Reversal a one-off: Gaspar | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Reversal a one-off: Gaspar

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Reversal a one-off: Gaspar
By Len Johnson
May 01 2003

Darren Gaspar is not expecting another turnaround game like last weekend's against Hawthorn in his footballing lifetime, much less this week against Port Adelaide.

Gaspar, who plays his 150th game for the Tigers against Port at Football Park on Saturday night, said the reversal of a 51-point deficit to a 20-point win against the Hawks was a new experience.

"In my time playing football, it's never happened before like that," said Gaspar before training at Punt Road yesterday afternoon.

"A couple of players said it won't happen again."

It certainly won't against Port this weekend. The in-form Crows managed only nine goals against the Power in last Saturday night's derby - five fewer than the Tigers scored in succession as they roared back against Hawthorn.

"We've got to come out firing," Gaspar said.

"It should be a good game. We haven't beaten Port Adelaide over there for a number of years.

"It's a huge challenge for us; we've just got to step up."

Richmond has never beaten the Power in Adelaide, in fact, and omens do not look good for this weekend, even if Matthew Primus misses out for Port.

Gaspar said that Richmond, in second place with a 4-1 record, had been at its best recently when 22 players made a contribution.

"That's the key," Gaspar said. "We've been playing our best football when everyone has been playing well and doing something.

"We've won four in a row, but we're not getting too carried away. It's only early."

Originally from Perth, Gaspar played 21 games in two seasons with Sydney before moving to Punt Road.

He resisted overtures from Fremantle to move back to Perth before signing his present contract with the Tigers. The 150 games with the club qualifies him for automatic life membership.

"It's a huge honour," Gaspar said.

His debut with the Swans seemed a lifetime away, he said. "It's funny - when I go up there, it seems like it didn't happen. It was that long ago. Richmond Football Club has been terrific to me and my wife."

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
On the other side of the coin, they have never beaten us over here either. We also did get close once before, only going down by 2 points.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
I thouight we one once over there when it p..d down rain and a light tower was hit by lightning or was that the crows.

Knighter was captaining and the game could have been called off in the third quarter when the SA's were in front giving them the win. The SA captain decided to play on and we eventually won.

Can someone correct me

Lets Roar

Khan

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
I thouight we one once over there when it p..d down rain and a light tower was hit by lightning or was that the crows.

Knighter was captaining and the game could have been called off in the third quarter when the SA's were in front giving them the win. The SA captain decided to play on and we eventually won.

Can someone correct me

Lets Roar

Khan

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Khan that was at Footy Park against the Crows in '97 i think maybe '98. I was there with my mate Knucks (another Richmond supporter here in SA) and it was pissing down. When the siren went me and him were belting out the Tiger song over and over again with Steven Trigg sitting right behind us. It was great, singing the song as all the crows fans were walking out jsut looking at us unable to say anything. WE were getting rained on and getting really wet but i have never felt better. Was a gretat start to the night, ahd to walk a long way to get a cab in the rain and eventualyl ended up getting dry and going into town to the holy place that once was Players Bar and eventually Joplins.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
That game where it rained and the lights went out on some of the towers was actually in 1999, against the Crows. We got drenched, but who cared. :)

We haven't beaten Port over there yet, but there's a first time for everything.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
When was that other really wet game at Footy Park when Chaff pumped it long to full forward with about 10 seconds to go and two of our blokes were 10 metres out from goal (think it might have been Evans and Rogers) and just couldn't pick the ball up cos it was so wet and the siren went - we lost by a couple of points.
I nearly jumped through the screen and picked it for them that night - one of the most frustrating things to watch.

Anyone remember that game?

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
Yes, we went down by two points that night Dean3! I think Brett Evans had a shot on goal with a minute or two left and couldn't make the distance from about 25 metres. Must've been like kicking a bag of cement!

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I do Dean. That game was against Port and a gale was blowing to the right of screen (southern) end of Footy Park. We had managed only 1.7 to 3/4 time but conditions were so bad that Port had only kicked 4.7 or something and we had the wind in the last quarter. From memory could only kick points for most of the quarter until we got 2 quick goals out of nowhere with about 5 minutes to go. Just couldn't get the last and the best chance was the one Deano mentioned with about 30 secs to go and the ball was pumped long to about 20m out from goal and Evans couldn't pick the bloody ball properly and I think had a wild shot which missed. Lost by 2 points 3.12 to 4.8 :-\.

I heard it's going to be wet in Adelaide this weekend. Can any of our SA locals confirm?

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Yep Mighty Tiges. The forecast has changed. It pissed down yesterday here and rained a bit htis morning but long range forecast in todays Advertiser says it is going to be 19 fine with morning cloud. I hope we beat them, we are due to beat them over here. Would do them good to shut them up. My boss is a power fan and wants me to make a bet. Shall see, i have faith in the boys.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Dean3 said:

Anyone remember that game?

Remember it well Dean. It was my frist trip over to Footy Park.
Four things I remember clearly

* Arriving at the ground and experiencing road rage from a Port supporter who we beat to a carpark, and he told us to get the f away from the gound, we're not welcome.

*Sitting out in the steady rain all night.

*A free not paid, I think to Brodder?, that would have probably resulted in a winning goal to us.

*My clearest memory was how friendly all the Port people sitting around us were. I wanted to see sledging and fireworks, but they were very welcoming.
Then again freezing in the rain all night probably leaves no energy spare to indulge in hostility.

We almost had them, we'll beat them this week. I can feel it in my bones, ha.

Go Tiges.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Football Park is a crap place to watch football. Crows supporters are a disgrace, they show no passion except when a goal is kicked even then you wont get a word out of some of them. When the yare losing they are even more quiet . No atmosphere at all, tis a disgrace, and usually those you do wish to banter with are too friendly and it is no fun.

Port supporters are the opposite. Absolute ferals with no idea and will bag the umpire from the first bounce down. They too dont get passionate too often but when they do it is in the form of abuse and foul language. Most Port supporters though i will give them credit for though are die hards like Richmond supporters. I gotta give them respect for that. Crows on the other hand i have no respect for. A total joke in my opinion. I like McLeod and Torney and Ricciuto but that is about it. Jsut wish McLeod didnt save his best games for vs Richmond.