Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It might not be your match (or career) but it can be your moment. Great mark on the stretch beating Saad to the pill in the last minute, then took the right option to centre it to Hopper, who went long for Lynch to tie it up.

Dimma was very happy with our pressure. I watched from the Great Northern Hotel in Byron so will leave it to others to comment on whether Mansell contributed much to that. The AFL site says he has 12 pressure acts, equal 10th for us with Baker. The old slow blokes Jack and Cotch had 16 and 15, respectively. Dusty had 14.

So.
You wanted me to read through pages, just for this? :D

I reckon pressure acts sometimes miss the mark. Someone like Jack gets a lot because a lot of ball is kicked to him, so if it hits the ground he has more chances for the stat. Dusty likewise- he is always near the ball, so if he doesnt win it he can get an easy pressure act.

For long stretches of the game the Blues couldnt clear their backline. teams cant clear the ball when forwards commit to running hard to space once the backs win the ball. there is no stat for it, and it is really hard for fans to know who is doing it well, It is hard to know how much Mansell contributed, but i reckon the MC would have very pleased with this aspect of our game.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
You wanted me to read through pages, just for this? :D

I reckon pressure acts sometimes miss the mark. Someone like Jack gets a lot because a lot of ball is kicked to him, so if it hits the ground he has more chances for the stat. Dusty likewise- he is always near the ball, so if he doesnt win it he can get an easy pressure act.

For long stretches of the game the Blues couldnt clear their backline. teams cant clear the ball when forwards commit to running hard to space once the backs win the ball. there is no stat for it, and it is really hard for fans to know who is doing it well, It is hard to know how much Mansell contributed, but i reckon the MC would have very pleased with this aspect of our game.
I didn't care if you read it or not, Brodders. I just had no intention of repeating myself!

I was just posting data, not reaching conclusions. Watching on the tele it's impossible to tell what he did off the ball. If he continues to be be picked we'll have our answer.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
So Mansell is playing the Castagna role?

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It's only a small thing, but he executed basic skills and didn't make any bad decisions in those final 2 minutes.

That's noteworthy I think

We'll find out if he contributed enough defensively when the Round 2 teams are announced

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It's only a small thing, but he executed basic skills and didn't make any bad decisions in those final 2 minutes.

That's noteworthy I think

We'll find out if he contributed enough defensively when the Round 2 teams are announced
Apart from what you mention about the last 2 minutes he didn’t seem to contribute offensively at all. I watched on TV so hard to determine how he we went defensively. The issue is that our forward line connection and execution was a mess, an absolute dog’s breakfast. We smashed Carlton in inside 50s and could only kick 8 goals. That is horrible. Scumwood doubled our score from 4 less inside 50s.

We need to improve our efficiency inside 50. Mansell doesn’t help that. He is a limited defensive footballer in an era where rule changes, such as stand, have severely limited that role. Witness the decline of George post 2020 to the point that he retired prematurely. I believe that his diminished ability to impact games via his major strength had a bearing on his decision.

Clarke or Cumberland are attacking players with natural goal sense and the ability to hit the scoreboard. That is what we need. Mansell is neither of those.

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
Well Richo was at the ground and mentioned Mansell as having low impact when talking about who we could potentially sub off. So take that for whatever it's worth.

Reactions: 2 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
The more i think of the game the more i can see Mansell had one job on Thursday night and that was to quell Saads offensive run all night. Dont think the coaching panel were concerned with any other input from him. I did bag him all night but perhaps he was following orders. I think Mansell will play on a needs basis unlike George who was a mainstay.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Apart from what you mention about the last 2 minutes he didn’t seem to contribute offensively at all. I watched on TV so hard to determine how he we went defensively. The issue is that our forward line connection and execution was a mess, an absolute dog’s breakfast. We smashed Carlton in inside 50s and could only kick 8 goals. That is horrible. Scumwood doubled our score from 4 less inside 50s.

