Rookie draft 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rookie draft 2018

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
TOT70 said:
If they let clubs just transfer players to the Rookie List, there would be no need for this.

In fact, given that there is no difference between when a rookie can play and when a listed player can play, they may as well just make the playing list 44 and be done with it.

Just on the Tigers, we will obviously list Weller and maybe one other player over the coming weeks. Or go to the mid-season draft with a vacancy on the list.

We will go one less. Because we have about $12.50 free in our cap.
Lynch & Martin has stopped any purchases till 2025

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Mr Brightside said:
Love this bloke as a VFL player, however have doubts on him at the top level, anyway I’ve seen worse on the RFC list, best of luck Jake hope you become a star

Agree pretty much, Aarts is a ripping bloke and obviously we have rewarded him for how hard he works but is a less talented small forward than what we have already got IMO.

"In the 2018 VFL season, of which he played 16 games, he amassed an average of 13 disposals, four tackles and over one goal and one score assist per game".

wayno

Tiger Rookie
Nov 3, 2004
Melbourne
Disappointed with Rookie Draft.

National Draft - will wait and see.

Liam Baker - Do not see him making it.

Townsend only there for Insurance
Weller - See Townsend

Chol - Cover in case we have ruck problems.

Aarts - Not sure??

Would of been better to rookie a Bailey Lambert or another young kid.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
All the state league guys recruited had pace, that would seem to be the key. Grigg, Bolton & Gibbons aren't quick so they get ignored. That's the trend.

Mitch Maguire very, very stiff. He needs to join a VFL club.

Plenty of spots at RFC VFL if they are keen, that would give us a good look at them, plus with 1 rookie spot available mid season it's basically one foot in the door if they are up to it.

Thx for all the posting again this yr. your posts & views are invaluable & very much appreciated.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
Plenty of spots at RFC VFL if they are keen, that would give us a good look at them, plus with 1 rookie spot available mid season it's basically one foot in the door if they are up to it.

Thx for all the posting again this yr. your posts & views are invaluable & very much appreciated.

No probs, I would love for someone at the RFC to reach out to Mitch, he's only 20 and looks a ripper. Given Ben Cavarra just got picked it's never over until the fat lady sings.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tiger Wayno said:

Weller - See Townsend

Aarts - Not sure??

Guess it's one way of making sure we've got plenty of room for next years draft.
Four or five players on a one year rookie deal. If they show nothing next year there's a quick flick n no-one will even notice. If one or two step up n produce it's pure bonus n perhaps another one year extension at most. Cholly's probably the only one from this lot who perhaps could still produce something to get excited about.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Tiger Wayno said:

Weller - See Townsend

Aarts - Not sure??

It was pretty clear that after about 55 picks there weren't that many players that were rated hence the large number of state leaguers picked at the end of the ND and the number of retreads in the rookie draft. It wasn't only us that picked retreads in the RD. We obviously didn't rate what was left so were happy that we would have ready to go depth on the rookie list and we get to give Chol 1 more year on cheap $'s.

Underwhelming I get but it seems most had a similar viewpoint after about pick 55 or so.

E

easy_tiger

Mr Brightside said:
Love this bloke as a VFL player, however have doubts on him at the top level, anyway I’ve seen worse on the RFC list, best of luck Jake hope you become a star

Havnt seen much of him but was pretty robinson crusoe in standing up in the vfl finals this year.

Culturally, i dont mind using a rookie spot as reward for ticker

Darth Tiger

The Sash is Back
Nov 24, 2004
Victoria
mrposhman said:
It was pretty clear that after about 55 picks there weren't that many players that were rated hence the large number of state leaguers picked at the end of the ND and the number of retreads in the rookie draft. It wasn't only us that picked retreads in the RD. We obviously didn't rate what was left so were happy that we would have ready to go depth on the rookie list and we get to give Chol 1 more year on cheap $'s.

Underwhelming I get but it seems most had a similar viewpoint after about pick 55 or so.

Agree, exposed form at state level contributed significantly to this draft.
Also think that Vic based AFL clubs having direct control of their VFL entities has supported the trust factor in the AFL readiness of those chosen.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
easy said:
Havnt seen much of him but was pretty robinson crusoe in standing up in the vfl finals this year.

Culturally, i dont mind using a rookie spot as reward for ticker
I think he needs a little ink and he can be a poor version of Jakey King

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think half the rookie draft selections were clubs just redrafting some of their delisted players.

Does this mean that the talent in this draft was a bit thin?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
tigertim said:
I think half the rookie draft selections were clubs just redrafting some of their delisted players.

The experts and tac watchers seem to all say that.

Thing is we won’t know hw good the draft was for another 5 years

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:

Rookie draft was horrible, retread city.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The rookie draft is outdated and isnt used to what is meant to be originally.
We redrafted the same blokes on the list.
Im pretty sure rookie means untried- new-

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
zippadeee said:
The rookie draft is outdated and isnt used to what is meant to be originally.
We redrafted the same blokes on the list.
Im pretty sure rookie means untried- new-

When the Rookie list was started though (and ergo the Rookie Draft) there was also a supplimentary list. They merged the two.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The_General said:
When the Rookie list was started though (and ergo the Rookie Draft) there was also a supplimentary list. They merged the two.

Why dont they just *smile* it off all together.
We passed our last 2 draft picks. So.we wouldnt pay townsend wbats he worth 80k

Bizzbizz

Tiger Rookie
Jul 13, 2015
What a waste of the rookie draft
Aarts ain’t good enough
Chol won’t make it would of rathered a project ruck
Towner love him for his tackles but he’s a spud

Should of went
McKenzie/Reid
Bolton/gibbons/grigg
Project ruck

Feel bad for
Bolton
Gibbons
Grigg

They’re 10 times the footballers of any of the rookies we picked up

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Bizzbizz said:
What a waste of the rookie draft
Aarts ain’t good enough
Chol won’t make it would of rathered a project ruck
Towner love him for his tackles but he’s a spud

Should of went
McKenzie/Reid
Bolton/gibbons/grigg
Project ruck

Feel bad for
Bolton
Gibbons
Grigg

They’re 10 times the footballers of any of the rookies we picked up

Speed is killing the careers of those star state leaguers, we're partly to blame. But yeah, at a bare minimum I would have liked to have seen a ruck like Jordan Sweet recruited. Fingers, toes crossed nothing happens to Nank.