Respect earned | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Respect earned

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
One of the reprecussions of the Stafford controversy is that some of the spotlight has been taken away from Richmond's amazing win on Saturday.

Whatever you say about the opposition and the context of the game, to conduct the biggest comeback ever in the club's grand history was a momentus acheivement. It got deservedly significant coverage in the Sunday Herald Sun.

But it disappeared off the radar screen when the Stafford incident became the Gerard Healy-led media circus on Sunday morning. Since then, the Stafford incident and to a lesser extent Hawthorn's woes have got more mileage out of the match then Richmond's side of the tale. Notably Mike Shehan, notorious for jumping on and off bandwagons in his Monday column faster then a gymnast, ignored it entirely.

When it has been mentioned, it has been rather disparingly referred within the context of Everitt's injury being the deciding point of the game. Obviously it was a significant moment in the game, but by no stretch did it automatically mean that Richmond would kick the next 14 goals. And let's not forget that Richmond managed to outscore the Hawks in the last quarter despite coming off a five-day break and having their star forward Richo off the ground.

I'm not bitter or upset about this downplaying of Richmond's win, just making an observation. But I do think not enough respect has been given to the Tigers for their magnificent victory, an effort few even here thought they were capable of.

And it's easy to forget how dismal the sides hopes looked after Round 1 and a dismal pre-season; discussion amongst Tiger fans seemed to centre around when Frawley would get the sack. Now the Tigers have won 4 matches in a row by 20 points or more and a finals spot is there for the taking. Not only was the Hawthorn win courageous, but to turn around the season in just a month has been equally courageous.

The mass media can please themselves, but Richmond fans are entitled to have a lot more faith in their side for the rest of this season. I know they've earned my respect.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Top post wagstaff.

The next two games especially the Essendon one will still be in people's minds before they judge Richmond. Respect will only come with at least honourable performances in both games. This is going to be difficult with possibly most of our talls out so I believe we should be judged not only on the result but also on how competitive we are. If we cave from the start as in past encounters then sadly the past 4 wins will count for nothing in the eyes of the footy world and in many of our own supporters. However if we win at least one or hopefully both of these games then watch the media bandwagon jump on the Tigers.

Car'n the Tigers........Stick it up 'em!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I couldn't care less what the media think of us, I actually get nervous when we're flavour of the month and everyone is pumping up Richmond players tyres.

Mike Sheehan can stay off our bandwagon, and Robert (legend in your own lunch-box, dob in Stafford) Walls isn't much better.

I really hope the fans respect what the team has done though, and I hope it continues so it shows in membership sales.

I agree we got very little recognition for what was a remarkable win, and would be remarkable no matter what team did it.

All the Hawks officials and fans did was whinge, when some congratulations might have been appropriate.

If it was Collingwood that came back from the brinks like that imagine how thick the sport sections of the papers would be with all the articles of praise.

Anyway who needs them all, keep up the work Tiges. I hope the fans appreciate the new endevour, I know I do.

Go Tiges.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I have to say Rosy, if nothing else, what I got out of Saturday's win was some faith in the players that they are starting to play as a team, rather than individuals and what a difference it makes.

Have to admit that at ¼ time I had that 'here we go again' feeling. I was upset and disappointed, so to see us actually turn the situation around in the last 2 ½ quarters was inspirational and an indication to me that we're on the right track.

I agree that the focus on Staff has taken away from the win. But, don't worry about it Wagstaff, I'm sure wins in the coming weeks will more than make up for it. ;) Here's hoping anyway.

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
It's been a very good start to the year, much better than most of us thought it would, I think, and has even gagged some of the club's more relentless critics on this board.

It's going to be a hell of a tough month, though. Any team will struggle against Port, Essendon and West Coast with so many injured talls. I fear the prophets of doom may well be resurrected.

I agree with Rosy, it seems any time the media talk us up, we take a dive, so they can keep up the Collingwood hype for all I care! As for Mr Sheehan, I reckon it's pretty obvious he doesn't like Richmond and has no time for them - he'll be the first to lay the boot in the minute we have a bad loss.

As for the team - hats off to a great start. They had to win these ones if we're a chance for September action - especially as we've drawn some very hard games this year. The most encouraging thing is to see improvement - for most of us this is all we asked for. It's great to see a midfield that's capable of playing modern footy and, while I don't want to gush, when was the last time we had this many promising youngsters in the team?