Richmond and the VFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond and the VFL

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Any word on recruits?

Logo? Jumper design?

Should be an exciting team with Griff, O, Newman, King, McJesus, McDonagh, Astbury, McIntosh, Darrou, Elton, Helbig and Arnot all getting games.

And how good will Punt Rd be?

Apologies mods, I think the VFL section still relates to Coburg.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Carter said:

what are the apologies for carter.

the board said coburg and the vfl. i've removed the coburg reference now so thanks for the reminder.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i'm absolutely over the moon that the coburg relationship is over (ironic considering i now live there). not sure how the VFL draw works, but the club must do everything in their power to ensure as many VFL home games as possible are played as a curtain raiser at PRO prior to MCG home games.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Brendon Gale recently stated that Punt Road Oval still needs a fair bit of work before it could safely house a crowd.

I got the impression that not many games will be at Punt Road in 2014.

Maybe RFCO could give us a status update?

Danog

Tiger Superstar
Jun 7, 2008
Melbourne
Carter said:
Any word on recruits?

Logo? Jumper design?

Should be an exciting team with Griff, O, Newman, King, McJesus, McDonagh, Astbury, McIntosh, Darrou, Elton, Helbig and Arnot all getting games.

And how good will Punt Rd be?

A couple of recently delisted RFC rookies will be playing for our VFL side next year, in addition to another previously-listed AFL rookie.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Danog said:
A couple of recently delisted RFC rookies will be playing for our VFL side next year, in addition to another previously-listed AFL rookie.

Williams, Verrier ?

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Where'd you get that info Danog?

ID be shocked if games are played at PRO, where will the supporters stand/sit? Amenities? Etc?

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Gale on the RFC 2013 review video stated again that Punt Road needs some spend on infrastructure, JD stand, turnstiles, toilets, etc before games can be played there.

At this stage, he stated the club is working on how to fund this expenditure.

I am a little disappointed that the Club doesn't have the cash available from operating profits. They talk about Zero debt and $2m profit. Must have used the entire profit 2013 to pay off the debt.

Surely they are budgeting for another $2m profit in 2014, despite spending more on the VFL team, and therefore this profit could be invested into the PRO infrastructure. I reckon games at PRO before a MCG game could be a little cash cow themselves anyway.

If they are concerned that a $2m profit is not sustainable, this means that profit was largely a result of FTF generous one off donations, from high net worth individuals, as well as members.

michael roach

Tiger Superstar
Oct 6, 2009
Ice said:
Gale on the RFC 2013 review video stated again that Punt Road needs some spend on infrastructure, JD stand, turnstiles, toilets, etc before games can be played there.

At this stage, he stated the club is working on how to fund this expenditure.

I am a little disappointed that the Club doesn't have the cash available from operating profits. They talk about Zero debt and $2m profit. Must have used the entire profit 2013 to pay off the debt.

Surely they are budgeting for another $2m profit in 2014, despite spending more on the VFL team, and therefore this profit could be invested into the PRO infrastructure. I reckon games at PRO before a MCG game could be a little cash cow themselves anyway.

If they are concerned that a $2m profit is not sustainable, this means that profit was largely a result of FTF generous one off donations, from high net worth individuals, as well as members.

It would have been good if Richo followed up and asked that question.

To the average supporter it seems quite simple that it should be funded from cash if we have no debt and are making a multi-million dollar profit, but it`s probably a bit more complicated than that.

Maybe they are trying to get it funded by a sponsor instead of paying cash.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
michael roach said:
It would have been good if Richo followed up and asked that question.

To the average supporter it seems quite simple that it should be funded from cash if we have no debt and are making a multi-million dollar profit, but it`s probably a bit more complicated than that.

Maybe they are trying to get it funded by a sponsor instead of paying cash.
I was under the impression that it will be done but just not by next season. Something like that would have to go through tenders and council planning etc and that can take a while. There will be issues of car parking, toilets .......

They can't just decide to do it and start the next day

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Sintiger said:
I was under the impression that it will be done but just not by next season. Something like that would have to go through tenders and council planning etc and that can take a while. There will be issues of car parking, toilets .......

They can't just decide to do it and start the next day

I got that impression too.

But specifically, Gale saying the club would need to work out the best way to fund this is standard business practice. Just because you have some cash to put towards a capital investment doesn't mean that doing that is the best idea.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Streak said:
I got that impression too.

But specifically, Gale saying the club would need to work out the best way to fund this is standard business practice. Just because you have some cash to put towards a capital investment doesn't mean that doing that is the best idea.

I hope you are right. The sooner players like Elton and McBean are playing on better surfaces, wind protected, the better. Craigieburn has a reasonable surface, but is usually windy. Coburg is too muddy. Victoria Park isn't too bad.

The impression I got was that the infrastructure development at Punt Road is being held up due to funding.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My understanding is that the level of repair work needed to make it VFL ready was greater than expected when they started to have a serious look at it

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
It's great that we will be playing VFL at Punt Road. It would be also great if we got some detail on upgrades and timeframe.

Also I really hope we invest in good VFL players. If we can structure our team correctly like Geelong and Box Hill it's bound to assist our development of players for the big time.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
They need to (for the upteenth time) fix the old wooded stand, not sure if all new seating is needed, removing possum poo/access would also be useful. They need to put back some of the seats in front of the old stand, install toilet facilities, install trunstiles and I suspect that the other access areas need a combination re landscaped hills and maybe some concrete steps. around some parts of punt road.

I'd say they need anywhere from 800K-1.5mill to make this look good. The longer they start work the more likely we wont see reserve games at Punt Road.

Why cant we have the odd match at the MCG as a curtain raiser. Dont Geelong do this for a few of their AFL games??