Retire / Trade / Delist | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Retire / Trade / Delist

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Seven. But if we rookie Cumberland and Biggie, we will need to bump up two of the current rookies because our rookie list is full, so five.

But if we opt to tryout players for the last list spot during pre-season, then we will need to bump up another rookie, so we will take 4 picks only. So we may trade up a pick if we can but I hope not.

Personally, I can’t see how this is rocket science for us this year. We have 5 picks in the top 30. Make a list of who we think are the best 30 players, in descending order of bestness.

Then, when it is our turn, read out the highest ranked name on the list. Repeat five times. Job done. What other team of recruiters will be able to hit the bar after half an hour on the second night.

How hard can this be?

Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Seven. But if we rookie Cumberland and Biggie, we will need to bump up two of the current rookies because our rookie list is full, so five.

But if we opt to tryout players for the last list spot during pre-season, then we will need to bump up another rookie, so we will take 4 picks only. So we may trade up a pick if we can but I hope not.

Personally, I can’t see how this is rocket science for us this year. We have 5 picks in the top 30. Make a list of who we think are the best 30 players, in descending order of bestness.

Then, when it is our turn, read out the highest ranked name on the list. Repeat five times. Job done. What other team of recruiters will be able to hit the bar after half an hour on the second night.

How hard can this be?
agreed. In other years it might make sense to keep a spot open for the SPC tryouts.
Sure we grabbed Stacky and Mansell, which were better alternatives than draft pick 89.
But this year we can use pick 29 and should use it and lock the squad in early.

We have the mid season draft to pick up the next Stacky

Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
agreed. In other years it might make sense to keep a spot open for the SPC tryouts.
Sure we grabbed Stacky and Mansell, which were better alternatives than draft pick 89.
But this year we can use pick 29 and should use it and lock the squad in early.

We have the mid season draft to pick up the next Stacky
We will probably need to use the MSD to pick up another tall, especially if we have a few injuries in this area and end up drafting mainly midfielders. Surely, there will be a number of tall players who haven't had much opportunity to play in 2021, especially in Victoria. Many clubs used the PSD in this way a few months ago.

Reactions: 1 user

Jewell

Tiger Cub
May 4, 2006
Take five picks this year, three next....hope we select well. Club has done well to put itself in this position. If we fall just short this year then those who were calling for a Mitchell or O'Meara will be proven right. If we finish in the lower half of the top eight or lower then we have a great headstart on our renewal for the next tilt

Reactions: 1 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Take five picks this year, three next....hope we select well. Club has done well to put itself in this position. If we fall just short this year then those who were calling for a Mitchell or O'Meara will be proven right. If we finish in the lower half of the top eight or lower then we have a great headstart on our renewal for the next tilt
Yep.

We may even roll our 2023 First round pick into next year. That will give us 9 early picks over two years. It is just up to the recruiters to call out the right names on the nights.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

How hard can this be?
What's the point of the rookie list. Just have 44 spots.

Reactions: 5 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
What's the point of the rookie list. Just have 44 spots.
Agree. It is all a pretty useless exercise. As you say, just set a number for players on the list and leave it at that. I am sure they can increase the salary cap to include the rookie contracts and allow one year contracts on the list. If the AFLPA is concerned they can set a maximum number for one year contracts on the list.

It would actually help with trading because if clubs are adding 6-10 players onto their list each year, they would have more currency to trade, like 5th and 6th round picks.

The competition has moved on beyond rookie lists.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Agree. It is all a pretty useless exercise. As you say, just set a number for players on the list and leave it at that. I am sure they can increase the salary cap to include the rookie contracts and allow one year contracts on the list. If the AFLPA is concerned they can set a maximum number for one year contracts on the list.

It would actually help with trading because if clubs are adding 6-10 players onto their list each year, they would have more currency to trade, like 5th and 6th round picks.

The competition has moved on beyond rookie lists.
Trouble is if we went back to just a main list after a few years clubs would say "we need a list we can place untried youngster on"

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yep.

We may even roll our 2023 First round pick into next year. That will give us 9 early picks over two years. It is just up to the recruiters to call out the right names on the nights.
Yer, sure, but what makes many Tiger fans nervous is the recent history of when we had rich draft hands ... from Tambling to Danny Meyers etc etc. You know it well.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Trouble is if we went back to just a main list after a few years clubs would say "we need a list we can place untried youngster on"
Yeah, they probably will. it seems pretty useless at the moment though. Clubs are filling them with mature guys like Pickett and Aarts and third or fourth year players like Miller and co. They still need a list for untried youngsters right now anyway.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yer, sure, but what makes many Tiger fans nervous is the recent history of when we had rich draft hands ... from Tambling to Danny Meyers etc etc. You know it well.
Of course, I do. Since then the current recruiters have built a list that has won three flags, even with some more dodgy early picks. Our recent history makes me slightly less nervous……maybe.

Nonetheless, they have no choice but the rebuild via the draft, unless they want to end up a Geelong-style nursing home. History suggests that the best way to do it is to hit the draft hard over three years.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Of course, I do. Since then the current recruiters have built a list that has won three flags, even with some more dodgy early picks. Our recent history makes me slightly less nervous……maybe.

Nonetheless, they have no choice but the rebuild via the draft, unless they want to end up a Geelong-style nursing home. History suggests that the best way to do it is to hit the draft hard over three years.
Yep, I'm totally with you. Ditto the Dawks approach to FA top-ups has failed and now stuck with a load of them that are highly-paid and contracted, but worth nothing like they gave up for them.

Jewell

Tiger Cub
May 4, 2006
Of course, But as an organisation we just have to get better at this. And I'm confident that we are building better processes to do so. Drafting is the foundation of any successful club...has to be

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Royal Kebabs and Kebab Connection are both in lolnorf .. you can thank me later ..
Was it a kebab or hot dog stand / seller that a few of the Norf boys bashed up back in the King Carey Stevens days? Out front of that micro brewery on Flemington Rd.?

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Was it a kebab or hot dog stand / seller that a few of the Norf boys bashed up back in the King Carey Stevens days? Out front of that micro brewery on Flemington Rd.?
wow that's a good one 5skull..
my vague memory tells me it was a hot dog guy ... and David King was one of the bashers ...