Rookie Draft Results | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rookie Draft Results

tigertrue

! tiger time
Dec 17, 2002
RICHMOND

3. Richmond – Kelvin Moore (Yarra Valley Anglican School)
19. Richmond – Matthew Shir (Adelaide)
35. Richmond – Adam Pickering (Carlton)
50. Richmond – Pass
63. Richmond – Pass

(from Richmond) :

12. Essendon – Ben Haynes
43. Melbourne – Ezra Poyas

--------

Round One:

1. Carlton – Jonathon McCormack (Murray Kangaroos)
2. St Kilda – Allan Murray (Port Adelaide)
3. Richmond – Kelvin Moore (Yarra Valley Anglican School)
4. Fremantle – Ricky Mott (Sydney)
5. Western Bulldogs – Pass
6. Sydney – Heath James (Sydney)
7. Hawthorn – Brad Sewell (North Ballarat)
8. Geelong – Jeff Smith (East Perth)
9. West Coast – Aaron Edwards (Dandenong Stingrays)
10. Kangaroos – Michael Firrito (Box Hill Hawks)
11. Melbourne – Adam Fisher (North Ballarat Rebels)
12. Essendon – Ben Haynes (Richmond)
13. Adelaide – Hayden Skipworth (Adelaide)
14. Port Adelaide – Joel Patfull (Norwood
15. Collingwood - Nick Maxwell (North Ballarat)
16. Brisbane – Daniel Pratt (Kangaroos)

Round Two:

17. Carlton – Laurence Angwin (Box Hill Hawks)
18. St Kilda – Jordan Barham (Port Adelaide)
19. Richmond – Matthew Shir (Adelaide)
20. Fremantle – Ben Colreavy (Claremont)
21. Western Bulldogs – Pass
22. Sydney – Pass
23. Hawthorn – Michael Osborne (Hawthorn)
24. Geelong – Travis Jorgensen (Calder Cannons)
25. West Coast – Mark Nivoski (Subiaco)
26. Kangaroos – Jeremy Clayton (North Ballarat)
27. Melbourne – Dale Carson (Western Jets)
28. Essendon – Courtney Johns (East Fremantle)
29. Adelaide – Jason Porplyzia (West Adelaide)
30. Port Adelaide – Scott Borlane (Norwood)
31. Collingwood – Jason Roe (City Cobras)
32. Brisbane – Kevin Tandogac (Southport)

Round Three:

33. Carlton – Mark McKenzie (Port Adelaide)
34. St Kilda – Pass
35. Richmond – Adam Pickering (Carlton)
36. Fremantle – Daniel Gilmore (South Fremantle)
37. Western Bulldogs – Pass
38. Sydney – Pass
39. Hawthorn – Timothy Hazell (Hawthorn)
40. Geelong – Shannon Byrnes (Murray Bushrangers)
41. West Coast – Zachary Beeck (East Perth)
42. Kangaroos – Clinton Alleway (Box Hill Hawks)
43. Melbourne – Ezra Poyas (Richmond)
44. Essendon – Adrian Wilson (Central Districts)
45. Adelaide – Aidan Parker (Subiaco)
46. Port Adelaide – Pass
47. Collingwood – Tom Hooker (Oakleigh Chargers)
48. Brisbane – Pass

Round Four:

49. Carlton – Tom Hedge (Mitcham)
50. Richmond – Pass
51. Fremantle – Steven Dodd (East Fremantle)
52. Western Bulldogs – Pass
53. Sydney – Pass
54. Hawthorn – George Davies (Sturt)
55. Kangaroos – Nick Gill (Melbourne)
56. Melbourne – Nathan Carroll (Claremont)
57. Essendon – Toby McGrath (West Coast)
58. Adelaide – Michael Bratton (Norwood)
59. Port Adelaide – Pass
60. Collingwood – Steven Eichner (Port Adelaide Magpies)
61. Brisbane – Pass

Round Five:
62. Carlton - Michael Stinear (Dandenong Stingrays)
63. Richmond – Pass
64. Sydney – Paul Bevan (NSW/ACT Rams)
65. Melbourne – Michael Clark (Melbourne)
66. Port Adelaide – Pass
67. Brisbane – Pass

Round Six:
68. Carlton – Sean O’Keefe – Carlton
69. Sydney – Ryan Crawford – Calder Cannons
70. Brisbane – Joel Macdonald – Mt Gravatt

Round Seven:
71. Sydney – James Meiklejohn (NSW/ACT Rams)
72. Brisbane – Paul Shelton (Morningside)

Round Eight:
73. Sydney – Declan O’Mahony (Ireland)
74. Brisbane – Luke Weller (Brisbane Lions Rookie)

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
I'm fairly pleased we got Moore. I have a friend who's seen a fair bit of him and reckons he is excellent and the reason we snapped him up was the expected demand despite a low profile. He's spewing the saints didn't get him. I hope he's right. He's usually right on the money!

londontiger

The New RFC Cheersquad Chant.
Dec 17, 2002
London , United Kingdon
Lets just start off to say that I am happy that we passed on the first pick of the Slim Pickings draft.

