RFC mass vacination | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RFC mass vacination

Ruby

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 31, 2006
I also do not understand the concern about the vaccination. By the time the TGA approves the various options, there will be heaps of data on efficacy and safety.

I have been thinking about the alternative vaccinations. Assuming we have a choice, which one to have.

On the weekend, I asked a mate who is an emergency physician and is front line at a Melbourne public hospital which out of the pfizer, moderna or astrazeneca vaccine he would choose if all were available. His response was 'the first one I could get my hands on'.

Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Understand the issue, but I would expect the money spent on it is far more than a normal 1 year funding for a new vaccine. It would be interesting to see what money would be spent on that research across a 10 year period and how much has been spent in the last year. I'd suspect it would be much higher than 10% of the 10 year investment.

They have managed to compress it by spending a lot more on it and redirecting funds from other potential treatments / vaccines.
Chances are it'll be OK. But what use is history if it doesn't teach?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Chances are it'll be OK. But what use is history if it doesn't teach?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

Understand that too, but these drugs were not "rushed" like the Covid one and still had issues. If you are using that as an example, then you would never take a vaccine at all right as there is always a risk as clearly history shows us that. Unfortunately there is nothing we can take on the planet that is zero risk, even food as we know is not zero risk, ie. could be contaminated as history shows us that but you don't stop eating just in case.

Everything we do in all our lives has an element of risk to it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Understand that too, but these drugs were not "rushed" like the Covid one and still had issues. If you are using that as an example, then you would never take a vaccine at all right as there is always a risk as clearly history shows us that. Unfortunately there is nothing we can take on the planet that is zero risk, even food as we know is not zero risk, ie. could be contaminated as history shows us that but you don't stop eating just in case.

Everything we do in all our lives has an element of risk to it.
Sure, you take a risk when crossing an intersection that other drivers are going to stop for the red light. You can't live worrying about everything that could go wrong. But it's just a fact that such an extremely compressed timeframe increases the risk.

I'll no doubt end up getting the jab, but will be hoping any major issues have had time to come to light before then.

The Risks of Rushing a COVID-19 Vaccine

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
This is new tech never tested properly on humans and it’s rushed. The side effects and long term effects may not be known for a while or even years. I’d rather take my chance with the illness with a 99.8% survival rate. There are also admissions the vaccine won’t protect against transmission and will only protect against symptoms so what’s the point?

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Nah, they did that years ago.

DS
Oh my god. You mean the Govt has all my secret thoughts?
Terabytes of "Boobs, boobs, pizza, dusty, yessss, nooo, boobs, Fallout 4, peanuts, Dusty, yesss, boobs..."

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If you look at the history of vaccinations the risks and negative health consequences have been absolutely miniscule. And we do far better testing and know the science much better now.

I'm looking forward to the evil mutant superpowers I will develop if it does go terribly wrong anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ejort

Tiger Cub
Jul 30, 2020
...and I thought hanging out here instead of FB would get me away from the anti-vaxxers :p

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm looking forward to the evil mutant superpowers I will develop if it does go terribly wrong anyway.

are you insinuating that Jordan Degoey was an early adopter?

I understand why pregnant women would be pretty hesitant to get this jab,

but I reckon most others are a bit hysterical about it.

I think of it as kind like stubbing your toe on a grimy old gutter,

but a bit more targeted and better for society.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Do you mean ever? Or because you believe its been rushed?

I'm intrigued on people that are anti-vaccine, is it because of potential side effects (other countries will see this 1st, we can kind of wait and see) or something else?
This is the conversation society needs. Curiosity. Twitter is just too much point scoring and no dialogue.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Yes, mostly that a ten-year process has been compressed into one. And it's not like the whole world has been working on it; they've worked in their own little pockets, each trying to be first.

Just human nature to be... cautious.
There is a good doco on Netflix on how they are accelerating - I share similar concerns but this helped me. The short circuiting so far is basically beginning the Next step while still doing the original step with some stats involved. Long range studies would remain impossible though. Just like COVID long range studies.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
This is new tech never tested properly on humans and it’s rushed. The side effects and long term effects may not be known for a while or even years. I’d rather take my chance with the illness with a 99.8% survival rate. There are also admissions the vaccine won’t protect against transmission and will only protect against symptoms so what’s the point?
The flip argument is the vaccine will have a much greater than 99.8% survival rate.
and I’d argue if you don’t take the vaccine and live normally you will almost certainly be exposed to COVID. You also don’t know if asymptomatic COVID drops your life expectancy by 10 years (hypothetically speaking).

im not a history boffin but I think the worst vaccine issue was the one that caused polio in the 50s. I’d imagine we’ve incorporated the lessons from that into the testing / manufacturing set ups but at the end of the day as a user we are trusting the regulatory bodies to do a good job.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There is a good doco on Netflix on how they are accelerating - I share similar concerns but this helped me. The short circuiting so far is basically beginning the Next step while still doing the original step with some stats involved. Long range studies would remain impossible though. Just like COVID long range studies.
Even so I hope there is a government campaign to bring people up to speed rather than simply expect everyone to follow like lemmings. I am entitled to ask the government/doctor what are the side effects and the risks and receive an honest answer. Being 100% truthful may be difficult if there are concerns as they won't want people shunning the vaccine in droves.

PS I strongly object to people with my attitude being lumped in with "anti-vaxxers".

It's the 'vaccine hesitant', not anti-vaxxers, who are troubling public health experts

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Even so I hope there is a government campaign to bring people up to speed rather than simply expect everyone to follow like lemmings. I am entitled to ask the government/doctor what are the side effects and the risks and receive an honest answer. Being 100% truthful may be difficult if there are concerns as they won't want people shunning the vaccine in droves.

PS I strongly object to people with my attitude being lumped in with "anti-vaxxers".

It's the 'vaccine hesitant', not anti-vaxxers, who are troubling public health experts

I don’t hold out much hope for this. There has been a distinct lack of transparency to the public in the criteria used for decision making so far. Agree full transparency is the way to go.

Doesn’t sound like an ignore science attitude to me. Sounds like a show me the science attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Doesn’t sound like an ignore science attitude to me. Sounds like a show me the science attitude.
As said earlier, chances are it will be effected with no problems. It's just a unique situation where almost everybody will need to get it before it has established a track record of safety.

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Interesting choice, no vaccine no potential side effects, but no vaccine you will get COVID and you may live but it is not pleasant (see Greg Norman).
As the 'herd' grows so will their reluctance to continue with current precautions and the virus will rapidly spread (like common cold). When I get the jab
out goes social distancing and masks. A line up at Punt Road is looking more likely ;)

• Haha

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Is your preference to have continued rolling lockdowns instead of vaccination (with decent data on known risks as it currently stands) and a return to normality?
i rarely go out nowadays anyway
i buy everything online and its delivered,
im used to watching sport on tv now
if you are comfortable getting the vaccine by all means get it, its your choice, im not telling you not to get it ,
I'm not anti vaccination
im sick of being told what my 'choices' are going to be

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A big part of the problem is that it is very difficult to have a reasoned discussion on this because the anti-vaxxers have poisoned the debate by spouting complete bulls***.

Hence the reluctance to really be transparent.

The info will no doubt be out there but it will not be so easy to find.

I still think the medical authorities need to trust the general public more, they should be up front with any risks and as much info as they can be. People can argue the toss with anti-vaxxers on Book of Face if they like but we should all be pointing to real research findings to drown out the misinformation which will no doubt be spread by the idiots who like to attract attention that way.

DS