Richmond's seeming reluctance to go into a Hub | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond's seeming reluctance to go into a Hub

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yep, can you imagine how we would have been ripped apart for not taking things seriously if we lost 17 when we were seen laughing and joking before the Grand Final. Or if we had a *smile* year in 18 but Higlet was still telling pre-game huddle jokes?

I actually dont care if the players have gender realignment surgery at half-time and play on pogo sticks.

as long as they play.

the take home message in case anyone is misunderstanding me: I support a footy club; I expect the players to play footy. How they do that, and how successful they are is not in question.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I see it differently. This real (vs manufactured) connectedness the entire club has, that special thing we have that delivered 2 Premierships in 3 years, is the same thing that has our squad focusing on the impact of their choices outside of football. As much as we would like them to switch it off in this scenario, they can't. Or if they could, we'd lose it for good.

Surprisingly it was Lyon who this morning defending the stance the team is taking. Said this focus on family is what made Richmond what they are today. It's what the other teams chased.

Like all things in life, you have to take the good with the bad. If this is the bad of winning 2 Premierships in 3 years. I'll take it anyday.

Post of Baloo’s life. With you times 100 brother bear.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
If we'd finished top 4 years the last 3 years without winning a flag I'm tipping our messaging would be completely different. As Ross Lyon says, we have 2 in the back pocket so focus is not as strong as those searching for 1.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Crazy response by some.

Richmond puts family and life above football.

Is there really debate about this? I don’t watch footy media.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
She has a Masters degree and a pretty fair career of her own.

But I'm not saying that he did the wrong thing, I'm saying if you want to look down the camera barrel all solemnly and say family comes first, you should probably remember that a couple of years before you were happy to hit the drink for a fortnight overseas with the boys at the drop of a hat.
I see your point but they weren't officially family then. A last boys' holiday before the ball and chain are applied?

She might have a great career but she's not on 800k.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
How come all this connectedness doesn't result in a group who say we have a chance to make some history go back to back and three in 4 years the best in RFC history and not only that but it's the toughest season in footy history so let's bond like never before, one in all in and let's Show the footy world what we can do?

Reactions: 3 users

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
How come all this connectedness doesn't result in a group who say we have a chance to make some history go back to back and three in 4 years the best in RFC history and not only that but it's the toughest season in footy history so let's bond like never before, one in all in and let's Show the footy world what we can do?

I understand that the players families may come first in regards to hubs going forward. However, the lack of desire, effort, tackling, care for each other and respect for the members and supporters over the last few weeks has just been completely unacceptable. The lame efforts have been very obvious. For me the effort from the leaders has been the biggest concern. It's blatent complacency in a time where many members are supporting the club by paying for memberships while not attending games. These membership ultimately pay some of the players wages... So when we watch in disbelief the senior players just cruising and spectating without competing it's very hard to take. Yes we have been spoilt the last 3 years and we thank them for those great times. However, I really worry that the club will struggle to sell memberships next year due to this lack of effort and grit shown by many of the senior players. Members just won't cop it. Great clubs don't accept this type of mediocrity. The fan engagement has also been terribly average again in a time when we have paid up and are getting nothing. I personally will renew my two 3121 memberships next year. But I do sympathise with any member that doesn't.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Fair enough too, but I reckon if the conversation was "Listen Darl, I've got the choice of two weeks in Thailand with the boys, leaving tomorrow, or I need to go away in a week or two to work for 32 days, what would you prefer?"

Have a feeling I know what the answer would be in most households.
If a man was asking a woman, she would say, "Work is work, but you're not going on holiday without me!"

A man would answer, "Have fun, honey. See you in two weeks."

• Haha

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Fair enough too, but I reckon if the conversation was "Listen Darl, I've got the choice of two weeks in Thailand with the boys, leaving tomorrow, or I need to go away in a week or two to work for 32 days, what would you prefer?"

Have a feeling I know what the answer would be in most households.

Very good point.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Put it this way if we lose to Melbourne this week they can send Troy Taylor and Ty Zantuck for all I care.
Because the season will be shot.

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Jack Riewoldt our vice captain had indicated his reluctance to go into a hub as far back as April and has been doubling down since, Cotch, our Captain, has been disappointing in his messaging in this space as well, sends a terrible message to the rest of the playing list as well as members.
Carro mirrored exactly what I am feeling on Footy Classified.
I would never abandon the Tige's but downgrading my membership definitely on the cards dependant on the intent and attitude shown by the playing list, especially it's leaders, for the rest of the season, (no I am not talking win/loss someone has to lose it is about not surrendering to the situation).

Anyway watch from about the 13 minute mark it is a very relevant discussion for tiger fans:

I agree 100%. Compare the message from our guys to teams like Bris & Port (who were also played) & thier guys are chomping at the bit to get on a plane.

Reactions: 1 users

OldTiger67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 6, 2016
I understand that the players families may come first in regards to hubs going forward. However, the lack of desire, effort, tackling, care for each other and respect for the members and supporters over the last few weeks has just been completely unacceptable. The lame efforts have been very obvious. For me the effort from the leaders has been the biggest concern. It's blatent complacency in a time where many members are supporting the club by paying for memberships while not attending games. These membership ultimately pay some of the players wages... So when we watch in disbelief the senior players just cruising and spectating without competing it's very hard to take. Yes we have been spoilt the last 3 years and we thank them for those great times. However, I really worry that the club will struggle to sell memberships next year due to this lack of effort and grit shown by many of the senior players. Members just won't cop it. Great clubs don't accept this type of mediocrity. The fan engagement has also been terribly average again in a time when we have paid up and are getting nothing. I personally will renew my two 3121 memberships next year. But I do sympathise with any member that doesn't.

Exactly! Completely dropped the ball. Two premierships is no excuse for slack performances and attitudes. The acceptance that 2 premierships is good eneough also exists within the supporter base. Just read some of the comments in this thread. Our standards have been high over the last 3 years, do not let them slip. Otherwise another 37 year wait will surely be on the cards.

Also, while I am at it - who in their right mind would leave BOTH Neil Balme and Brendon Gale out of the group of 30 permitted staff that players can have face to face contact with? Does this mean that there are 30 people more important to the team than them? We need their input and guidance right now.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
On the verge of checking out myself this Sunday if they lose to Melb.

Over & Out.

Hope the spark returns.

People need to give the players a break.
I don't care what people say this years premier's will be tainted.
No better then a fosters cup premiership in my eyes.

They introduced shorter qtrs and longer breaks to have more then 1 game a week. When they had the opportunity to do it for the Melb/Ess game they just postponed it.
Games are being decided in the first 10 minutes of the first qtr.
With the team in the lead at qtr time shutting shop.
Its a pox season which ever way you look at it..

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Touche.

Exactly.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If Victoria doesn’t get on top of its issues fairly quickly, the AFL will simply run out of viable permutations and time for the remaining games. Victorian teams cannot visit Queensland, and Queensland teams cannot play against a team that has been in Victoria in the previous 14 days without going into 14 days of quarantine afterwards. There are a lot of matches still to be played by Vic teams v Brisbane and GC, and they can’t all be squeezed into a few weeks.

Sleepless nights for Gil.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user