Richmond Academy zone prospect | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Academy zone prospect

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
It's funny cause it's true.

Actually to qualify for the GWS Academy, you just have to know which city the Sydney Opera House is in. (Hint, its in Sydney).

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
TOT70 said:
Not sure who got NT. I think it is split between 2 or 3 teams. Maybe Collingwood is one?

Jarrod Harbrow, Jarman Impey and Nathan Drummond would qualify for us under this system. Phil Egan and Nathan Lovett-Murray are past players from our zone. Alipate Carlile’s mum is Fijian so he would qualify under the one parent born overseas rule (Nik Nat would too, for one of the WA clubs, btw). Andrew Walker is another as is Chris Egan (Collingwood). He was a top 10 pick in 2004 who didn’t make it.

Interestingly, does anyone know if Dustin Martin’s father was born in NZ? If he was, Dusty would qualify under these rules.

I get your point though. NT, WA and probably Port Lincoln would be prime zones.

I am pretty sure the club is excited about the Sudamese communities that fall in our zones.

Yep as I suspected. Besides Harbrow and Walker not much indigenous talent to come from northern Vic. Compare this to the guns from NT and WA. Betcha collingwood and essendon have NT. Again we've been sold a lemon by the AFL and we're too happy to accept it.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
To qualify for the Cold coast Academy, you just have to remember where you went for Schoolies.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Harry said:
Yep as I suspected. Besides Harbrow and Walker not much indigenous talent to come from northern Vic. Compare this to the guns from NT and WA. Betcha collingwood and essendon have NT. Again we've been sold a lemon by the AFL and we're too happy to accept it.

Yeah, I agree. Not sure how this will look, formatting might be all over the place. Looks like NT has been carved up quite a bit though.

REGIONS

Each club has a designated region to conduct their Next Generation Academy programs. Please see below a list of the clubs that may be running programs in or around your area:

CLUB

REGIONS

Adelaide Crows Central District; Glenelg; North Adelaide; Sturt; Northern Country; APY Lands East (SA)

Brisbane Lions Separate talent academy – see clubs website for details

Carlton Blues Yarra; Whittlesea; Darebin; Nilumbik; Banyule (VIC)

Collingwood Magpies Whitehorse; Boroondara; Yarra; Monash; Oakleigh; Manningham; Melbourne City (VIC); Barkley (NT)

Essendon Bombers Hume; Moonee Valley; Moreland; Mitchell; Macedon Ranges (VIC) West Arnham; Tiwi Islands (NT)

Fremantle Dockers East Fremantle; South Fremantle; Peel; West Perth; Claremont; Regional Mid-West; Regional Wheatbelt; Kimberly (WA)

Geelong Cats Geelong; Surf Coast; Queenscliff; Corangamite; Colac; Otway; Golden Plains (VIC); East Arnham (NT)

Gold Coast Suns Separate talent academy – see clubs website for details

GWS Giants Separate talent academy – see clubs website for details

Hawthorn Hawks Wellington; South Gippsland; East Gippsland; La Trobe; Cardinia; Baw Baw; Bass Coast; Whitehorse; Maroondah; Yarra Ranges; Knox; Manningham (VIC); Katherine (NT)

Melbourne Demons Mornington Peninsula; Dandenong; Casey; Cardinia (VIC); Alice Springs (NT)

North Melbourne Kangaroos Melbourne City; Wyndham (VIC); Tasmania (TAS)

Port Adelaide Power Norwood; Woodville-West Torrens; Yorke Peninsula; South Adelaide; West Adelaide; APY Lands West (SA)

Richmond Tigers Wodonga; Wangaratta; Strathbogie; Murrindindi; Moira; Mitchell; Mansfield; Shepparton; Benalla; Towong; Alpine; Albury; Indigo; Macedon Ranges; Gannawarra; Yarriambiack; Swan Hill; Mount Alexander; Mildura; Loddon; Bendigo; Buloke; Campaspe; Hindmarsh; Central Goldfields; North Grampians (VIC)