There was no talent apart from Powell. We know that.

If anyone thinks Bolton is going to be a great player , then you have been drinking too much egg nog.

Bolton left Brisbane not just because he couldn't get a game. Bolton left because he couldn't get any money.

Brisbane are playing with the smallest list in the AFL, and they get the most salary cap relief.

Gee the AFL got that one right..

I ask you to consider if you were a footballer that could not make it in the seniors, I would want to play for a club that played in a decent reserves structure.

Brisbane reserves play in the AFLQ. Not the real pace of the VFL is it...

If a player played well in the VFL reserves, then that would at least make some other clubs look up and take notice.

So Bolton nominates in the draft for a two year contract. And goes to Sydney...

Sydney Reserves?

I remind you of this news.

15th November 2002
The AFL Canberra Board and the seven existing clubs, on Wednesday night, supported the Sydney Swans proposal, which will see the Swans reserves playing regular games in Canberra, Wagga Wagga and Sydney. This move follows the Swans withdrawal from their association with VFL Club Port Melbourne.

Fantastic, he can catch up with his family in Canberra when he is playing in the reserves. No wonder he put a price on his head.

I say well done to Syndey for paying for an overrated player who reads like this on the sydney website

ABOUT
A fourth-year utility/defender who has been a fringe player over the past two seasons and will look to consolidate a senior berth in 2002. Was in and out of the senior side last year and then, just when he was looking settled, was forced out by a knee injury. Was a standout in the reserves AFLQ premiership side and is renowned for his work ethic and 'coachability'.

And this was mentioned on the Swans website

Richmond football manager Greg Hutchison said the Tigers were disappointed not to be able to secure Bolton but simply couldn’t fit him in under the salary cap.

“We had enough room to take a player at the minimum payment but there wasn’t a player out there that we were interested in enough to put on our list,” Hutchison said.

“He (Bolton) put $80,000 on his head so we wouldn’t have been able to fit him in.”

“He’s a good player and he would have helped us but our information from Ken Wood (the AFL’s investigations officer) was we could only take a player at the minimum wage and because Bolton had put a figure on his head we just couldn’t take him.”

But the Tigers’ loss was Sydney’s gain and Swans’ recruiting manager Ricky Barham was looking forward to having Bolton, who has been training with the club, on board.

“You never knew what they (Richmond) were going to but we were quietly confident we would get him,” Barham said of Bolton.

“From a playing perspective he fits an area we needed to fill up and we targeted him fairly early so we are happy with that.”

“Brisbane is a hard unit to break into and he’s been stiff for a couple of years so I think he will be happy too and Sydney is a bit closer to his home in Canberra.”

Barham said the Swans were more than happy to meet Bolton’s financial demands and believe he will be able to play a variety of roles for the Swans in 2003.

Now in terms of the Rookie Draft, again the Tigers showed some suprises.

I certainly thought Shir was draft material, and so we took him in the Second round.

As far as Kelvin Moore is concerned, well that was kept under raps, and hey, who knows...

Adam Pickering? Well the Pickerings and Richmond go hand in hand, in the reserves at least.

So all in all, Richmond by drafting players like Fleming and Nicholls owe us one bloody good season. By not drafting youth, Richmond management must think we have a list that will compete for the next 2 years.

Otherwise I will be calling for Becks replacement, as well as promising myself not to book another flight home for another finals series we may not make.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
So all in all, Richmond by drafting players like Fleming and Nicholls owe us one bloody good season. By not drafting youth, Richmond management must think we have a list that will compete for the next 2 years.

Or. The tigers simply didnt think that there was anyone available that would have had much of a future.

It will be interesting to watch the careers of some of the players we passed over but others picked up to see if Beck etc got it right or very very wrong.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Londontiger, very good analysis of Bolton. As I have posted previously, a good friend is a Lions fan and rates Bolton right along side David Calthorp as being a huge CAT. In his appriasal, Bolton is 188cm, 88kg of petrified manhood. QAFL is equivalent to A Grade amo's in Melbourne - no great effort to be a stand out in their cubs side.

The tigers have enough guys who "run wide" we don't need another...

Still think that Steinfort would have been worth a punt on a one year minimum contract.

A

admin

Oi!    What's with pinching me picture???????? :eek:
Haha Julz, here's hoping Rampaging_Richo will post heaps throughout the year so you'll get to see lots of Richo.
Would think you'd be happy about that. :cheekysanta

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Didn't mean to cause offence RR - just confused me at first cause I didn't remember writing what you wrote (I'm still confused!!! - must be the heat)

Anyway what about this:

:-/ :'(

:froarssanta ;) ;)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Looks like Julz is making a late run for 2003 president ;D.

Watch out froars and TG ;).