Rookie Promotion. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rookie Promotion.

A

admin

Does anyone know the rookie promotion rules?
I thought there had to be a long term injury, but in The Age today it says that North, Geelong and Hawthorn have all promoted rookies this week to fill vacant spots.
The Hawks have also temporarily promoted one rookie.
Looks like the injury rule for promotion was only if the list was full.
This is a great chance for our rookies to really force a spot this year then seeing we have a reduced list.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Rosy, I think that the following has to be fulfilled;

* A player goes onto the long term injury list whilst receiving contract payments, but not match payments, although they will get something if they are injured as a firsts player. Long term I think is 10 weeks +
* Their has to be enough room in the cap in which to fit the incoming rookie on base contract plus match payments. The AFL has to ratify it first. I believe that they base the calculations on the rookie coming in and playing every game in the ones.
* From my club contact, the TPP is chock a block, so a rookie this year is unlikely, unless it a player like Biddiscombe who is on good money, but will never play in the ones who gets injured playing for Coburg and is out for the whole year. (May have been wishing out load) ;D ;D

A

admin

Thanks RR. I thought that about the rookie list too, but this article didn't mention injuries being the reason rookies had been promoted.

Roos promote rookie Clayton
By Emma Quayle
March 19 2003

After a four-goal haul in front of his home-town crowd at Ballarat last Saturday, Kangaroo rookie Jeremy Clayton has been promoted to the club's senior list for this season.

The Roos, who had one spare spot on their list, had to choose between Clayton and defender Michael Firrito.

Geelong added second-year rookie Will Slade to its senior list, while Hawthorn promoted Nick Stone and Ben Kane. The Hawks have also temporarily promoted Tim Hazell.

Kangaroos football manager Tim Harrington said the choice between Clayton and Firrito was made more difficult because both had played well in the Roos' final practice match.

"We just felt that Jeremy, being slightly older with more senior experience, was probably more equipped and ready to play AFL senior footy straight away," he said.

I realise it's still subject to the salary cap of course. All very confusing.

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
... unless it a player like Biddiscombe who is on good money, but will never play in the ones who gets injured playing for Coburg and is out for the whole year. (May have been wishing out load) ;D ;D

Does anyone have Tonia (sp) Harding's phone number???

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Rosy, Clubs can go in short on their list, and have 3-4 rookies. This allows a club to have a real good look at these kids playing in a senior environment, training within the club, dealing with injuries, general attitude etc.... all the things that are unknown factors when drafting kids from the TAC Cup.

From memory, this is same way we got Greg Tivendale on the list in 1998.

IMO, this is a great way to get a good kid into the club without to much risk.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
How does he keep playing ?. You think by now soemone would have lined up someone in the VFL to "rub him out"

Khan

p.s Bidders that is