Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Bit surprised the AFL did not consider a review as the penalty was not severe enough.
That review could have then been extended to 4 weeks.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I dont get the lack of love for Rhyan as a player. He didnt do much wrong the other day. Then again I loved Jake King.

I understand we have Vlaus, Short and Gibcus and Nigel isnt better than those guys.

Reactions: 2 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I dont get the lack of love for Rhyan as a player. He didnt do much wrong the other day. Then again I loved Jake King.

I understand we have Vlaus, Short and Gibcus and Nigel isnt better than those guys.
I loved Jakey too but there is a world of difference. Jakey intimidated big blokes. Mansell gets swatted off by anyone with any size and instead picks on soft targets. Secondly Jake had an impact around the contest and with ball in hand. Mansell doesn't.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005

I like Mansell as well but this suspension could really hurt his career with so many other young blokes pushing up for a spot. He may of just thrown away his last chance at AFL level but would be very happy to be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Only 21 y.o, 15 games in and with a physique that's yet to furnish.

Wasn't great on the weekend but has some time to adapt to senior footy.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I like Mansell as well but this suspension could really hurt his career with so many other young blokes pushing up for a spot. He may of just thrown away his last chance at AFL level but would be very happy to be wrong.
He was probably going to be dropped to make way for a returning established player in any case. I see him as the classical ‘depth’ player. Good enough for VFL and to fill in for injuries, but not best 22.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I like Mansell, I like the way he plays. It might be wishful thinking, but I can see him continuing to develop into a solid AFL player.
I've noticed some improvement in his game, there's plenty of competition for a spot though.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Jake King was a seriously good footballer who wasnt fully appreciated because of how he looked, how he spoke, and how he acted on the field.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Hard to forget that one! BTW I was generalising regarding Mansell's tendency to give away free kicks and not a particular one during yesterdays game. There are times when you need a bit of a mongrel playing just like the Jake King days, blue collar workers with limits but useful at times
That chestnut again. Since his first 3 games, Mansell has given away less than 1 free a game. Tarrant this year 1.83, Grimes 1.25, Vlastuin 1, Miller 1. For a hardnut defender Mansell gives away no more frees than equivalent hardnuts. The reputation sticks purely as a result of his first 3 games at 2 frees against per game.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
That chestnut again. Since his first 3 games, Mansell has given away less than 1 free a game. Tarrant this year 1.83, Grimes 1.25, Vlastuin 1, Miller 1. For a hardnut defender Mansell gives away no more frees than equivalent hardnuts. The reputation sticks purely as a result of his first 3 games at 2 frees against per game.
C’mon don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story. Melee didn’t do too much wrong and kept his man quiet. He is a reliable stopper but not offensive enough for our game plan.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I love a bit of nasty in the forward half. A la Towner, a la Caddy. He's not a real clever kick but they do go straight. Could he be a SF?

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Jake King was a seriously good footballer who wasnt fully appreciated because of how he looked, how he spoke, and how he acted on the field.
I loved Jakey. Thats putting it lightly. If only he was at his peak when we were in our flag window. The bikie stuff didnt help.
I loved Jakey too but there is a world of difference. Jakey intimidated big blokes. Mansell gets swatted off by anyone with any size and instead picks on soft targets. Secondly Jake had an impact around the contest and with ball in hand. Mansell doesn't.

He is very young still. Needs more time, I would give it to him if I were the club to be honest.

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
he's too small and he has limited ability in the air and on his opposite side
some some our boys who are missing out would slice him to bits if he manned em up in a game.
stack, sonsie, hugo, ross, dow and cumberland immediately spring to mind.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
What’s happened to this kid?
Seem to have dropped off
Started a scrub fire yesterday in the VFL that had spot fires n flare ups happening all game long. One of the most entertaining games I've watched in a long time :)). Played o.k. too did young Nigel.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
He'll go close to winning the reserves B&F. Super consistent. Probably deserved a few more games at the top level.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
TBH he has been a liability. Cumberland or Clarke as another attacking option would be handy

Reactions: 1 users