Richmond's Premiership Window? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond's Premiership Window?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Five grand finals for 4 wins in 8 years
Only twelve teams instead of eighteen. Clubs had seniors, ressies, under 19s n lists of about 100 players instead if 40 something. Serious performance effort if a club can get three flags in half a dozen years or even simply play finals for most of a ten year period.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Windows don’t stay open too long.
Going back over the premiers for this century :

Essendons was open for just 3 seasons, 99-01, winning 1.
Brisbane was 4 seasons, 01-04 winning 3.
Port was 2, 03-04 winning 1.
Sydney was 2, 05-06 winning 1.
West coast was 3, 05-07 winning 1.
Geelongs IS 2007 to current! Winning 3. They’ve finished in the top 4 every season (bar 2012 when they finished 6 and 2015 when they missed the finals) for 11 seasons.
Hawthorn was 1, 2008.
Collingwood was 4 seasons, 2009-13 winning 1.
Sydney was 6, 2012-2017 winning 1.
Hawthorn was 5, 2012-2016 winning 3
Western bulldogs was 1, 2016, winning 1.
West coast is 2016- 2019, winning 1 so far.
Richmond IS 4, 2017-2020, winning......3!

of course these just highlight the teams who WON one in their window. Collingwood in 01-02, St Kilda in 09/10 Both failing to win one in their window.

Kind of see us similar to Brisbane era. Very well balanced.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Been open a fair while. We have done well replenishing the support cast when we lost Maric, Newman, Foley King, Jackson and lids.

The one big addition which has made us more formidable is the second class forward tall which Jack had never had to assist.

Rancey a big loss and Jack and Shed will be also. Cotchin's output is slowly diminishing but he still impacts games at vital moments.

If our big three plus Shed play well another three years, no reason we cant contend for that period. We have some top line A grade replacements in Prestia and Lynch and some promising kids but it will be near impossible to replace what Dusty and Jack provide.
Good thoughts lambyz
Jack and shed look great.
no age problems.
but so did Rance and Grigga

ross can play and that could push Cotchin to the forward flank maybe.
last year proved we can win a flag without Rance.
Garthwaite Balta in the wings.
dusty is a once a century player.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
The younger players have shown they can play, as long as enough leaders are around. They believe in themselves and the system.
We have exciting players playing an unpredictable style, with belief. All players making the most of themselves. Could win another 1 at least, can the younger players become superstars?

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Windows don’t stay open too long.
Going back over the premiers for this century :

Essendons was open for just 3 seasons, 99-01, winning 1.
Brisbane was 4 seasons, 01-04 winning 3.
Port was 2, 03-04 winning 1.
Sydney was 2, 05-06 winning 1.
West coast was 3, 05-07 winning 1.
Geelongs IS 2007 to current! Winning 3. They’ve finished in the top 4 every season (bar 2012 when they finished 6 and 2015 when they missed the finals) for 11 seasons.
Hawthorn was 1, 2008.
Collingwood was 4 seasons, 2009-13 winning 1.
Sydney was 6, 2012-2017 winning 1.
Hawthorn was 5, 2012-2016 winning 3
Western bulldogs was 1, 2016, winning 1.
West coast is 2016- 2019, winning 1 so far.
Richmond IS 4, 2017-2020, winning......3!

of course these just highlight the teams who WON one in their window. Collingwood in 01-02, St Kilda in 09/10 Both failing to win one in their window.

The consideration you have to bear in mind is how envious other players must be of our environment, and therefore the drawing power we have with free agents.

As start get older and either retire or have contracts re-negotiated, we can virtually instantly plug holes whilst still developing our impressive list of young talent. Our window may very well still be open when we start to draft Marlion's boys under the father son rule!

Membership numbers that embarrass even the Pies figures
MCG for home games
Consistent finals appearances
Genuine strong culture

What's not to like about becoming a Tiger!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The consideration you have to bear in mind is how envious other players must be of our environment, and therefore the drawing power we have with free agents.

This is what I like about Hardwick coaching the Victorian team in the bushfire exhibition match. He gets to make an impression on good players who might be unhappy, or who will talk to teammates who might be unhappy. He's sure to be relaxed and at his most genial at this time of year. And he gets to select the team!

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
When we all talk about the window shutting, it will already have shut six months before.

It happens fast. I reckon we have 2 or 3 years of competing for flags. If a couple of Stack, Ross, Balta, Naish, RCD or someone else jumps up and becomes A grade elite we can push the window out a couple more years.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Stack is cotch’s best fit replacement I recon

If Ross gets to 80% dustyness I’ll be happy

RCD great size and burning it up

The big giraffe should be able to plug any holes at full forward

Marlion an instant upgrade on Ellis I see him on a wing

Balta has the tools to be a genuine Rance replacement

These young guys should be on in 3 years

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Stack is cotch’s best fit replacement I recon

If Ross gets to 80% dustyness I’ll be happy

RCD great size and burning it up

The big giraffe should be able to plug any holes at full forward

Marlion an instant upgrade on Ellis I see him on a wing

Balta has the tools to be a genuine Rance replacement

These young guys should be on in 3 years
I see the premiership window being as big as the Myer shopfront.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The Premiership Window hasn’t been a thing since pre-2007 I reckon. The successful clubs are remaining successful.

We were one of the very few clubs to emerge out of a “doom loop” and enter a success loop. Unless equalisation measures are drastically reformed, I‘d expect us to be like Sydney/Geelong/Hawthorn have been over the past 13 years, because that’s the AFL system we’re in.

I know supporters will hate hearing this, but staying there is a much easier job than getting there.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Staying at the top if is as much a mental challenge as it is a player resource issue.

I reckon we have 2 more years to seriously challenge and would realistically hope for 1 more flag during this period - anything more is an absolute bonus imo.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Quite confident that the Premiership window is still wide open.
Bolton to replace Edwards, Ross to replace Cotchin. With a bit of Leppa polish, Balta can replace Rance.
Stack can replace Dusty in a few years as a mid and dangerous forward.
CCJ to be groomed as a forward to replace Jack.
Reckon we've got the bases pretty well covered.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Quite confident that the Premiership window is still wide open.
Bolton to replace Edwards, Ross to replace Cotchin. With a bit of Leppa polish, Balta can replace Rance.
Stack can replace Dusty in a few years as a mid and dangerous forward.
CCJ to be groomed as a forward to replace Jack.
Reckon we've got the bases pretty well covered.

I honestly reckon, given the youth we have (I'd nominate CCJ, $hai, Ross, Balta and Stackman as 5 potential A graders)

and the middle aged champs (Vlastuin, Grimes, Prestia, Lynch etc)

and the durability of our 30 yo's,

that our window will stay gapingly open

as long as Dusty runs out on the field.

Its not hard for me to imagine at all,

the fairy tale finish to Dustys career with a 6th premiership medal in his final game to go with his 4 norm smiths, when he's 35.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I honestly reckon, given the youth we have (I'd nominate CCJ, $hai, Ross, Balta and Stackman as 5 potential A graders)

Agree, they are the 5 players that i mentioned in my post, and we haven't even mentioned Fish yet :banana