Revenue grabbers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Revenue grabbers

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
crackertiger said:
Talking about revenue grabbers, how about this new "Water Tank Tax". $66 per year for collecting rain water and saving water. 

***king joke!
and the poor farmers who have to pay for the water that falls out of the sky into their dams no where near catchments not right nor is the above tax when they want to you to get a tank etc yet they discourage you by putting that tax on it :'(

the golden

Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
skybeau said:
Gypsy__Jazz said:
LidsandBling said:
going slower when tailgated is a dumb sh!t attitude. you are being tailgated for a reason. you are probably going too slow in the right lane.

keep left unless overtaking and give way people. you wont get tailgated.
Idiots still tailgate.

Simple way to deal with it is to stand on the brakes. The stooges tend to back off then.

If you're getting tailgated on a freeway, then you should move across, thats for sure.  If you're getting tailgated in the left lane, slow down and *smile* them off, its their fault.  My issue with tailgaters is on the single lane roads...and I always slow down if they tailgate me at the speed limit on those roads.

I had a L-plater tailgating me on the freeway on Saturday, it was bizarre, she wouldn't leave me alone no matter how fast I went.  So we played tag all the way to Fountain gate, overtaking each other in turn.  I don't think her mum was very impressed (I got a glare everytime they went past me), but the driver was having a grin and the two kids in the back gave me a wave as we went past each other. 
the freeway bit depends on where your going along the eastern if you want hoddles street no probs but if you want alexandra p thats another fair enough keep out of the middle lane unless overtaking but at times there are 4-5 lanes plant of room the speed limit is that and i can not afford to get a ticket if i did cause i was silly fair enough but i will not tollerate been pushed !

in reguards to the learner thats disgusting i would have taken her number plate number down to the police station and told them and made sure that they had words with them about the way they are teaching their kid and what might happen to her or someone innocent she does not deserve the license she is getting ! ,[what you said sounded funny i would not have done that as i would be worried about an up and coming accident that twit and her twit mum will have soon]

skybeau

Tiger Champion
Mar 19, 2006
Yarragon
the golden said:
in reguards to the learner thats disgusting i would have taken her number plate number down to the police station and told them and made sure that they had words with them about the way they are teaching their kid and what might happen to her or someone innocent she does not deserve the license she is getting ! ,[what you said sounded funny i would not have done that as i would be worried about an up and coming accident that twit and her twit mum will have soon]

Yeah, to be honest I didn't think of it like that...I was too busy having a bit of fun with it all ;)

the golden

Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
skybeau said:
the golden said:

Yeah, to be honest I didn't think of it like that...I was too busy having a bit of fun with it all ;)
yes i could see the funny side of it too don't worry and could see how you would get slightly caught up in it all having abit of fun the daught did but could see mum couldn't :hihi

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
Ghost of Punt Road said:
If we slow everyone down to 5k/hour, we will save even MORE lives.

If we only save one more life it would be worth it.

Anyone got any other false cliche's I can throw in?

just about any ad slogan the tac have used in the last 25 years

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Gypsy__Jazz said:
LidsandBling said:
going slower when tailgated is a dumb sh!t attitude. you are being tailgated for a reason. you are probably going too slow in the right lane.

keep left unless overtaking and give way people. you wont get tailgated.

Idiots still tailgate.

Simple way to deal with it is to stand on the brakes. The stooges tend to back off then.

Agree Gyp. You shouldn't tailgate full stop.

as I've said before on this thread, the whole concept of revenue raising sh!ts me rith off. Its simple, if you don't want to get fined, don't speed, let your meter expire etc. Fines suck, and I've copped heaps, but guess who has been at fault in every single one? me.

As I've also said before, I'd like to fines indexed to people's wages, being the evil pinko *smile* that I am.

The stories on Today Tonight on this topic always crack me up. One night its 'Evil Drivers Speed Past Primary Scool' next its 'Evil government speed camera revue raising' . Pretty funny.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
I agree tigersnake. It is funny, a certain section of the community always whinges about how people should take responsibility for their own actions, then are whinging whenever they themselves are fined for doing the wrong thing. Ol' Laura Norder should only apply to certain sections of the community apparently.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Lowering the speed limit would be great news for the Government:

Pedestrian deaths drive push for speed-limit cuts
http://www.theage.com.au/national/pedestrian-deaths-drive-push-for-speedlimit-cuts-20090110-7e21.html

...a chance for them to make out they are doing something as well as giving them a greater chance at raising even more revenue as people get frustrated at crawling along a freeway at a snail's pace.

As if it isn't confusing enough with all the variable speed limit signs, school hour signs and all the other ways the Government top up their coffers.

Oh....and how many people died on roads this Christmas period? and 2008 in total?

Pfffft...so much for them being called 'safety cameras' ::)

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
The speed zones that sometimes annoy me are the school ones, particularly those which in the past haven't had lights or variable speed signs. I don't have kids, how am I supposed to know if a school if open for business or not given that some schools have different holidays to others? Also, what is the definition of "open for business"? If one teacher shows up and opens the school and no one else shows up, is it "open for business"?

What, am I expected to stop at every school, walk into the place and ask if it is "open for business"? Also, I
don't believe that a car requires a clock for roadworthy. How am I supposed to know the exact time?

Thankfully, now most schools have variable speed signs installed in the appropriate areas. But what happens if these signs malfunction as I've seen on some occasions where the sign has failed in one direction but not the other? Is the motorist to blame? What takes precedence? The sign or the school being open for business? Can you argue that if the sign if not functioning correcting, the speed limit doesn't apply or once again is the motorist repsonsible for finding if the school in question in open for business or not? ie, can the speed signs be taken as a reliable indicator?

