Richmond's 2021Coaching Structure | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond's 2021Coaching Structure

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
This year's coaching structure was discussed within a thread somewhere that I can't find it has now been clarified on the AFL website:

Certainly a bit of a change up.

richmond.jpg

Fresh off back-to-back flags, the Tigers have shuffled the decks to replace two outgoing assistant coaches under Damien Hardwick. Backline/defence coach Justin Leppitsch has left the football industry, while forwards coach Craig McRae has crossed to Hawthorn in the same role. Adam Kingsley, who last year looked after midfield/stoppages, moves back to assume Leppitsch's post. Andrew McQualter takes control of the forwards combined with his ball movement remit after having a stronger focus on midfield in 2020. Sam Lonergan has stepped up from development to take on Kingsley's position across midfield/stoppages as Ivan Maric continues his work with the ruckmen. Xavier Clarke, who will coach the club's VFL side, will assist Lonergan. The Tigers' line coaches will take responsibility for development, with former development coach Ryan Ferguson cut last year, only to win the job as AFLW head coach.

Reactions: 6 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
This year's coaching structure was discussed within a thread somewhere that I can't find it has now been clarified on the AFL website:

Certainly a bit of a change up.

richmond.jpg

Fresh off back-to-back flags, the Tigers have shuffled the decks to replace two outgoing assistant coaches under Damien Hardwick. Backline/defence coach Justin Leppitsch has left the football industry, while forwards coach Craig McRae has crossed to Hawthorn in the same role. Adam Kingsley, who last year looked after midfield/stoppages, moves back to assume Leppitsch's post. Andrew McQualter takes control of the forwards combined with his ball movement remit after having a stronger focus on midfield in 2020. Sam Lonergan has stepped up from development to take on Kingsley's position across midfield/stoppages as Ivan Maric continues his work with the ruckmen. Xavier Clarke, who will coach the club's VFL side, will assist Lonergan. The Tigers' line coaches will take responsibility for development, with former development coach Ryan Ferguson cut last year, only to win the job as AFLW head coach.

Poor Andrew McQualter was out at training sporting a moon boot Wednesday.... so it all hands on deck!
(Expecting large delivery of coaching moon boots to Collingwood)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Poor Andrew McQualter was out at training sporting a moon boot Wednesday.... so it all hands on deck!
(Expecting large delivery of coaching moon boots to Collingwood)
Essendon has put a bid in to pick up the moon boot mid season draft.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The AFL has requested Richmond to Re-hire Gesh and Wallace to even out the competition

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Think this was actually announced a while ago wasn't it ?

Would prefer a bit more depth or have the Big L and Fly around ....but anyway.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I’m pretty passed off that clubs and players seem to be doing all the cuts while the *smile* wits at AFL house just lick the cream

Reactions: 4 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Ryan Ferguson should surely be used by the club this year as part of the development team.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
the AFL have slashed the soft cap by 30 per cent from more than $9 million to just over $6 million for this season.
Lots of changes and a challenge for every club.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think it is very hard for us to judge from the outside. Mcqualter has slowly worked his way up the ranks as has X Clarke. I recall an interview with Blair Hartley where he was high in praise of Lonergan who ran the training in Melbourne in 2020 whilst most of the players were in the Queensland hub.
People grow and get better and hopefully we have developed these guys well.

Reactions: 3 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Seemed to have gone very light on with development. I’m comfortable with this as we seem to have the best conditioning coach in the league in Burge. And wise heads in Balme and Livingstone (very impressive person) that will be all setting high and the required standards for the playing group. Plus our leadership group are proven performers so they will keep the rest honest and develop them along.

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Seemed to have gone very light on with development. I’m comfortable with this as we seem to have the best conditioning coach in the league in Burge. And wise heads in Balme and Livingstone (very impressive person) that will be all setting high and the required standards for the playing group. Plus our leadership group are proven performers so they will keep the rest honest and develop them along.
I guess we’ve got Cotch, Jack, maybe Grimes and DTLD who can all act as playing development coaches.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Imagine how many top level coaches or head coaches this dynasty will produce.

Reactions: 1 user

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Leppa is a sad loss for us.
I think he left on good terms.
Did he get homesick?
If there ever was a monte for a succession plan it would have to be this guy.
(and no I don't have any inside info just prognosticating!)
Not saying Beavis is leaving.
He has been great, amazing and very productive for us.
Would love to see Leppa return as Coach one day.
He and Dimma obviously get on really well together.
The players love him.
Leppa left us the first time to coach Brisbane and once he got the bullet he was straight back into his old gig.
I just think it would be great succession planning.
And this time he would have a wealth of experience to make a better fist of the job.
Your thoughts?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Your thoughts?

that we should lure a bloke out of retirement to succeed a bloke who will be there for another 10 years?

I dunno G3,

I think that ship has sailed.

yesterdays man.

I reckon someone like Kane Lambert will have time to play another 50 games, retire, do a 5 year assistants apprenticeship somewhere else,

Then succeed Dimma.