Rivals circling our Premiership heroes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rivals circling our Premiership heroes

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
If you want Peter Wright, Nathan Broad might be the price.

I love Broady, do not want to see him go anywhere.

If Broad wants to be paid and we can't - then that answers itself. He deserves a pay day.

Broad is 27 and a 2 time premiership player. Suns might offer him a clear $100k more a year than we can offer him.

Wright just wants structure and opportunity, his pay cheque is something he knows he is still earning.

I think Broad for Wright would be us paying overs for onfield effect - but the cap space we could save might be incredibly important. The team is going to have a real battle on their hand. The deal would be risky, but with an intense cap squeeze on its way - it might be the type of deals we have to make.

The only thing that would sweeten the deal of course is - if Alex decided to come back at a discounted rate :cool: If he has not managed to save his marriage, his Nepal trekking dreams are DEFINITELY in smoke - why wouldn't he want to come back now? I have nfi where he is at, but man - what a *smile* great outcome that would be for our 2021 hopes

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
WATSON CAUTIONS SUNS OVER OUT-OF-CONTRACT TIGER

Essendon legend Tim Watson has warned the Gold Coast Suns to be “a little bit circumspect” in their pursuit of Richmond defender Nathan Broad.

It was reported on Thursday that multiple clubs are circling the two-time premiership Tiger, who has played every game this season.

Speaking on SEN Breakfast, Watson said that while Broad could be good at the right price, the Suns should be wary of paying too much to prise the 27-year-old out of Punt Road.

“You just need to analyse exactly what you’re going to get,” he said.

“I think there’s certain players that as part of a unit look good, but I wouldn’t be overpaying for these types of players because

I think once you take them out of that system and that unit then they’re not maybe what you think they are, so I’d just be a little bit circumspect about that one.

“It’s not that he can’t play ... just don’t be overpaying for those sorts of blokes, but they’re probably being underpaid at Richmond too because there’s so many talented players they need to keep on their list.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...r/news-story/7a5ddfcc283ac6348543edb978f24baf

GEE TIMBO IS A FLOG

• Haha

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If Broad wants to be paid and we can't - then that answers itself. He deserves a pay day.

Broad is 27 and a 2 time premiership player. Suns might offer him a clear $100k more a year than we can offer him.

Wright just wants structure and opportunity, his pay cheque is something he knows he is still earning.

I think Broad for Wright would be us paying overs for onfield effect - but the cap space we could save might be incredibly important. The team is going to have a real battle on their hand. The deal would be risky, but with an intense cap squeeze on its way - it might be the type of deals we have to make.

The only thing that would sweeten the deal of course is - if Alex decided to come back at a discounted rate :cool: If he has not managed to save his marriage, his Nepal trekking dreams are DEFINITELY in smoke - why wouldn't he want to come back now? I have nfi where he is at, but man - what a *smile* great outcome that would be for our 2021 hopes
I don't think there's any universe in which we could pay Peter Wright less than Nathan Broad, Raoul.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Essendon legend Tim Watson has warned the Gold Coast Suns to be “a little bit circumspect” in their pursuit of Richmond defender Nathan Broad.

It was reported on Thursday that multiple clubs are circling the two-time premiership Tiger, who has played every game this season.

Speaking on SEN Breakfast, Watson said that while Broad could be good at the right price, the Suns should be wary of paying too much to prise the 27-year-old out of Punt Road.

“I think there’s certain players that as part of a unit look good, but I wouldn’t be overpaying for these types of players because

I think once you take them out of that system and that unit then they’re not maybe what you think they are, so I’d just be a little bit circumspect about that one.

“It’s not that he can’t play ... just don’t be overpaying for those sorts of blokes, but they’re probably being underpaid at Richmond too because there’s so many talented players they need to keep on their list.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...r/news-story/7a5ddfcc283ac6348543edb978f24baf

GEE TIMBO IS A FLOG
He's doing us a favour with those comments.

Reactions: 4 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
I don't think there's any universe in which we could pay Peter Wright less than Nathan Broad, Raoul.

He is under contract until 2022, so it would all depend on his current deal. You may well be "wright" as the Suns most likely over-payed him in 2019

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Forget trading Broady - we keep him for life as a great dual-premiership defender. Has turned into an all-round strong player - so reliable and durable, has worked on and improved all elements of his game to hardly show a weakness now. But there's always a caveat - now due to sharply reduced soft cap and playing list number: if Nathan really wanted to go home to WA, and Cerra wants to come home to RFC, then ... we deal.

