Richmond Brownlow votes?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Brownlow votes??

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
An independant panel already does the All Australian side and that gets bagged from those outside of it, plus they already have their own awards to vote on in various media outlets.
I honestly dont think the coaches will care enough about the Brownlow to warrant voting for it. Not really saying Umpires voting on Brownlow is betterin terms of creditability than coaches award, players MVP, media or an independant panel, I just think they are no worse than them and for the sake of 85 years tradition I think its tried and trusted method.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I'm not saying the umps always get it right - look at Jimbo Hird's votes for 15 mins of football in his Brownlow year - but think about the games Richo played, and Cuz for that matter. They can both dominate a game. I reckon Lids is a star but he didn't dominate any games to the point that he was CLEARLY best afield to the exclusion of anyone from the opposition - the winners :( for most of our games this year.

That is the next step he needs to take to be deserving of some of the accolades people want to lavish on him.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
TigerForce said:
I can't remember the last time our players looked popular (and vibrant with a cute chick) at a Brownlow.

We're so boring.

It could have been worse! Look at the Carlton table with Fev brightening up the night with his incredible humour. When you're ugly enough to scare the ghosts out of a haunted house, i think you're better off flying under the radar. After last night i guess it solved the riddle as to why Fev is so into rubber dongers! His captain has a head like one!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
mk33 said:
An independant panel already does the All Australian side and that gets bagged from those outside of it

A couple of controversial decisions in the 22 aside it is pretty accurate for the most part. Now if the umpires did it..

mk33 said:
I honestly dont think the coaches will care enough about the Brownlow to warrant voting for it.

You think? Why do you think umpires would care any more? At least the coaches doing it has some credibility.

mk33 said:
I just think they are no worse than them

I happen to believe they are because they are concentrating primarily on getting the rules right not on player performance whereas coaches totally understand who is doing what.
I also think the award is now heavily in favour of midfielders because they are more often in the umpires face and given the ever increasing pace of the game are easy to vote for.

mk33 said:
I just think they are no worse than them and for the sake of 85 years tradition I think its tried and trusted method.

Tradition is important but I believe it's more important that the award for the best player in the land be as correct as possible and don't believe umpires are the best qualified to judge that. Keep the name, keep the history just change the judges.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I think the AA throws up more shockers then the Brownlow.

Look at the last five winners Ablett, Cooney, Bartel, Goodes, Cousins. Judd.

Not many spuds there. Leave the B'Low with the umpires.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
SCOOP said:

Generally the player that wins it is in the best 5-6 players for the year, exception of Woewodin in recent years.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
All the players who win it are good, you get the occasional one like Woewodin who has one great season, but generally they're class players who perform year in year out. I'd like to see someone other than a midfielder get it. Would have been nice to see big Johnno Brown get up last night.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
se7en said:
Is it full service or is that extra?

Good question. I would assume the "extra service" would just be charged by the hour in addition to the formalities of the night.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
SCOOP said:

It's not as if Jordy McMahon was picked in the AA side but that's beside the point.

mk33 said:
Generally the player that wins it is in the best 5-6 players for the year, exception of Woewodin in recent years.

You'd expect that the recipient is someone who comes from the top 5 but I'd prefer the best player be awarded the medal rather than saying oh well the umpires award it so we're bound to get discrepancies, so & so is still a good player.
Last year particularly riled me as I though Jnr was a standout. At least he was justly recognised this season, if Swan had won it I'd have been ropeable.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
It's not as if Jordy McMahon was picked in the AA side but that's beside the point.

You'd expect that the recipient is someone who comes from the top 5 but I'd prefer the best player be awarded the medal rather than saying oh well the umpires award it so we're bound to get discrepancies, so & so is still a good player.
Last year particularly riled me as I though Jnr was a standout. At least he was justly recognised this season, if Swan had won it I'd have been ropeable.

I don't know what you are on about. Even the squillion media outlets never agree on the best player. The Brownlow is just another version but through time has become the most important. So what if the umpires give the votes. Have a look at some of the media votes every week, or even the PRE voting as to who is the best Richmond player. You sometimes get over 10 players receiving votes.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
jb03 said:
I don't know what you are on about. 

Lost me too. "Best" player is always going to be subjective and based on different personal opinions no matter who gives the votes.  Gaz is cleaning up every award around...seems most agree with the umpires' choice.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
rosy23 said:
Gaz is cleaning up every award around...seems most agree with the umpires' choice.

He did last year too.
The umpires throw up way too many surprises for mine. I personally don't think they are the best to judge and would prefer the coaches.
Anyways it's unlikely to change given the disagreement here, moving on..

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
There will never be a definitive panel to chose the "best" as it is only an opinion. Robert Walls gave Tom Hawkins BOG on Saturday night. Anyone else agree with that?

I used to agree that the umpires shouldn't give votes but then came to the realisation that whoever gives the votes will get it "wrong" in some peoples opinion on occassions.