Richmond Central AFC | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond Central AFC

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Another huge week behind the scenes. It just hasn't slowed down so far this seaosn. There is an announcement but it's subject to an embargo until tomorrow night.

HKTiger

Tiger Rookie
Sep 25, 2004
Ready,

Is gav still at Centrals ? I played a few games for the twos a few years ago.

Also got JK (two's player) here in Singapore at the moment.

Good Luck on the weekend.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
HKTiger said:
Ready,

Is gav still at Centrals ?  I played a few games for the twos a few years ago.

Also got JK (two's player) here in Singapore at the moment.

Good Luck on the weekend.

Would that be Sydney Gav, Helmet Gav or Former President Gav?

Played with JK several times in the twos. He was responsible for the most aggressive rushed behind in the history of football in a game at Elsternwick two years ago. Finding himself cornered in the goalsquare, he turned around and blasted the ball through the big sticks, hard enough to leave a dent in the golf course fence.  :cutelaugh

marella jube said:
It's past 'tomorrow night".....

Good luck on the weekend..

Yes it is, and rather remiss of me not to update this thread.

Following a committee meeting last Tuesday we asked our coach to step down, and he resigned on Wednesday. Very very agonising decision. This was not a decision relating particularly to on-field matters, although a record of two wins from 21 starts doesn't look all that good on paper. (Not that anyone else would have done any better with the cattle available -- in fact, most would have done worse.)

The problem was that we had a terrible time trying to keep him on-message. All the positive vibes we continually put out were being stifled by negativity, culminating in an almighty spray after the Round 2 loss. For the last three quarters we put in an unacceptable effort, no question. It was painful to watch. But there are ways and means to make this point, especially in the phase the club finds itself in at the moment i.e. trying to claw its way off the canvas. This was the latest in a string of incidents and, having spent six months on herculean recruiting efforts, we faced the very real prospect of losing players we had worked so hard to attract. We have had in excess of thirty debutants in the first three rounds, and these players are the future of the club, both in terms of being there for several seasons themselves and in helping to recruit mates and acquaintances. Some of these blokes are handy footballers, all are good blokes, and at a time when we are rebuilding a football club, not simply a team, we just can't afford to lose any of them.

You may ask why we appointed this coach in the first place... the fact is that we had two applicants. The other had what could best be described as an extraordinarily limited grasp of the English language; the only thing obvious was that his position was not one of what he could do for our club, but rather of how much remuneration could we provide and of how quickly he could get his hands on some of it. We never even got to the interview stage. Our now former coach would be a very good coach of someone, but the approach inculcated in him at the Footscray under-19s in the Terry Wheeler years, one so ingrained that he himself said it would be almost impossible to change, is not the one for this football club at this time. This is a most disappointing and agonising circumstance, and I say that with complete honesty.

So to Saturday... 100-point defeats, both sides. But our time will come. Meanwhile the atmosphere off-field is the healthiest it has been for several years, and we will be keeping it this way. It's not about this year, it's about the next several years.

Four points wouldn't hurt... but our time will come. Maybe against Box Hill North this week.

Oh, and we finally got our sponsor's logos sewn on to the jumpers. Due to the unavailability of everyone else, I ended up heading off down the Frankston line. When the train got to Glenhuntly it started absolutely bucketing down. By the time I stumbled down the relevant Mordialloc back street, I was drenched. Luckily the proprietor gave me a lift back to the station. I dumped the bags down and sat on a bench. An old geezer wandered past and went into the toilets. I thought nothing of it. Then came a loud, strident and repetitive refrain: "Suck my *smile*! Suck my *smile*!" On and on it went. Don't people have any manners down in Mordialloc? I was sorely tempted to point out: "Hey pal, you've got no *smile* chance if you don't say 'please'!"

Only I didn't....

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Could have been worse...Perhaps not polite but possibly modest as he did use the toilets...

HKTiger

Tiger Rookie
Sep 25, 2004
Ready,

That would be former president Gav.

JK says Gidday. He'll be back in Oz in early August.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Still looking for our first win, which was unlikely to come at the home of one of the flag fancies. However, positive signs in that just when it looked like we were going to roll over and die the side came to life and lifted both urgency and skill level to be very competitive in the second half.