Cerra has got me convinced now and was surprised to see he's 1cm taller than Dusty; a bit lighter but much younger. He's always looks small on-field to me - blue must be slimming! Cerra is just what we need now. Or someone as good (know it would take more players or picks to prise him out of Freo - KMac too?)

But why are we even talking about 2m Peter? We already have a ruck/KPF excess that other clubs are sniffing around. We need to keep CCJ since no-one has much idea of his ceiling yet. Is he going to mature into being our best ruckman/forward in the near future? It's a bit of a conundrum with our ruckmen situation. Who do we need least? Soldo?

But we don't want another one clogging up our list with doubts over their capacities.

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think there are only rumours around the cap being reduced and playing lists being reduced.

For me and seeing the way they are playing this season, I think we have as a good a chance of playing more games next year, maybe 25 up from 22 in a normal season and move back to 20 minute quarters. This will lead to more games and therefore increased advertising revenue for the networks, plus IMO shorter turnarounds will start to result in higher scores hence more add breaks and therefore again more advertising revenue. Its what the league wants.

I would think the above scenario is far more palatable and far more desired than reducing list sizes / caps.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Forget trading Broady - we keep him for life as a great dual-premiership defender. Has turned into an all-round strong player - so reliable and durable, has worked on and improved all elements of his game to hardly show a weakness now. But there's always a caveat - now due to sharply reduced soft cap and playing list number: if Nathan really wanted to go home to WA, and Cerra wants to come home to RFC, then ... we deal.

Cerra has got me convinced now and was surprised to see he's 1cm taller than Dusty; a bit lighter but much younger. He's always looks small on-field to me - blue must be slimming! Cerra is just what we need now. Or someone as good (know it would take more players or picks to prise him out of Freo - KMac too?)

But why are we even talking about 2m Peter? We already have a ruck/KPF excess that other clubs are sniffing around. We need to keep CCJ since no-one has much idea of his ceiling yet. Is he going to mature into being our best ruckman/forward in the near future? It's a bit of a conundrum with our ruckmen situation. Who do we need least? Soldo?

But we don't want another one clogging up our list with doubts over their capacities.

Agree want to keep CCJ rather than get Wright

Cerra is the one and if we have use Pickett then I am interested in dealing. May have to use a pick as well

Also Brodie from the Suns. Out of favour. If we trade someone else out then use that pick to get Brodie. He has some good numbers as inside mid and is 189cm. Don't know enough recent info on Brodie just assume he is out of favour with Suns having good numbers of inside mids.

Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Wright is the wrong player for us.

We need another big bodied onballer not another Ruckman. We must keep CCJ

Reactions: 5 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Not sure where this silly suggestion came from, about us potentially being a possible club for Peter Wright.
He has never really performed.
He is a total liability when the ball hits the deck, a dinosaur with zero forward pressure.
We already have a quality tall prospect in CCJ who can't squeeze into our lineup, and CCJ is a much better prospect that 2MP.
No need to give this one any oxygen.

And by the way, Broady is a serious player and integral to our line-up.
I'm pretty confident our football dept know this and wont be letting him go.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So far other clubs are apparently interested in: graham, Pickett, Soldo, Nank, CCJ and Broad.

Hmmm, not sure. Muckraking journalism? Filling content?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
So far other clubs are apparently interested in: graham, Pickett, Soldo, Nank, CCJ and Broad.

Hmmm, not sure. Muckraking journalism? Filling content?
Clubs are talking to managers and to other clubs. Some, most likely managers, are whispering to meeja. It's that time of year. Discussions are being had.

Reactions: 1 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Watson said...“I think there’s certain players that...I think once you take them out of that system...then they’re not maybe what you think they are, so I’d just be a little bit circumspect about that one.
Finally we get a true quote from Watson relevant to the Essendon PED’s system.
Plenty had their doubts, and once the doping stopped, they were proven right. Average cattle are just average cattle without the dope.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

GEE TIMBO IS A FLOG
Brandon Ellis says hello.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
This is another tactic of trying to derail clubs.
Rumours of players moving or other clubs showing interest is generated to upset playing groups and fracture clubs.
In a space of 7 days we are losing,
Higgins to hawthorn
Graham to Adelaide
Broad to GC
Coleman Jones to GWS
Who's next Castagna to Frankston??

Geelong West was the rumor I heard.