We need to improve our efficiency inside 50. Mansell doesn’t help that. He is a limited defensive footballer in an era where rule changes, such as stand, have severely limited that role. Witness the decline of George post 2020 to the point that he retired prematurely. I believe that his diminished ability to impact games via his major strength had a bearing on his decision.

Clarke or Cumberland are attacking players with natural goal sense and the ability to hit the scoreboard. That is what we need. Mansell is neither of those.
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Mansell should be in the team. But our execution forward of centre has nothing to do with Mansell. This was on our midfield. They couldn’t hit a target. Their footskills was a mess.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Mansell should be in the team. But our execution forward of centre has nothing to do with Mansell. This was on our midfield. They couldn’t hit a target. Their footskills was a mess.
No the execution was not on Mansell. The delivery from the midfield was poor and finishing from forwards was no better. Graham, Bolton, Lynch and Miller all missed sodas. But my point is that Mansell took the place of Cumberland or Clarke who are both very good finishers and will give us a lot more in that area than Mansell ever could.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Cummo or Clarke might be better, Mansell may get dropped, or he might be persevered with and improve in the role, but criticism has been a shade harsh IMO. Wasn't terrible, did a few good things.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Mansell. Interesting player. An undersized tall back, strong in the air and with elite judgement - in the air. But a player who simply cannot win or use a ground ball. Not just a delist but a bloke who discredits whose who recruited him.

We all know who he is.

A small back? Insane. He does not know who his opponent is and cannot get near the fall anyway. He was good as a small back in the VFA? No, he wasn't he was eternally out of position and lost sight of any ball under the altitude of 2m. Disaster.

Did he pick fights? Who cares. He lost them all. Why anybody would keep him on the list after 2022 is a mystery.

Dimma loves him because he is a game under skilled HBF. But he has no ground game. Delist. And then the MC tried Mansell at SENIOR level as a defensive small forward in 2023 preseason. And. For the first time in his life Mansell won ground ball. And he could red ground play. Get involved.

On the back of this absurd development the MC played him on the park in R1 and the bloke was mediocre. And he was dropped.

Rhyan Mansell got the ultimate cuddle today - late sub. So he was very fresh. His confidence must have got a great boost.

He was terrific. Fresh and busy. And winning groundball.

If Nigel can level up he gives us great support for Maurice Rioli the Younger. And that will make things interesting.

In conclusion - Bravo, Nigel.

Reactions: 6 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Looks like George has handed over his Dimma pics to Mansell

• Haha

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Iced the game with a cool check side goal. I got this guy wrong.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
His subbing probably validated our lack of hard running and nip in that last quarter - which had been lacking earlier. Made an obvious difference.

Team structure and selection needs a 5 hour think tank session at The London this week. Few things to address and settle on.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Mansell. Interesting player. An undersized tall back, strong in the air and with elite judgement - in the air. But a player who simply cannot win or use a ground ball. Not just a delist but a bloke who discredits whose who recruited him.

We all know who he is.

A small back? Insane. He does not know who his opponent is and cannot get near the fall anyway. He was good as a small back in the VFA? No, he wasn't he was eternally out of position and lost sight of any ball under the altitude of 2m. Disaster.

Did he pick fights? Who cares. He lost them all. Why anybody would keep him on the list after 2022 is a mystery.

Dimma loves him because he is a game under skilled HBF. But he has no ground game. Delist. And then the MC tried Mansell at SENIOR level as a defensive small forward in 2023 preseason. And. For the first time in his life Mansell won ground ball. And he could red ground play. Get involved.

On the back of this absurd development the MC played him on the park in R1 and the bloke was mediocre. And he was dropped.

Rhyan Mansell got the ultimate cuddle today - late sub. So he was very fresh. His confidence must have got a great boost.

He was terrific. Fresh and busy. And winning groundball.

If Nigel can level up he gives us great support for Maurice Rioli the Younger. And that will make things interesting.

In conclusion - Bravo, Nigel.
Gee Whiz Jack. That was the longest back handed compliment I think I've read on these forums lol.