In the reserves, got flogged again but number 25 made his long-awaited first appearance for the year and contrived to rove his own contest and slot one through the big sticks. Number 25 also failed to make the distance from a set shot 40m out directly in front :bash and got a lovely corky from an opponent's knee when backing back into a pack  :-\ . The good news being number 25 can now bend his leg properly again.

Number 25 is also rumoured to be facing a ban from participating in any future club trivia nights after playing a substantial role in landing his team several bottles of wine.  :(

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Improved week after the debacle in round 6 but still no chocolates. We have an awful tendency to fall asleep for ten minutes and concede eight unanswered goals. Do this twice and you get thumped. :(

100 games this week for JL -- a milestone worth celebrating as not many make it that far.

Also 50 games for no. 25 who in the second quarter was given a ridiculous task -- a 6' 7" ruckman asked to do a run-with role with a ruck-rover changing on the half-forward flank. Thankfully the coach thought again and allowed no. 25 a roaming half-forward position a la Richo. Even got himself a goal.

But even though we're no good we do a good function -- Mr Richmond Central was won by a half-back flanker in wig and fishnets who did a rendition of Cher's 'If I Could Turn Back Time'. :eek: (Had to make do with a makeshift cannon though.)

Players still wanted. We DO have fun off the ground. We can register you until 11.59pm on 29 June! PM me if you want to have a run.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
We can't lose this weekend -- as we have a bye for the Queen's Birthday. ;D

Get to go to the footy on Saturday afternoon and all.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Every week I look in the classifieds of the Sunday papers even though I know we've already lost. Not this week. ;D

OK, so the seniors lost, getting jumped early, conceding eight goals to one in the third and then scoring a frustrating 4.7 to 2.3 in the last to lose by 42 points.

But in the reserves.....

RICHMOND CENTRAL 2.4 6.7 8.10 11.11 (77)
ELEY PARK 0.5 3.10 6.13 8.17 (65)

Deliverance on a postage stamp ground right on the railway line between Laburnum and Box Hill. Two in the first five minutes, but the home side kept working their way into the game. When they kicked consecutive goals within a minute halfway through the last to hit the front for the first time, and with us having only one fit player on the interchange, it looked like the game might be up.

Not if the blokes in yellow and black had anything to do with it. We kicked the last three to record the club's first win since the twos won away at Box Hill North... in Round 13 last year.

Where is that thread about people having good news? Here is the good news. This was a day to remember, everyone with a smile on their face, and so excited as to sing the song not once, not twice, but thrice... and why not?

C'arn Centrals! EAT 'EM ALIVE! :thumbsup

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Good stuff Ready.
So was it my admission that I could only run 3 laps of an oval that made you decide not to pm me with the offer of signing up to play?? LOL
Played a few games on that ground as it was our high school ground.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I see the Snakes finally had a win last weekend? First for nearly 2 years?
How was it achieved?
Go the Snakes!

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Indeed we did win. Very gutsy win too in that we held them off after they fought back from four goals down. Scores level was as close as it got.

First senior win since Round 10, 2005 -- congratulatory messages from the league CEO and past and present club identities from all around the world. The circle for singing the song went right around was the same diameter as the centre square...

So we got a bit carried away but the lid has been found and we are now officially KEEPING A LID ON IT as we prepare to travel to South Mornington for Round 2.

Carn Centrals :wavey

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Oh and I know I haven't been around a lot lately but that's because I've been football administrating or whatever the hell you call it.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Good Stuff Ready. Keep us up to date. I will come down and watch a game at some point.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
We lost last weekend, both teams, and South Mornington is a bloody long way to go and get beat. Ended up with only 16 fit players in the last quarter and not surprisingly they rattled on ten goals and blew out the margin. Had to play in the terrible clash strip too (maroon and bottle green hoops). League let this mob in with exactly the same jumper... moronic. Not much time for them either having been down there... what kind of club has morons abusing officials at half time when they go to sign the umpires' paperwork? :headscratch They have a lot to learn about friendly relations with other clubs, and can start by getting the hot water turned on. :bash

Anyway, back at home for Round 3 this week against Eley Park, should be two close games. All welcome to come watch if you don't feel up to a potential Tigers car crash (Melway 59 B1).