Rob Wiley interview | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rob Wiley interview

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
I listened to an interesting interview with Rob Wiley on the "This is your sporting life series", who we discussed as a fave of many of us in another thread a while ago. Rob talks about his amazing career, both in Perth and with us, and how he had an ordinary first year at Tigerland in 1979. He said that not working as a teacher in that year was a mistake, as training didn't start until 5pm and he was just sitting around most days. He then did his hammy and found out that GR was trying to trade him to North Melbourne, he even met them for lunch to discuss the move.

Rob also said that he had heard that GR was trying to trade Geoff Raines and Flea Weightman during the 1979 season. Ironically, he noted that the top 3 in the B&F in 1980 were Rainsey, Rob and Flea! Lucky GR didn't pull off those trades!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Cheers Ossie.
I loved Wiley as a footballer. I still have his autograph that I got from him as a kid.
Reckon he was a bit underrated because he was surrounded by so many star players but truth of the matter is he was a star in his own right.
Incredibly talented, dual sided with skill to burn. Loved watching him play.

Reactions: 20 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Cheers Ossie.
I loved Wiley as a footballer. I still have his autograph that I got from him as a kid.
Reckon he was a bit underrated because he was surrounded by so many star players but truth of the matter is he was a star in his own right.
Incredibly talented, dual sided with skill to burn. Loved watching him play.
No worries at all Oldie. The interview will bring back some fond memories. Rob was a super player, loved watching him play like you did. Great pace and skills and could kick a goal from anywhere, his 55 metre left foot goal in the 1980 GF is a thing of beauty. He won an incredible 8 B&F's for Perth in the WAFL. A genuine champion.

Reactions: 3 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I can only remember when he played for the Eagles. My older brother said he was a champion then so I used to keep an eye on him.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
My memory of Robert Wiley is in front of a full house against Essendon. sitting on the top deck of the Ponsfold stand and seeing the post on the punt road end bouncing all over the place and wondering what happened (No big screens back then)
And then realising the stretcher was coming out because Rob Wiley had crashed into it.

Reactions: 1 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
I can only remember when he played for the Eagles. My older brother said he was a champion then so I used to keep an eye on him.
Your brother is a fine judge MB78! As a kid, I used to read about all of the interstate players we were chasing, it was very exciting to follow. Some like Rob and Maurice came over to us, some like Michael Aish kept us crossing our fingers!

Reactions: 1 user

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
My memory of Robert Wiley is in front of a full house against Essendon. sitting on the top deck of the Ponsfold stand and seeing the post on the punt road end bouncing all over the place and wondering what happened (No big screens back then)
And then realising the stretcher was coming out because Rob Wiley had crashed into it.
I remember that Zips, gee it would have hurt!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I listened to an interesting interview with Rob Wiley on the "This is your sporting life series", who we discussed as a fave of many of us in another thread a while ago. Rob talks about his amazing career, both in Perth and with us, and how he had an ordinary first year at Tigerland in 1979. He said that not working as a teacher in that year was a mistake, as training didn't start until 5pm and he was just sitting around most days. He then did his hammy and found out that GR was trying to trade him to North Melbourne, he even met them for lunch to discuss the move.

Rob also said that he had heard that GR was trying to trade Geoff Raines and Flea Weightman during the 1979 season. Ironically, he noted that the top 3 in the B&F in 1980 were Rainsey, Rob and Flea! Lucky GR didn't pull off those trades!

A gun player in the VFL and WAFL, an eight time WAFL best and fairest for his club Perth.
It's a joke that someone like Brad Hardie is inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame ahead of him.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I remember him well too for all the positives given above, such a skilful running machine who was hard and tough for a small/medium sized player. What I also noticed was he was so fast to get a contested ball on his boot to clear the packs - a trait that all the great modern mids must have these days - see the likes of Sam Mitchell, Cotchin, Tom Mitchell.

OMG, GR - what a maniac! Was he our equivalent of Eddie McChin back in that era. Did some great things early ... then a lot of harm towards the end of his career at RFC.

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Immensely skilful player and one of my favourites. Goal from the pocket to put us in front in the Francis Bourke blood match is etched in the memory, followed up with the sealer soon after.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

GR seems to have been trying to cripple the club before ‘83.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
26 possessions & 3 goals in the 1980 GF..
See that gets missed when lined up against KB's 7 goals but that is a tremendous match in anyone's language.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Remember Wiley kicking six or seven against the Bombers on a glorious afternoon in 1981

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
GR seems to have been trying to cripple the club before ‘83.
Agree Tim. I am still conflicted on GR's legacy. One one hand, 5 Premierships in a golden era. On the other, some of his decisions and treatment of players and the Collingwood recruiting war set us back 35 years.

Reactions: 6 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Remember Wiley kicking six or seven against the Bombers on a glorious afternoon in 1981
A fabulous game Antman. It was Round 3, 1982. We kicked 10 last quarter goals to the Punt Road End, Rob finished the match with a lazy 7 straight!

Reactions: 4 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Cheers Ossie. Too true. I’m pretty happy that as a young kid I had the wisdom to afford each of these champions a full page Of the book to themselves. :cool:
Haha, very wise indeed! I remember Disco and the Ghost having very easy to read signatures. Most times, I would get the sigs on the pages of the footy record, which were much smaller than they are now!

Reactions: 2 users