Round 1 Ticketing and Other Discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 Ticketing and Other Discussion

Feb 25, 2007
They are doing pretty well at mobiling their supporters in the last couple of years. Kinda like us, before we had anything to show for it on the field. They have as many supporters as we do, we're just closer to maxing out our conversion of supporters to members.

Carlton is part of the big 4 but I dont think they have as many supporters as us, pies and Ess. Remember 2013 EF we dwarfed them bigtime in crowd support as we did pies supporters in 2018 PF

But I will say Carlton is capable of big numbers if success comes. They could come out of the woodworks.
Pies have maxed out in the '80s. Bombers I think too can top 90K+ if they get their act together.

Richmond could keep going higher if It wasn't for covid, would've been aiming for 110K+ this year as we had 103,500 in 2019

On a side note; Richmond is the only club to TWICE have 90K+ crowds in finals "4 times in a row", At present, we are 9 straight in finals for 90K+ crowds in a row.
Rich V Carl, North, Cats, GWS, Crows, Hawks, Pies, Cats & GWS
Im not sure if any other club has even had 4 in a row, i had read in late 2019 on the main board on bigfooty that the only other clubs were Saints 'done it once' and Pies once but i can’t see where as Pies in 2010 did it 3 times with the help of the replay., also looked previous year 2009 and in 2011

We are an absolute juggernaut. We knew once the success came, we would overtake everyone. We have the highest gross turnover in the AFL of any club (eagles make the most money = profit) Only Eagles & hawks have more money than us in the bank. We were on target to overtake the hawks in that dept but we got hit hard with Aligned Leisure due to covid lockdowns.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Interesting that Carlton is up 7% on last year's total membership while Richmond is down 17%. Even after a premiership, people are cagey about paying for a service they don't look like getting.
I don't buy the 17% drop, our tally is on a tab on the "Membership" website, it's listed as 83,844 currently. #GoTiges!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Carlton is part of the big 4 but I dont think they have as many supporters as us, pies and Ess. Remember 2013 EF we dwarfed them bigtime in crowd support as we did pies supporters in 2018 PF
Well they haven't won a flag for 26 years. That assertion is based on figures over a long period, their crowds are very comparable to ours when they're doing well on the field. I've always said it's Collingwood, Essendon, then Carlton and Richmond interchangeable in 3rd depending on current success, all other things being equal.

Obviously we're #1 for support right now as the dominant team. Will be interesting to see the long-term effects of Essendon's finals win drought and drugs disgrace.

Reverse Centaur

Tiger Cub
Aug 10, 2020
They are doing pretty well at mobiling their supporters in the last couple of years. Kinda like us, before we had anything to show for it on the field. They have as many supporters as we do, we're just closer to maxing out our conversion of supporters to members.

The Cain Liddle effect.

Reactions: 1 user

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
Reading between the lines in various articles, it seems the reasoning behind it is fear of contact tracing being overwhelmed. An outbreak in a crowd of 100K would produce exponentially more contacts to follow up than a crowd of 50K. It makes sense but I'm not sure why they can't spell it out. (I emailed the AFL about it and didn't receive a response.)
I reckon the AFL would want full capacity - no point emailing them. It's the CHO's advice that is restricting crowd numbers.

I'm confused as to how zero can grow exponentially? So 50K or 100K at the ground shouldn't matter. That's for another thread.

Anyway, assuming nobody stuffs up, in 2 and a bit weeks, I'll be watching football. Live, I hope.

Feb 25, 2007
MCC tickets go on sale on Monday 15 March 2021 at 9:00am.

I spoke to the AFL a few days back and i got the impression that they wil wait until the week of the game to put tickets on sale for AFL members.
Gill trying to have the 50% capacity increased if no furhter cases in the next week or so, that would make it 2 weeks with no cases and surely Vic Gov would allow an increase possibly to 75% which would be awesome, the more the merrier in the G is what we all want. Anyway, we'll wait and see what transpires.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I spoke to the AFL a few days back and i got the impression that they wil wait until the week of the game to put tickets on sale for AFL members.
Gill trying to have the 50% capacity increased if no furhter cases in the next week or so, that would make it 2 weeks with no cases and surely Vic Gov would allow an increase possibly to 75% which would be awesome, the more the merrier in the G is what we all want. Anyway, we'll wait and see what transpires.