St Kilda Saints Melbourne City; Glen Eira; Stonington; Port Phillip; Dandenong; Bayside; Kingston; Frankston (VIC)

Sydney Swans separate talent academy – see clubs website for details

West Coast Eagles East Perth; Perth; Swan Districts; Subiaco; South West Region; Midlands Region; Great Southern Region; Goldfields Region (WA)

Western Bulldogs Glenelg; West Wimmera; Southern Grampians; Pyranees; Moyne; Moorabool; Horsham; Hepburn; Ballarat; Ararat; Warnambool; North Grampians; Golden Plains; Hindmarsh; Yarriambiack; Hobsons Bay; Melton; Brimbank; Maribyrnong;

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
We have a pretty good region there in fertile ground. I believe this year Jy Simpkin IIRC would be a steal using this system. I am one that hopes that Kirby slips through to us but it is unlikely.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
bullus_hit said:
Kirby's beep was around the 11 mark in TAC testing, that pushes him to a late/rookie pick. To put that in perspective, Clem Smith ran something similar and has now been delisted.

Kirby looks like he has done zero athletic/ fitness work to the point. But he sure can find the ball and kick a goal.
Right now he should be running and smashing it in the gym every day.

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
My understanding of the Victorian, WA and SA academies is that the players have to have either African or Asian descent, not just a parent born overseas. This is in addition to players from an indigenous background.

My oldest is having a session with Melbourne's academy this week. His mum was born overseas, but she's from Scotland, so I don't think that counts, although I may be wrong.

There are a few ripper Sudanese kids in the area, so the Dees cold be tapping into gold if they can attract and develop them.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
pokey said:
My understanding of the Victorian, WA and SA academies is that the players have to have either African or Asian descent, not just a parent born overseas. This is in addition to players from an indigenous background.

My oldest is having a session with Melbourne's academy this week. His mum was born overseas, but she's from Scotland, so I don't think that counts, although I may be wrong.

There are a few ripper Sudanese kids in the area, so the Dees cold be tapping into gold if they can attract and develop them.

That might make sense. One if my friends was telling me his boy was trying out for something this week and one of his mates is Vietnamese and he is going to one of the Academies as well so maybe it is just African and Asian.

Wouldn't want to make it too easy, there would be no one left for Sydney and GWS to draft in years when their Academies were a bit bare.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Rules just say as below ie indigenous/multicultural

There is a klarge Sudanese enclave in our zone also, Shepp or Bendigo, cant remember now

2. Eligibility
(a) By registering your child as a participant in the Program with this Club you understand that the Club is the only AFL Club that is able apply to the AFL to have your child declared as an eligible talent concession player if your child meets the relevant criteria (e.g. indigenous/multicultural).
(b) Acceptance of any eligible talent concession application in relation to your child by another Club will be at the AFL’s absolute discretion.

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
Just looking at the demographics for Greater Bendigo, it look like slim pickings:

Chinese - 1000
300 - Filipino
300 - Burmese
<200 - Indigenous
<200 - South African

Greater Shepparton looks slightly different:

1000 - Iraqi, Afghan and other central Asian and Arab backgrounds
400 - Chinese
>300 - Sudanese and central African
>300 - Indigenous

I know that there are other cities/towns within our zone, but no major relevant cultural populations that I am aware of.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep seems we've got the larger anglo zones. Be more difficult to find many indigenous and multicultural kids here compared to other zones. It's a sham anyway a token gesture by the AFL to appear they are looking after other clubs

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Lots of African and Asian kids in Richmond. Whose zone is that? (Of course it's not ours, that would make too much sense.) Yet again we find ourselves with a zone in areas of little to no population growth.

alexwern

Tiger Rookie
Aug 9, 2009
Our zone was the highest number of one nation voters in Victoria. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing for us and our academy. ?.?.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
alexwern said:
Our zone was the highest number of one nation voters in Victoria. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing for us and our academy. ?.?.

Maybe if one parent is a one nation voter?

Not many multicultural families voting for one nation.

Again RFC getting the short end of the stick