Richmond Central AFC | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Central AFC

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Ready said:
We got beat by 20 goals by the premiership favourites. Both grades.  :(

Thank heavens Round 1 is out of the way.

Damn!

(One of the commentators on 774 last night kept referring to us as "the gold and black", think an email is in order.)

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
Bad luck about the caning Ready for bed.
As you know Im an Ivanhoe man,and we got pipped by the apparent flag favorites in our season opener as well.
Still,we did have 20 new players in between both sides,and look by all reports to have improved significantly from last year,which means I might not get called to make my 19th comeback this season :-\.
We also had Shane Watson(ex Collingwood) make his debut for us this week :clap
GO THE HOES!

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Are you still registered Trundleround? Otherwise someone might have to make a Friday morning dash to Elsternwick.  :hihi Heartily sick of the Sandringham line after last week.

We had 13 debutants in the ones and 10 in the twos, a couple of whom acquitted themselves very well under the onslaught.

Looking at other results we have to be some sort of a chance against Eley Park this week. The twos will be far from a delight for the football purist but we are a big show. Hopefully we won't have to wait until Round 10 this year to hear a rendition of the club song.

Ivanhoe only just getting pipped by the flag favourites is a very positive sign for you, I seem to remember things just wouldn't happen for you lot last year.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Hi Ready, I used to play at Melbourne Uni Reds in the early 90's, and l believe we played against Richmond central at a god awful ground on Rathmines Rd Camberwell, that had a brick patio type arrange under ground on one wing?

I haven't played since 1992, when I wrecked a knee, but remember the old days in the D & E grade ammos fondly.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
That's us, we used to play behind Auburn station there for a while in the early 90s before we got KB Reserve back. Hawthorn Amateurs now have that ground, although they knocked down their rooms over the summer and neglected to build new ones so they are at Glenferrie Oval for the time being.

Rathmines Road is unsuitable for any standard of football really. There was a lot of nostalgia at the season launch do last week, and it seems that pretty much every other side we played in the early 90s is now D1 section or above. Fitzroy Reds (current incarnation of Uni Reds) keep marching onwards and upwards, the number of volunteers and amount of paraphernalia they have has to be seen to be believed. We felt like the red-headed stepchildren when we had our stall at the City of Yarra community day right next to theirs.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I was at Redders when they moved to Brunswick St in 1991, but it was after I left they changed name to Fitzroy Reds to capitalise on nostalgia, and the Fitzroy name.
My career there was hardly inspiring, in 3 seasons I played 12 games in the magoos. Broke my scaphoid in the first year, wrecked my back in the pre-season in 91, and did my knee a month into 1992.
Still have mental scars.
I really enjoyed the culture of the ammo clubs, the no drinking during games etc, but the big after matches.
When I have gone to Redders matches in the past, there were less and less familiar faces, and the success they had changed the psyche a bit. They were strugglers when I played.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Scaphoids are nasty. Never done one myself but done both wrists and was lucky not to do the scaphoid both times. Have seen what happens when blokes come back too soon from scaphoids. :-\ I always take the attitude that someday I'll do a knee or something so I'd better enjoy football while it lasts, sounds like you had the same view.

The no drinking during games still applies, the VAFA even send spies around the grounds to make sure the regulations are being enforced. :eek: Doing the timekeeping is a major hassle as from halfway through the last quarter there are a stream of blokes insisting you just let the clock run because they're desperate for a beer.

Fitzroy Reds were strugglers and are now a machine. They are sort of the model we hope to follow, although I can't help but think they've become a bit too big and unwieldy. We have to raise our profile somehow though, by hook or by crook.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Redders got investigated by the VAFA when I was playing, because we beat a side we weren't expected too, when we played at the Uni Main Oval. There were a couple of homeless guys who lived the the old pavilion, and 'brown-bagged' muscat or the like all day everyday, and used to attend all the games played in, what they considered to be, their back yard, (The Main Uni Oval).

Officials from the losing team complained that Redders condoned these guys drinking, and, should have the points stripped. The VAFA laughed them off, as they knew the club had no control over these guys, who turned up to Blacks & Blues games the same way.

The old guys even turned up at the odd after match, and where always good for a laugh.

FightingFury

Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
Ah.....magpie was the winos name!
A few rascals bought him a few longnecks at a game in the mid 90s when we played Uni Blacks in order for him to switch allegiences,which naturally he did!!
When we came home from the dead to steal a memorable win,he was dancing around with us!
He put it down to 'his favorite black & white guernseys" :hihi
Fitzroy Reds recieve a sizeable amount of money from the Brisbane Lions Melbourne supporters club coteries too.
We have lost 3 players to them,but it wasn't for 'love' if you get my drift.
ching-ching.
I think im still registered red centre,but finally we have the numbers for me to stay retired..........until mid winter of course when a long away game comes knocking AGAIN :mad:

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Still follow the Redders, check the ammo scores in the paper each week, but confine my attendance to RFC games. (Richmond, and the occasional Rowville FC game for local color).

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
struggletown3121 said:
jb03 said:
struggletown3121 said:
GO THE HOES!

How you guys paying that mercenary?

Nix Nada Nuttin'
He just wanted to play with some decent blokes before he retired ;D

Fair enough. I see he went there after your retirement. ;D

FightingFury

Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
jb03 said:
struggletown3121 said:
jb03 said:
struggletown3121 said:
GO THE HOES!

How you guys paying that mercenary?

Nix Nada Nuttin'
He just wanted to play with some decent blokes before he retired ;D

Fair enough.  I see he went there after your retirement.  ;D

Yes,forgot to mention he wants to be the biggest name there,hence his arrival sans moi ;D

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
marella jube said:
How are things looking this week ?

Much better. Huge show in the twos. Expecting a close game in the ones. Two new recruits this week who should slot straight in if their clearances come through this time. One from South Morang in the Diamond Valley, one from Yarroweyah (halfway between Cobram and Strathmerton). This last one caused me no end of consternation as he signed his form stating he came from "Yarra Weir", and I had to amend everything after ringing him up and interrogating him. Should be a compulsory IQ test for all players, except that would cover half our existing players, let alone recruits who can actually play. Fingers crossed it goes through, he stood out from football last year after a dispute there but now he's in the big smoke it should be an automatic clearance.

FightingFury

Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
South Morang eh?
The Lions are coached by Ronnie McKeown this season,they fell to a MacLeod side last week coached by Wayne Harmes.Their ground is underneath some massive powerline towers so you understand why their players are sprouting extra heads and ears.
The 'Hoers have the nightmare road trip to Mt Eliza to face last years nemisis Peninsula who flogged us twice.Don't expect we'll be anything but 0-2 @ 5pm saturday.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
At the 25 minute mark of the first quarter we led 7.0 to 1.3. We lost by twenty-two points. :(

In the twos we kicked 3.8 to 1.2 in the last term. Their goal came with 57 seconds on the clock and they won by five points. :(

Same in any football: can't play well for one quarter and expect to win games.