Richmond's seeming reluctance to go into a Hub | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond's seeming reluctance to go into a Hub

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
It was good to see Cotch has offered to pay the fine himself... IMO this shows the mans integrity. Love Cotch.

LOL

Offered did he? More like publicly bullied. Otherwise why would this article exist 2 days PRIOR to his "integrity" kicking in? If it were genuine he would have done it asap, but this is just "damage control" setting in.

Thats what we do these days, we publicly bully people into submission - and when the bend to our whims, we smile, nod - and move onto the next target.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
As I understand it, the players' families are being put up at the AFL's expense. This is a privilege.

In return, they have a set of rules by which they must abide.

The entire effort is designed to keep the competition going.

In Australia, we are all equal before the law. I think that's why we hate engineered outcomes and offender confidentiality.

If you break the rules, own it.

If you're a member of the media, report it.

#FreeMitchCleary

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If i were the players, I would just go home. *smile* it. Its not worth your family possibly being public named and shamed for this *smile*. That is an insane consequence. I'd support any player that chose to just leave now - then all these "members" will have a freaking cow over that.

The players and families were well aware of the rules before they allowed them to go up. Some chose to bring their families up, some chose to leave them behind in Melbourne. If a player chooses to bring their family up, then it's without exception that they're agreeing to the rules in place. If they feel the rules are too restrictive, then let the family stay in Melbourne. If they decide Hub Life isn't the right thing for the family and the player doesn't want to be apart from them, then it's his choice to stay home.

But once you sign on for hub life, you must follow hub rules. No one is forced to be there.

Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
How do you accidently get a haircut? Did the body scrub and lotioning happen accidentally too?

Then she slipped and accidentally posted to the 'gram?

I have no idea

Which is the whole point.

I said it before, nick vlastuin goes surfing and spreads it all over the wireless.

Brooke broke rules? Obviously.

The Cotchins have some proffesionalism credit in the bank?

Obviously.

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
As I understand it, the players' families are being put up at the AFL's expense. This is a privilege.

In return, they have a set of rules by which they must abide.

The entire effort is designed to keep the competition going.

In Australia, we are all equal before the law. I think that's why we hate engineered outcomes and offender confidentiality.

If you break the rules, own it.

If you're a member of the media, report it.

#FreeMitchCleary

LMAO. Privilege?

If this is a paid holiday, it would be the worse paid holiday ever. Do not pass go. Do not collect $20,000. This is like my company sending me to South Australia for a work trip, but between doing my work, me nor my family are allowed to leave the Holiday Inn. Thats not a privilege. This is equal ti a FIFO miner being fined his salary because his wife came with him and broke the "no boozing" condition.

Fact Alert - without the players, the game cant be played. The AFL did what they needed to do to keep the competition going to try and keep as much of the $250,000,000 left on the table as possible. They are not doing it to give a *smile* about family or public health, its only interest is the financial implications COVID has had on this season.

What choice did the players have in this, really? Either accept the conditions or be publicly denounced for not playing for your team. Our blokes copped enough *smile* just by insinuating they were not overly keen to go in the hub. They got some pretty clear public backlash from those comments and the only ones who stayed home were those 2 which had babies on the way. It was quite clear from that brief moment that any player who refused to play would be seen as being soft.

Reactions: 1 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
The players and families were well aware of the rules before they allowed them to go up. Some chose to bring their families up, some chose to leave them behind in Melbourne. If a player chooses to bring their family up, then it's without exception that they're agreeing to the rules in place. If they feel the rules are too restrictive, then let the family stay in Melbourne. If they decide Hub Life isn't the right thing for the family and the player doesn't want to be apart from them, then it's his choice to stay home.

But once you sign on for hub life, you must follow hub rules. No one is forced to be there.

Yes, the players families were well aware of the rules.

So were the AFL.

So were the clubs.

The rules and condition of breaching was, that if a player or family member was found guilty of breaking the hub, the CLUB is responsible for the fines.

THAT was the contract & that was the condition of agreement they all agreed to prior to accepting. The reason for that was, there is no *smile* way the players or the PA would have agreed to allowing family members to be fined. Essentially people are just trying to bully them into accepting a condition that is both not agreed to, and completely unlawful. To be fair, Richmond is not doing this - its only the public and certain parts of the media hyping it up. The actual people who signed the contract appeared to accept it and moved on

As the ump would say - "PLAY ON"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yes, the players families were well aware of the rules.

So were the AFL.

So were the clubs.

The rules and condition of breaching was, that if a player or family member was found guilty of breaking the hub, the CLUB is responsible for the fines.

THAT was the contract & that was the condition of agreement they all agreed to prior to accepting.

As the ump would say - "PLAY ON"

Not against us, it would've been in the back

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LMAO. Privilege?

If this is a paid holiday, it would be the worse paid holiday ever. Do not pass go. Do not collect $20,000. This is like my company sending me to South Australia for a work trip, but between doing my work, me nor my family are allowed to leave the Holiday Inn. Thats not a privilege. This is equal to a FIFO miner being fined his salary because his wife came with him and broke the "no boozing" condition.

