Retirements 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Retirements 2020

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
As others have said, his fall from grace has been spectacular. Makes me wonder if there was any truth to some of the sordid rumors floating around in recent years.
[/QUOTE]

As Pauline would say, Please explain.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Yeah, my favourite player of that era. Never stepped up to be the no. 1 gun mid that we hoped, but had a great career as a CHB who also could run and distribute. Remember him winning a game with almost the last kick of the game at the Docklands, Hawthorn or the Dogs maybe? And of course the rushing the ball for points incident which led to the rule change.

Smart player.
I think you are referring to the win over Brisbane at the Docklands where he kicked the sealer. Wallace was coach at the time and Tambling was involved in running it off half back in that final play.

Reactions: 1 user

Whacker

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2010
Kade Simpson. imagine the legacy, good as it is, if he had played at a successful club!!

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Kade Simpson. imagine the legacy, good as it is, if he had played at a successful club!!

Quality clubman for the Blues Simpson, was a very good distributor from half back and a courageous player for his stature not a big bloke.

Professional and along with Humphrey Kreuzer the Blues are going to lose a lot of leadership with the departure of two of the very few Carlton players I actually respect.

These guys will be missed at Princess Park.

Reactions: 4 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
He was a good player for them, very, very honest player. Someone I didn’t mind watching even if he was in the wrong jumper. Some players you just respect for giving everything no matter what. I think he extracted all his talent and bows out knowing he never wasted a thing.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting Kreuszer Simpson and Gibbs all retired.

How often these 3 featured in their bests against us wouldve been fairly often.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Puopolo to join Cyril retired with Gazza and Betts not far off being done.

Luckily for Bwoooce, Tippa, Jordy De fatty,, Sportsbetenson, Flyin Ryan, Papley and Harley Cameron are still playing.

• Haha

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Rookie for the TIgers for a year that'd really get the media sooks pisssing their pants :mhihi

With Soldo out for a year, I'd seriously consider Kreuzer as a rookie. Cotchin and Kreuzer getting the band back together again would really p!ss off the Blues.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yeah, my favourite player of that era. Never stepped up to be the no. 1 gun mid that we hoped, but had a great career as a CHB who also could run and distribute. Remember him winning a game with almost the last kick of the game at the Docklands, Hawthorn or the Dogs maybe? And of course the rushing the ball for points incident which led to the rule change.

Smart player.
Wining kick v Lions I think.

sconies

Tiger Rookie
Aug 22, 2019
welp.
Sam Jacobs is out.

Sam Jacobs has announced his retirement after 208 games.

Jacobs was contracted for 2021 but has decided he won’t go on after a decorated career at three clubs.

The 32-year old was selected by Carlton in the 2007 Rookie Draft and played 17 games for the Blues before becoming one of the AFL’s most dominant ruckmen at Adelaide where he played 184 games.

During this time, he was named in the Virgin Australia AFL All Australia squad three times (2012, 2014 and 2017).

Jacobs moved to Sydney with his young family ahead of the 2020 season and played seven games for the GIANTS.

Jacobs said he retires content that he got everything out of his body.

“Things didn’t quite go to plan this year and I got out with real happiness and I’m really proud of the career I’ve been very luck to be part of three great clubs," said Jacobs.

“With our second child due in November, it’s time to put my family first and it just feels like the time is right and I’m really excited about what’s next.

“As footballers, we live a very stressful life at times and you can’t switch off and I honestly feel like I haven’t switched off for 14 years.

“I’ve made lifelong friends at the three clubs I’ve been fortunate enough to play at and I thank them all for the opportunity.”

GIANTS General Manager Jason McCartney thanked Jacobs for his service to the club.

“Sam had a big impact on our club in a short space of time and we thank him for his contribution over the past 12 months,” said McCartney.

“We wish Sam, his wife Isabelle, daughter Imogen and baby Jacobs all the best for their future back in Adelaide.”