Richmond recruiting strategy 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond recruiting strategy 2020

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tried to find a thread but couldn't, some disjointed discussion on the few threads. Its an interesting one, we have the Covid factor meaning everyone is flying a bit blind on the draft, potential list size changes, its unique and dynamic. One the other hand we're sitting pretty and will stay in the hunt with minimal changes.

Draft-wise I'd go high risk, high return. I know nothing about the crop so I can't give examples of how that might be executed. Trade-wise, see what falls out of the tree, a rookie ruck? Maybe but not essential. if someone of interest presents you'd have a look I suppose. Minimum changes, high risk draft approach, embrace the unknown.

picks 21, 36, 61, 79, 97 at the moment.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Tried to find a thread but couldn't, some disjointed discussion on the few threads. Its an interesting one, we have the Covid factor meaning everyone is flying a bit blind on the draft, potential list size changes, its unique and dynamic. One the other hand we're sitting pretty and will stay in the hunt with minimal changes.

Draft-wise I'd go high risk, high return. I know nothing about the crop so I can't give examples of how that might be executed. Trade-wise, see what falls out of the tree, a rookie ruck? Maybe but not essential. if someone of interest presents you'd have a look I suppose. Minimum changes, high risk draft approach, embrace the unknown.

picks 21, 36, 61, 79, 97 at the moment.

agree. when your luck is running, and your in command of things, and your pockets are full of money,

you have a bit of a crack.

take the next Buddy Franklin with glandular fever at 21.

with the rest of the picks, id say we'll stick to the template; either fast or tough or both, with big motors.

how the *smile* did $hai Bolton get to pick 29?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’d go against the grain a little and take a punt on a couple of late picks, there’s definitely going to be some kids who improve next year , so I think Clarke should back himself in with a couple of risky late ones , he’ll probably only get a Grimes, Short , Castagna or Baker type but I still think it’s worth a risk in this weirdo year

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
agree. when your luck is running, and your in command of things, and your pockets are full of money,

you have a bit of a crack.

take the next Buddy Franklin with glandular fever at 21.

with the rest of the picks, id say we'll stick to the template; either fast or tough or both, with big motors.

how the *smile* did $hai Bolton get to pick 29?
im tipping balta at 25 will prove to be an even bigger steal and that is no disrespect to shai

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
With the lack of proper research into this years kids, we're probably at the mercy of another club calling Rioli earlier than he should be simply because of the name.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Blair on the record saying we are in the market for trading this seasons picks for future picks.

So expect a quiet draft year.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
How many picks will we take - I think we have only had two delisting and one trade from memory.

With Rioli coming in, can’t see to much action, maybe a couple of extra picks.

We should also add pick 17 to that mix with Higgins out the door.

My guess is that they want the saints first rounder next year which I can’t see happening.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah I don't see us doing a lot, It is totally going to depend on list sizes but the thought seems to be they will be 40, so to get to 40 we won't take much.

Still reckon we take 1 pick plus MRJ, plus Baxter (potentially).

If we can gain extra picks next year then thats what we should be doing. If we can have 4-5 picks in the top 40 or so next year we will be really well set.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How many picks will we take - I think we have only had two delisting and one trade from memory.

With Rioli coming in, can’t see to much action, maybe a couple of extra picks.

My guess is that they want the saints first rounder next year which I can’t see happening.

I wonder if we got the Saints 1st they year, whether we can swap that with the Pies 1st next year which they seem to want to trade out so they don't use it on Daicos.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If we were to trade our 2nd this year (currently 36) for the Bombers 3rd next year, whats peoples thoughts?

I'd still prefer to give it to the Dogs as an attempt to get Pick 14, but if we pushed it to next year for a similar pick number it makes sense. Could be the pick the Bombers need to finish the Saad deal.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
If we were to trade our 2nd this year (currently 36) for the Bombers 3rd next year, whats peoples thoughts?

I'd still prefer to give it to the Dogs as an attempt to get Pick 14, but if we pushed it to next year for a similar pick number it makes sense. Could be the pick the Bombers need to finish the Saad deal.

I see the value in that assuming next year isn’t disrupted. This year’s draft numbers will be more variable in quality than usual. Not just the changes from U17 to U18, but the lack of development and learning compared to normal.

However, this strategy could backfire if there’s further waves to come, as has been the case in other countries already. A second year of disruptions would mean next year’s crop of kids would’ve missed both their U17 and U18 years.

Maybe we should hedge our bets a little.