Richmond and the VFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond and the VFL

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
Really great event , to the point, good speeches, and the players seemed enthused to be there (unlike some of those members cocktail parties)......and was very impressed with Richos effort as MC, he has come a long way with his presentation and delivery...leaves that clown BT for dead!!!

ONE Club, TWO Teams!!!.....go tigers!!!!

This Is Anfield

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2013
Melbourne
Jetboy said:
Really great event , to the point, good speeches, and the players seemed enthused to be there (unlike some of those members cocktail parties)......and was very impressed with Richos effort as MC, he has come a long way with his presentation and delivery...leaves that clown BT for dead!!!

Enjoyed that post :clap especially the last line. :)

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
was meant to go......work intervened and really disappointed I missed it.

michael roach

Tiger Superstar
Oct 6, 2009
Jetboy said:

Totally agree.

Had a tour of the ME Bank centre , and a run down of what the players do every day, it's all very professional.

Richo was fantastic as MC, really confident, easy going and funny.

They had free soft drinks, water, Crown lager and I think wine.

Free sausages in bread and onions and tomato sauce, cooked and served by some of the players, Griff, Petterd, McIntosh and Williams were a few.

There was also prawns on a stick and some other little nibblies being given out by some girls with trays.

Most of the senior players were there except Cotch who is getting married tomorrow.

I think Aaron Davey was the only VFL player who wasn't there.

All in all it was a great night and it makes you proud with how professional the club is these days,
and I reckon the jumpers are great, can't wait to watch the VFL team next year at Punt Road Oval.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Signing Ross Young is a quite impressive coup IMO.

He was a brilliant leader at Perth when playing WAFL. Apart from winning a Sandover, he really mentored the younger players well.

rombosghost

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 14, 2004
michael roach said:
Totally agree.

Had a tour of the ME Bank centre , and a run down of what the players do every day, it's all very professional.

Richo was fantastic as MC, really confident, easy going and funny.

They had free soft drinks, water, Crown lager and I think wine.

Free sausages in bread and onions and tomato sauce, cooked and served by some of the players, Griff, Petterd, McIntosh and Williams were a few.

There was also prawns on a stick and some other little nibblies being given out by some girls with trays.

Most of the senior players were there except Cotch who is getting married tomorrow.

I think Aaron Davey was the only VFL player who wasn't there.

All in all it was a great night and it makes you proud with how professional the club is these days,
and I reckon the jumpers are great, can't wait to watch the VFL team next year at Punt Road Oval.

Thanks Disco. I've gone to bed on pretty much an empty stomach so this talk of snags and onions in bread is killing me!!

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
michael roach said:

Can you please give a bit more info on what was said?

Do they ever train with the AFL list? If so, how often. Maybe a select few?

How often do they train as a VFL group? I assume it is after 5 pm?

Do they train with the other clubs they play with?

I also wonder the payment details - I suppose a base fee and amounts per game played?

I am just interested in how they integrate with the AFL list, if at all.

Thanks in advance for any info

Ruby

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 31, 2006
Ice said:

I also wonder the payment details - I suppose a base fee and amounts per game played?

Ice

They didn't touch on those things.

As people have said, Richo MC'd. Did a very good job. Was amusing. Got stuck into Benny Gale and Dimma on all the overseas junkets in the off season.

Benny Gale announced that VFL games would be played at Punt Road.

Dimma gave a brief speech on what he has been doing since the season's end. Also spoke briefly about the benefits of having a dedicated AFL team. Praise for Cambo for working hard to set it up, and for coming up with the catch phrase "One club, two teams".

Then the new listed players plus rookies were introduced. All were brought out on stage. Lennon spoke first. He talked about his time with the club earlier in the year, getting to know the boys, expecting to train hard and play where he is needed - mentioned half forward, half back and in the midfield when he has built up fitness/engine. Hampson and Thomas also briefly spoke. Hampson was told in no uncertain terms by Richo that there should be no glowing references to the Blues as "we hate the Blues". Crowd cheered! Hampson talked about supporting Ivvy and playing up forward when needed. Spoke about the selectors looking at the match ups for other teams, and deciding who matches up better on the day - he, Ivvy etc ... Thomas talked about being reunited with many of the Port Adelaide staff who are now with Richmond, and cracked a funny gag about getting cuddles from "Chock" (o).

Then the VFL coach and team were brought out and introduced. As others have already said, the talk was mainly about the benefits of having a dedicated VFL team. How this would benefit the seniors - through better coaching and preparation for younger players to move up to the senior team. We were told that the VFL listed players would use the Punt Road facilities and would train with the senior players and would have dedicated staff and stewards. They would be made to feel and would be part of the club. No mention was made of payment/money. Ross Young spoke about his background and his time at Carlton and Perth. Was asked about his leadership style - and said he was pretty quiet / not fire and brimstone - and led by example.

Hopefully I have accurately reported on what was said. Happy to be corrected if not.

Good event. Agree with others on the food and beverages. Was plentiful and high quality.

Lots and lots (and lots) of Jeep Grand Cherokees in the carpark. Jeep are obviously very generous handing out the cars to the players. There were a couple of white ones there (which in my view is a fail). Gotta be black or grey if you are going to drive a car like that. Saw Foley on my way in. He does not drive a Jeep. ;D His car is more to my liking. Saw Dusty and Grigga leaving as I was heading out. Dusty is one intimidating boy! Grigga not so much :hihi

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ruby said:
It's good to see that Jeep has very kindly been looking after the boys with their sponsors products, fantastic that the players have been happy to reciprocate when they've been in the market for wheels n also looked after the sponsors. Must admit I'm kind of jealous of n partial to the very tidy SRT Jeepster that the Cochinator punts around town, doubt it will ever see anything more difficult than a wet tram track but still a very tidy set of wheels.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigertool said:
You get an email if you are a FTF patron.

No wonder I didn't know about it. Disappointed if it was only for FTF patrons. Surely that wasn't the case? Even if it was PREnders have donated a fortune to the club over the years.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
rosy23 said:
No wonder I didn't know about it. Disappointed if it was only for FTF patrons. Surely that wasn't the case? Even if it was PREnders have donated a fortune to the club over the years.

I think it was. I can't remember what the email said though, I think I deleted it. It might have been for specific higher up members as well. Stig will know though.

RFC_Official

I am Stig
Aug 17, 2010
www.richmondfc.com.au
Ice said:

For now they train on their own as a team after hours as they all work. That may change during the season.
They train 2-3 times a week at the moment after hours at Punt Road.
They are allowed to train with their other teams at the moment as well.
Payment not sure.

RFC_Official

I am Stig
Aug 17, 2010
www.richmondfc.com.au
rosy23 said:

The support of FTF patrons placed the Club in a position to field a reserves side in 2014 - a decision brought forward by one year thanks to the FTF. As a result, it was for FTF patrons only. We couldn't handle too many people in the room either so making it an FTF event made sense, about half of our patrons accepted and the room was still pretty full.