Richmond Academy zone prospect | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Academy zone prospect

E

easy_tiger

pokey said:
Interesting that we have already nominated a 12 yo for the 2023 draft. They are certainly looking to the future.

seriously? who?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Which clubs have the more heavily populated indigenous zones in NT and WA? Somehow think we got a dud zone.

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
Harry said:
Which clubs have the more heavily populated indigenous zones in NT and WA? Somehow think we got a dud zone.

There are quite a few talented indigenous players and a high percentage of Sudanese kids in our zone. If we can develop a player every couple of years, it will have been a good investment.

I live in another team's region and I can tell you that Richmond, Hawthorn, North and others are miles ahead of them.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
pokey said:
There are quite a few talented indigenous players and a high percentage of Sudanese kids in our zone. If we can develop a player every couple of years, it will have been a good investment.

I live in another team's region and I can tell you that Richmond, Hawthorn, North and others are miles ahead of them.

Sudanese kids? Give me a heavily populated indigenous zone any day of the week.

The problem with multicultural kids is they have to be first generation ie their parents have to be born overseas and AFL would not be in their blood. The indigenous kids only have to have an indigenous great great great grandparent to be eligible ie multi generational. These kids would be born with a footy in their hands. Any gun kid from the NT would automatically go to those that have zones there.

E

easy_tiger

pokey said:
A young fella from Swan Hill. I don't want to name him as he's only 12, but he is a multicultural lad and his details have been lodged with the AFL so they must see something in him.

:fing32

pokey

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
Harry said:
Sudanese kids? Give me a heavily populated indigenous zone any day of the week.

The problem with multicultural kids is they have to be first generation ie their parents have to be born overseas and AFL would not be in their blood. The indigenous kids only have to have an indigenous great great great grandparent to be eligible ie multi generational. These kids would be born with a footy in their hands. Any gun kid from the NT would automatically go to those that have zones there.

I hear you Harry, but we can only make the most of what we have and I can see tat we are doing this better than a few others at this stage.

Over the years, there have been many all-time greats who are first generation Australians - Kouta, Jesaulenko, Naitanui, Daicos to name a few. And I think the Irish lads have shown that you don't need to born with a footy in your hands to turn into a great player.

Anyway, here's hoping we can find a diamond in our region.

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
I hope Richmond aren't boosting their membership numbers like North do with their academy tryouts. Every kid who tried out for the academy in Tassie (over 1200) received a shiny three game membership... My son gave his away like the good Tiger boy he is!

pokey

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
snaps truly said:
I hope Richmond aren't boosting their membership numbers like North do with their academy tryouts. Every kid who tried out for the academy in Tassie (over 1200) received a shiny three game membership... My son gave his away like the good Tiger boy he is!

We don't need to, we've got real fans

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
spook said:
A Sudanese superstar will emerge in the next 10 years, nothing surer.

In time the AFL will be like the NBA and NFL where the sport is dominated by African Americans due to their genetic predisposition for athletic physiques and ability. It only stands to reason that as the African population in Australia grows so to will there impact on the AFL.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Broders said:
In time the AFL will be like the NBA and NFL where the sport is dominated by African Americans due to their genetic predisposition for athletic physiques and ability. It only stands to reason that as the African population in Australia grows so to will there impact on the AFL.
IMO if any of them start playing the game as kids they could have the physical attributes to dominate the sport, as they'd have grown up with the game.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
AFL investigating the academy’s , it’s been headed up by former Carlton man Andrew McKay , article on age site

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Bout time this was looked into, the Northern Academy's have been a rort of the draft for yrs, the NGA academies were brought in to level things up.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
biggest rort is guys from afl family backgrounds,how the hell is daniel riolis young brother tied to essendon, hes bloody from football royalty stock, also blakey at the swans, absolute hog wash that champion ex players sons are tied to a academy,should be father son only.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
jokershoppe said:
biggest rort is guys from afl family backgrounds,how the hell is daniel riolis young brother tied to essendon, hes bloody from football royalty stock, also blakey at the swans, absolute hog wash that champion ex players sons are tied to a academy,should be father son only.
Bingo! I forget the players name but one of GWS Academy kids is from Broken Hill, my uncle played footy there in the 70's....

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Jonesracing82 said:
Bingo! I forget the players name but one of GWS Academy kids is from Broken Hill, my uncle played footy there in the 70's....

Lachlan Tiziani was from BH, a GWS academy player. Now off their list after doing an acl.
Jarrod Brander (WCE) was from Wentworth(?)/Sunraysia area but the afl deemed him not eligible for GWS.
Dean Solomon, Brent Staker, Taylor Walker recent/current players from BH. Dale Weightman,Mark Alvey and quite a few others were from the Sunraysia are. Both areas, similarly to the Riverina have produced heaps of vfl/afl footballers. Not so sure how some of these areas, NT, Far north WA included come under the Academy purview. There have been pathways for indigenous kids. I thought it was for kids from non traditional football backgrounds.