It's not the Holiday Inn, it's a 5 star resort. People pay big money to go to these places and never leave for the duration of their holiday. Tthat was the deal they agreed to, stick by it. Trent's a great captain and Brooke could be a great person, it's irrelevant.

I don't care if she/Trent apologises or not, up to them. Don't really care if they or they club pays, but the rules were broken so somebody has to pay.

I just can't feel sorry for people who are on many times the average family income running in to grief because they broke the rules in order to get a freebie at a day spa by leaving their 5 star resort that other people are paying for.

Reactions: 3 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
It's not the Holiday Inn, it's a 5 star resort. People pay big money to go to these places and never leave for the duration of their holiday. Tthat was the deal they agreed to, stick by it. Trent's a great captain and Brooke could be a great person, it's irrelevant.

I don't care if she/Trent apologises or not, up to them. Don't really care if they or they club pays, but the rules were broken so somebody has to pay.

I just can't feel sorry for people who are on many times the average family income running in to grief because they broke the rules in order to get a freebie at a day spa by leaving their 5 star resort that other people are paying for.

She has been penalised as per the agreement. Case should be closed except for the Ken & Karen's of the world having a hissy fit

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Do you want me sing,
Careless Whisper?

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019

you sound like a jealous *smile*. a 5 star resort is not that impressive when you live in a multi-million dollar house. Just because some are average and others are not does not mean empathy for the well-to-do is not a quality we abide by. Empathy should not pertain to race, social class etc - it should just be a characteristic which flows both ways. The Cotchin's seem like good people - so bullying them and leaving my empathy at the door seems like a bad practice.

The Trumps on the other hand.....

Also, You dont actually know she got a freebie - the only person who said that was me & I said it with all clarity of it being 'assumed'. Its not fact at all, but you are now running with that like its a truth.

Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
If i were the players, I would just go home. *smile* it. Its not worth your family possibly being public named and shamed for this *smile*. That is an insane consequence. I'd support any player that chose to just leave now - then all these "members" will have a freaking cow over that.

We want players and their entire family to be accountable to us, where the truth is their key priority should just be to each other. No way would i put my wife through this *smile*. Being an AFL players wife sounds like a shitful job - Cotch & his family by default have done more than enough for me to beleive they have a truckload of runs on the board to make a small mistake without having to bend over and spread their cheeks for the members with "public apology", paying an inflated fine for NOT breaking the law etc etc etc.

IF the club wants, they can sack cotch. Stand him down. They wont though, as its a dumb consequence. Smart move.

IF the AFL wants, they could just expell the player and his family from the hub. They wont though, as without the stars the fact they are running a half assed competition in the middle of a pandemic will become blatantly obvious. The product has already been watered down to a point where it's laughable.

As if the player and his wife didn't know the GPs were taking the kids to Dreamworld. Guarantee it was discussed and agreed beforehand

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012

She *smile* up. As have others. I'm sure she feels like *smile* about it. I miss the good old days when people didn't get outraged at *smile* like this.

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
As if the player and his wife didn't know the GPs were taking the kids to Dreamworld. Guarantee it was discussed and agreed beforehand

More than likely - yep.

Pretty positive Cotchin's wife didnt leave the kids to fend for themselves while she was at the Spa. Trent knew what she was up to, he had to have had - as he would have been with the kids. Situations the same, but for some reason - only she is copping it.

As supporters, we still have a long way to go.

When Rance retired, many on this and other forums were pretty quick to blame her for HIS decision. She copped a lot. All unfairly IMO

Then, the supporters somehow got Higgo & his misses involved & it was all of a sudden 'her fault' - until she put us in our place.

The Cotchin situation screams of a similar thing. Trent knew where she was - who else was looking after their 3 kids?. People need to accept that this has been a really shitty year for a lot of people & we are all at a breaking point. We all need some TLC. Trent probably chose to be a "good husband" for once over being a "good captain" and told her - babe, just go & treat yourself. It backfired. la de da, life goes on. We dont all need an apology and nor should we care who pays the fine, as long as its not us. She broke no QLD law, all she did was break some corporate enforced law that was scrappily put together to try and make some buckazoids

The club is reaping massive profits over the success the players have created, for once money is not a big problem at Tigerland. The best thing we all could do for the club is not say boo about wanting "this or that" from the Cotchins. They would rather pay the fine and move on ASAP. Last thing Dimma wants is his captain and his wife pissed off at the club, the supporters or the AFL.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I suppose the AFL, infinite in its wisdom, just decided the fines on the basis of a club's infringement. However, the fine seems harsh to Brooke Cotchin to me (especially since the Cotchins may be paying it). All the others involved multiple people - at least 2 or a whole large group.

So why is her/their fine incommensurate. I'd argue it would more justified as effectively $10k rather than double that. Otherwise, for my part, we all make mistakes, Brooke. I'm sure you are a wonderful wife and mother and a fantastically-supportive partner for Trent.

Move on .... something much more real to worry about tomorrow night.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
She *smile* up. As have others. I'm sure she feels like *smile* about it. I miss the good old days when people didn't get outraged at *smile* like this.

Agree completely. We should shut up about Collingwood's recent stuff-ups as well.