While I'm here, I'd like to point out to those who say that tyre wear is a factor on their speedo, as the tyres wear, the shorter the distance the car travels with each tyre revolution. Tyre wear works in the favour of the driver, not the government. Increasing tyre pressure on the other hand, will work the other way.

Also while I'm hear, I'd like to encourage people to keep speeding as long as they do so safely. Since the government includes speeding fine revenue in the budget, it is obviously a revenue raising device so to prevent the government from lowering speed limits to even lower limits so everyone gets fined, can those who speed, keep doing it to prevent a big hole in the budget? Thanks

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
Also while I'm hear, I'd like to encourage people to keep speeding as long as they do so safely.

1-eyed,
Totally agree.

A perfect example yesterday when i was driving.....an older bloke pulled out to pass a car doing about 95-99km/h in a 100km/h zone....but what does he do?
He sits on 100km/h to pass therefore making the actual passing maneuver last far longer than it needed to if he hd gone up to say 105km/h to overtake.

People are so scared of doing a few kilometres over the speed limit and getting caught by one of the hidden speed cameras under bridges or police cars hiding behind bushes, that they are driving more dangerously, because I would have thought being on the wrong side of the road longer would be more dangerous than speeding past and getting back onto your side of the road as quick as possible.... ???

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Liverpool said:
1-eyed,
Totally agree.

A perfect example yesterday when i was driving.....an older bloke pulled out to pass a car doing about 95-99km/h in a 100km/h zone....but what does he do?
He sits on 100km/h to pass therefore making the actual passing maneuver last far longer than it needed to if he hd gone up to say 105km/h to overtake.

People are so scared of doing a few kilometres over the speed limit and getting caught by one of the hidden speed cameras under bridges or police cars hiding behind bushes, that they are driving more dangerously, because I would have thought being on the wrong side of the road longer would be more dangerous than speeding past and getting back onto your side of the road as quick as possible.... ???

I've often thought that you should be allowed to go 20 over the limit if overtaking on the other side of the road. Like you said, much safer to pass quickly than take forever. I wonder how many accidents have actually been caused by speed limits and cameras. For me, my car being pretty old sometimes can't do the speed limit in some areas. I'm glad when people pass me quickly and safely. It prevents drivers behind from getting frustrated and me copping abuse. I don't like holding other people up.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Legends of 1980 said:
I may be cynical, but I noticed when revenue was down from fines, the government took to lowering speed limits on a lot of roads, increasing the chance of being fined on what is now a 40kph or 50 kph road when it was 60k. If 60 was so dangerous before why did it take so long to change the limits?
I'm not having a go at you meltiger and totally agree that measures should be taken to lower the number of accidents. It's just I get frustrated with this government and their spin. Where does the fines collected go? Consolidated revenue. If the government were fair dinkum, all the money collected from speeding fines would go to makes roads safer, education etc.

I guess we'll have to look to see if revenue is down from speeding fines before seeing if the government want to lower speed limits again ;)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Why do these 40K signs show 8.00am to 9.30am when most kids are well into their 2nd class by 9.30am ??

A school zone on a major road towards the City has virtually no kids walking around during these times and yet we all have to drive like turtles.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Unless you are a race car driver, can anyone tell me why any car sold in Australia needs a speed limit of over 120km per hour?

I am sure it would be hugely unpopular with rev heads but if a Government was serious about saving lives and getting people to stick to the speed limit then you'd have the speedometer on your car clamped to stick within the speed limits.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Unless you are a race car driver, can anyone tell me why any car sold in Australia needs a speed limit of over 120km per hour?

I am sure it would be hugely unpopular with rev heads but seriously if a Government was serious about saving lives and getting people to stick to the speed limit then you'd have the speedometer on your car clamped to stick within the speed limits.
That's one question I've been asking for years Oldie.

Because of these ridiculous under 10km/ph fines, would'nt it make more sense to reduce the range of speed on the speedo which would then enlarge the range of 10km increments making it easier for a driver to see if they're driving at 63km/ph or 68km/ph.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
TigerForce said:
Why do these 40K signs show 8.00am to 9.30am when most kids are well into their 2nd class by 9.30am ??

A school zone on a major road towards the City has virtually no kids walking around during these times and yet we all have to drive like turtles.

Around my area, most of kids are gone from school after 3:20 in the afternoon so we end up driving at 40kph in front of the school and then 70kph past all the kids a bit further down the road.

I also think that pedestrians should be banned from crossing the road within a kilometre either end of a school speed zone. I see kids (and parents) crossing the road in the faster speed zones when there is a school crossing a couple of hundred metres down the road when there is no apparent reason why they couldn't cross at the school and walk down the other side. It's about time pedestrians are forced to take responsibility for their own actions.

But that'll never happen while we have a pedestrian council that blames everything on the poor motorist. I complained to a school in my local a while ago because there groups of students (5 or 6 at a time) standing in the middle of the road talking among themselves, half of them with their backs to the traffic. The final straw was when I saw a kid climbing down a retaining wall (the two sides of the road in this particular area are about 3 or 4 metres seperated vertically). At the bottom of this wall there is about 3 feet of space to the road (a 70 zone). If this kid had fallen, there is no doubt that he would have been hit by a car. Once again, no reason why he couldn't cross at the school and walk down the other side. The good news is that the school must have taken action because I haven't seen any groups of students wandering all over the road since.

If the pedestrian council really cared about pedestrians, why don't they do something useful and put pressure on the government for proper pedestrian walkways at shopping centres? Also, a what about kids getting run over by reversing vehicles in driveways. Look around. How many houses are there where you can get from the street to the front door without using the driveway? Are parents not responsible for where their kids play?

Never happen. It's all too hard or not economical. After all, fitting the maximum amount of cars into a shopping centre parking lot is much more important than safety! It's all too easy to just blame the motorist when pedestrians are where they shouldn't be.