Richmond Brownlow votes?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Brownlow votes??

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
GoodOne said:
You really don't see any games do you? Cooney played some blinders this year. Had a quiet start to the season but was humming in the 2nd half of the year.

I watch them when they're on the TV. Do you regularly go to Bulldogs games? OK he probably deserves more than 3 votes but overall he hasn't had a great year, some of his stats look good but when I've seen him he hasn't had a great affect on games regardless of the amount of possessions, Boyd has had a far better year.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Tigers complete tally

Matthew Richardson 6
Ben Cousins, Brett Deledio, Daniel Jackson, Richard Tambling 5
Nathan Foley 4
Robin Nahas, Jack Riewoldt 3
Chris Newman, Shane Tuck 2
Trent Cotchin 1
Total 41 votes

Only the Dees had less with 31.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Tigers complete tally

Matthew Richardson 6
Ben Cousins, Brett Deledio, Daniel Jackson, Richard Tambling 5
Nathan Foley 4
Robin Nahas, Jack Riewoldt 3
Chris Newman, Shane Tuck 2
Trent Cotchin 1

Richo got best on ground x2 at the start of the season.

Tuck got 2 votes. Does this mean his price during trade day goes up?

Tiller

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2009
If you forget the games where Richo went off early injured he played 4. Multiply his votes by 5.5 that gives him 33 and he wins!!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Just accept it for what it is - the umpires' award. Its allure is part tradition, part hype. There may well come a time when the Brownlow isn't the most prestigious award in football.

Agree L2. I see no need to change it at all. Time might well show a change in the level of respect and popularity for different awards but I'd hate to see human intervention/whim change such a tradition of the game. Too much change for change sake in the world already. The Brownlow is huge and obviously means a lot to those involved.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Tigers of Old said:
and if this was Ablett's worst season he should have won three in a row!

MVP is a far, far better indication than the Clownlow. Need to p!ss the umpires off.

Disagree ToO I reckon the MVP is dodgey
Each players votes for 3 players from their club to be nominated and then from 48 players nominated they vote 3, 2 and 1 from those players nominated excluding their teammates. Meaning Geelong players cant vote for Ablett as their MVP and also how many games per round do players actually see. Most of their votes based on heresay and really should only qualify to vote for their own team mates. Think the Brownlow has held up well for most of its 80 years.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Since the maggots introduced the rule of 3 votes only to players of the winning team it has meant that players from teams finishing in the bottom half are disqualified. Bobby Skilton, Kevin Murray and Roy Wright would never had won one under the current rules.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
mk33 said:
Disagree ToO I reckon the MVP is dodgey
Each players votes for 3 players from their club to be nominated and then from 48 players nominated they vote 3, 2 and 1 from those players nominated excluding their teammates. Meaning Geelong players cant vote for Ablett as their MVP and also how many games per round do players actually see. Most of their votes based on heresay and really should only qualify to vote for their own team mates. Think the Brownlow has held up well for most of its 80 years.

Agreed that perhaps the players aren't the best indication but I still reckon they are a better indicator than the umpires who are generally focussed on other things than who the best players were. Heck I doubt that they even pay attention to some players if they don't have a profile.

My personal preference would be to strip the umpires of the voting honour and have the coaches give the votes as they watch the game closer than anyone and are far more likely to have a clue as to who was most effective on the day in helping their team whether that be midfielders, backs or forwards. They know both their charges and the oppositions inside out and there's a fair chance that players other than midfielder's might have a chance at winning one again.

Keep the Brownlow name but p!ss the umps off.

trappedathalfback

Tiger Rookie
Jan 6, 2005
Melbourne
YinnarTiger said:
Since the maggots introduced the rule of 3 votes only to players of the winning team it has meant that players from teams finishing in the bottom half are disqualified. Bobby Skilton, Kevin Murray and Roy Wright would never had won one under the current rules.

Richo got 3 votes against Geelong and Melbourne. We lost both of those games.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Agreed that perhaps the players aren't the best indication but I still reckon they are a better indicator than the umpires who are generally focussed on other things than who the best players were. Heck I doubt that they even pay attention to some players if they don't have a profile.

My personal preference would be to strip the umpires of the voting honour and have the coaches give the votes as they watch the game closer than anyone and are far more likely to have a clue as to who was most effective on the day in helping their team whether that be midfielders, backs or forwards. They know both their charges and the oppositions inside out and there's a fair chance that players other than midfielder's might have a chance at winning one again.

Keep the Brownlow name but p!ss the umps off.

Nothing wrong with the Brownlow. Have a look at some of the media voting or PRE voting. The rest are no better or worse than the umpires. ANd you are advocating the MVP as a more important when it threw up the same result anyway.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
jb03 said:
Nothing wrong with the Brownlow. Have a look at some of the media voting or PRE voting. The rest are no better or worse than the umpires. ANd you are advocating the MVP as a more important when it threw up the same result anyway.

Are you saying they were a better judge of Deledio's season than you jimbob? ;D

I don't have so much of an issue with year's result as I do last when Gazza was the standout.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
I'm sick to death of Midfielders winning the Brownlow.

Each umpire should give their own 3,2,1

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Deledio was not even recognised by his own teammates of being worthy enough nomination for MVP with nods given to Newman, Jackson and Cousins.

Still fan of the Brownlow system sorry TOO with umps voting. Coaches probably pick more things up but think they would not care who they voted for and like the way sometimes you can get the unpredictability in the umps.

Foxtrot

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bathurst NSW
I think a significant aspect of the appeal of the Brownlow is that it occasionally throws up random results. Adds to the tension and theatre of the night.

When it all comes down to it - Comparing the performances of footballers is a subjective, inexact science anyway - even if the judges were better credentialed or you just took statistical data to come up with an assessment.

A bit of unpredictability works well in terms of enjoying the countdown and debating the outcome etc.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
mk33 said:
Coaches probably pick more things up but think they would not care who they voted for and like the way sometimes you can get the unpredictability in the umps.

What makes you think that if it was an award as prestigious as the Brownlow?

Meh to unpredictability, reward the best with the highest honour.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Have every journalist/commentator at the ground award their 3-2-1. Bring them all together, compile and average them down to a single 3-2-1.

That's enough eyes watching the game and the averaging should removed any bias from individuals or media agencies.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:
Have every journalist/commentator at the ground award their 3-2-1. Bring them all together, compile and average them down to a single 3-2-1.

That's enough eyes watching the game and the averaging should removed any bias from individuals or media agencies.

Do you really want these people determining the best player in the land?

- Tony Shaw
- Andy Maher
- Damian Barrett
- Garry Lyon

We will end up with personal allegances determining the winner if you let this lot have the reins.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Nah, I reckon it would balance out. At least 10 to 15 media types per game. I reckon any bias will be filtered out.

Lyon can give his Melbourne boys 3-2-1 after another 100point defeat but unless a few more vote the same way then his votes are worthless.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
mk33 said:
Deledio was not even recognised by his own teammates of being worthy enough nomination for MVP with nods given to Newman, Jackson and Cousins.

Maybe he doesn't have as many mates as those guys. Maybe they have to choose the captain. Maybe players prefer to choose more experienced players as their representative. I'm not totally convinced of the value of the league MVP considering players have to choose players from opposing players when they only play them twice, sometimes only once a season.