I have already made the point about this. anyone who think there is a change R1 could increase to 75,000 is absolutely dreaming. Perhaps by June when a large part of the population has been vaccinated.

Feb 25, 2007
FOR AFL GOLD & SILVER MEMBERS

Under reduced capacity crowds and given contact tracing requirements for all members, there will be no walk up General Admission access available during the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season at either the MCG or Marvel Stadium until further notice.

Members will still be sent their 2021 AFL Membership cards but please note that these cards cannot be scanned for entry into the venue.

Members will be required to upgrade to a reserved seat for each match, on a round by round basis, via the respective ticketing agent using their 2021 AFL Membership barcode(s). This includes tickets for any children over 12 months and under the age of 6, for capacity and contact tracing purposes.

Whilst we enter this period of uncertainty with reduced capacities and the requirement for AFL Members to upgrade to a reserved seat to attend a match, AFL Membership have negotiated there will be no cost involved to upgrade to a reserved seat at MCG and Marvel Stadium, along with no transaction or ticketing agent fees.

The complimentary reserved seat upgrades will be in place whilst capacities are restricted and can be redeemed via respective ticket agents using their 2021 AFL Membership barcode.

As announced on Friday February 26, we’re thrilled to have 50% crowds at matches at the MCG and Marvel Stadium confirmed for the commencement of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

To ensure we provide members fair and equitable access to see their team play this year, at crowd capacities below 75% below during the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season we will be prioritising access for competing Club of Support members.

Members of the two competing teams will receive priority access to seating for their Clubs’ matches, prior to any remaining inventory going on sale to AFL Members of non-competing clubs.

We understand this is a significant change to access for AFL Members, however given the unique circumstances we are faced with in 2021, we are prioritizing members being able to see their team play as often as possible.

More information on the AFL Reserve for both stadiums and the on-sale structure for members can be found at here.

Under reduced capacities in order to maximize member attendance opportunities and navigate any unforeseen changes, we will be undertaking regular member ‘on-sales.’ During these on-sale periods, members can redeem their seats for the selected matches free of charge.

Tickets for Round 1 at both the MCG and Marvel Stadium will be available for AFL Members on Tuesday March 16 at the following times;
10am, Tuesday March 16 - AFL Gold and Silver members with Competing Club of Support
11am, Tuesday March 16 - All remaining AFL Members

We anticipate that these ticket redemption periods will take place weekly and will be during the week of the upcoming match.

Additional information relating to Round 1 on-sales, and future on-sales, will be communicated in the coming days.

Due to Covid-19 compliance at both MCG and Marvel Stadium, all AFL Member ticketing will be mobile this season. Once tickets have been redeemed from either ticketing agent, you will be able to access these tickets by logging on to either agents' website.

Please see links below from both Ticketek (MCG) and Ticketmaster (Marvel Stadium) regarding their mobile ticketing processes.

Ticketek (MCG)

Mobile Ticket Info Guide

Fast, Contactless Entry to MCG

Ticket Sharing Info Guide

Ticketmaster

What is Mobile Delivery?

Mobile Ticket

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
As an AFL with a Richmond club support I can’t complain with that outcome

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007

But I will say Carlton is capable of big numbers if success comes. They could come out of the woodworks.
Make no mistake the Blues have a massive fan base. But historically, even in good times, have struggled to convert that popularity to paid up members.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
As an AFL with a Richmond club support I can’t complain with that outcome
Agree best outcome, however I still only give us a 50% chance of getting tickets. With capacity at 11k in AFL members and Rich/ Carl having probably at least 20k AFL members it’s going to be pot luck.

Feb 25, 2007
Agree best outcome, however I still only give us a 50% chance of getting tickets. With capacity at 11k in AFL members and Rich/ Carl having probably at least 20k AFL members it’s going to be pot luck.

Rich/Carl combined AFL membership is about 14K (there is always a few thousand who cant go for whatever reason.) So, Id say the majority of members will get a ticket.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users