Roos jump in queue for Ottens
Damian Barrett
29sep04
SECURING Brad Ottens will be the key plank of an ambitious trade-week plan outlined by the cashed-up Kangaroos.
The Roos have committed to chasing the disgruntled Richmond tall, and other premium talent including Fremantle's Troy Simmonds, in next week's trading period after recent financially favourable outcomes.
The club's board has agreed to bolster next year's Total Player Payments by at least $400,000 and the exits of Anthony Stevens and David King have also freed funds.
Roos chief executive Geoff Walsh said last night his club was prepared to entertain Richmond's demands -- early draft picks -- for Ottens.
The Roos' first pick is No. 10 in the draft and thus are in a better position than Geelong and Sydney, who have also expressed interest in Ottens.
"We spoke with Richmond as late as Monday about Ottens, and we also spoke with Dan Richardson, of his management, before last weekend," Walsh said.
"We are interested in him and have told (Tigers football manager) Greg Miller that and will do what we can to get him.
"If they want early picks, then we will see what we can do (with other clubs) about that."
Walsh said after two years of paying between 92.5 and 93.5 per cent of the salary cap, about 97 per cent would be committed for season 2005 (about $6.11m of a possible $6.3m).
"Which will allow us to get out there in the marketplace and compete with all the big clubs on enticing big-name players here," Walsh said.
"We have identified the fact that we need to be in the market for a marquee or prominent player.
"We have fallen out of the finals race in the last couple of weeks of the year in the last two seasons.
"We also understand having spent two years reorganising our house that we have paid at possibly the lowest TPP rate in the competition.
"That was done by necessity and we don't regret that because it has helped us restore some type of financial order.
"But, we recognise we can't do that for any longer than we have if we wish to remain competitive and elevate ourselves in to a position where we can assist some of the young talent coming through.
"We are out there and having a crack."
The Kangaroos recently added former players Donald McDonald and Darren Crocker to their assistant coaching panel.
They have also had a discussion with retired Essendon midfielder Joe Misiti.
"We spoke with him, but there is no offer there, we were interested in speaking with a guy who had been involved with a fantastic organisation," Walsh said.
Should the Roos be unable to secure the in-demand Ottens, they will divert attention to the Melbourne-born Simmonds.
"We have spoken to Troy and his management," Walsh said.
"He is certainly one of the players we are after."