Round 15 - the other games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 15 - the other games

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Ironic how all the cats players were getting into him and yet they practice diving at training and execute with perfection on game days!!!
True. They didn't mind see Clangerfield stage for a few.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I rarely watch games that aren't Richmond games but I watched the first 3 quarters last night. The thing that struck me is that Brisbane beat Geelong the way we beat them when we are up and running. The cats had more of the ball and still got smashed.
The key for Brisbane is can they do it away from the Gabba ?

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
54 free kicks all up for the game. That must be close to a record.
Maybe not but that is a hell of a lot of frees in one game.
At least it was evenly spread 26 to 28.
Not like our games where we get reamed.
I only watched the second quarter and the frequency of frees being paid was shitfull. There were plenty they could have left. How is it they appear to umpire well in finals compared to hone and away? I’d be happy with less frees if it was umpired consistently across both teams.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I only watched the second quarter and the frequency of frees being paid was shitfull. There were plenty they could have left. How is it they appear to umpire well in finals compared to hone and away? I’d be happy with less frees if it was umpired consistently across both teams.
37 in one half is unbelievable

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Scotts great coaching was on display last night.
Geelong lost on purpose
To keep us away from the top 4.
They have Brisbane Port Footscary and Melbourne covered.
They know we are there biggest threat.
We are 2.5 games off top 4.
No fken chance now considering ports and Brisbane's run home

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Brisbane are very solid outfit, hard at it, skillful and will be up there in September. They've got alot of hard bodies that win contested ball. They like it slow and methodical. Geelong are not too dissimilar.

If we play slow precise football we won't beat these teams. Melbourne also. Bulldogs are a different beast and slowing things down against them can work. Not against the other challengers.

In order to win this years flag we MUST find the key to unlock our running game. we need to find our running in waves, overlap and forward handballing game. Melbourne exposed Brisbane with this style but we've proven we are the kings of the fast spread.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Brisbane games are always over umpired.
You have *smile* knuckles like Zorko, Neale, Cameron and Now Danihiar playing for free kicks and the potatoe heads in the crowd calling for out at everything.
Its impossible to umpire.
We have been shafted the last 2 games against them

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Brisbane are very solid outfit, hard at it, skillful and will be up there in September. They've got alot of hard bodies that win contested ball. They like it slow and methodical. Geelong are not too dissimilar.

If we play slow precise football we won't beat these teams. Melbourne also. Bulldogs are a different beast and slowing things down against them can work. Not against the other challengers.

In order to win this years flag we MUST find the key to unlock our running game. we need to find our running in waves, overlap and forward handballing game. Melbourne exposed Brisbane with this style but we've proven we are the kings of the fast spread.
Harry outside QLD they are Carlton

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I have no problem with paying more free kicks as we have seen the alternative - pay some, don't pay others, and it is a farce.

DS
I don’t see why umpires need to impose themselves when a game gets a bit niggly, Paying every soft free they can . Just umpire as you normally would.

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Geelong lost on purpose
There’s an old saying Zips ‘never flirt with form’. Of all teams, the Handbaggers should be following this motto.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Geelong lost on purpose
So Geelong sacrifice a top 4 spot so we don't make top 4?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don’t see why umpires need to impose themselves when a game gets a bit niggly, Paying every soft free they can . Just umpire as you normally would.

So, how is the umpire to decide which indiscretions are to be ignored?

If you want consistent umpiring then pay every free which you see, otherwise you will get inconsistency, guaranteed.

I have been sick this week and watched the 1974 Grand Final (71 free kicks), the protection of the player attempting to gain possession of the ball was fantastic to watch. Player runs at the ball, opponent grabs them, free kick. What this actually meant was that the player trying to gain possession of the ball could do so because they weren't being held or pushed while not in possession, as they are all the time these days. Ball gets tied up in a pack, the pack has barely formed before the umpire is bouncing the ball - way way way way less of a rolling maul because the free kicks and very quick ball ups meant that the rolling maul could not form. The game flowed so much better than it does now because the ball moved a lot quicker with less congestion. Yes, there are plenty of other differences between football 50 years ago and now, but all the hanging around waiting for the ball to come out of packs, the way players cannot get possession of the ball because they are being tackled and pushed in the back before they even get to the ball is a recipe for congestion.

You want to stop the rolling maul - pay the free kicks which are there.

You want consistent umpiring - pay all the free kicks, no picking and choosing.

The number of free kicks will reduce as players adjust their behaviour, they will adjust very quickly.

Maybe I'm wrong about this but, hey, the current solution is clearly a dismal failure.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

If you want consistent umpiring then pay every free which you see, otherwise you will get inconsistency, guaranteed.

I have been sick this week and watched the 1974 Grand Final (71 free kicks), the protection of the player attempting to gain possession of the ball was fantastic to watch. Player runs at the ball, opponent grabs them, free kick. What this actually meant was that the player trying to gain possession of the ball could do so because they weren't being held or pushed while not in possession, as they are all the time these days. Ball gets tied up in a pack, the pack has barely formed before the umpire is bouncing the ball - way way way way less of a rolling maul because the free kicks and very quick ball ups meant that the rolling maul could not form. The game flowed so much better than it does now because the ball moved a lot quicker with less congestion. Yes, there are plenty of other differences between football 50 years ago and now, but all the hanging around waiting for the ball to come out of packs, the way players cannot get possession of the ball because they are being tackled and pushed in the back before they even get to the ball is a recipe for congestion.

The number of free kicks will reduce as players adjust their behaviour, they will adjust very quickly.

Maybe I'm wrong about this but, hey, the current solution is clearly a dismal failure.

DS
So how come the umpiring is so different in finals DS?

And simplifying the rules would go a significant way to simplifying the job of the ump.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So how come the umpiring is so different in finals DS?

And simplifying the rules would go a significant way to simplifying the job of the ump.

I have absolutely no idea why they umpire finals differently.

But, I would say that strengthens what I'm saying. The rules don't change for the finals, how come the umpiring does?

Gross inconsistencies in umpiring because they are instructed to pick and choose which indiscretions they penalise so they can meet some absurd target of reducing free kicks, a recipe for the very inconsistency we see every week, and we see it in finals too.

Plus, look at the result: a rolling maul of a game which they are constantly trying to fix. Gee, that worked :rolleyes:

DS

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I have absolutely no idea why they umpire finals differently.

But, I would say that strengthens what I'm saying. The rules don't change for the finals, how come the umpiring does?

Gross inconsistencies in umpiring because they are instructed to pick and choose which indiscretions they penalise so they can meet some absurd target of reducing free kicks, a recipe for the very inconsistency we see every week, and we see it in finals too.

Plus, look at the result: a rolling maul of a game which they are constantly trying to fix. Gee, that worked :rolleyes:

DS
That's the million dollar question. Argument is usually that the better umpires umpire finals but they also do it for the other 22 rounds.

There is a clear change in mindset. Just not sure why it cant happen in every game.

I'd be happy if ticky touchwood frees weren't paid and it was applied consistently - which is what appears to happen in finals.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
There’s an old saying Zips ‘never flirt with form’. Of all teams, the Handbaggers should be following this motto.
Looking deep into there team
They're mixed 2 or 3 quality players, Cameron Hawkins and Blivass, but have front runners in Smith and Rohan and some king sized duds like Dalhouse he is shitt Higgins is finished and not sure Henderson can replace Taylor.
But they will beat Brisbane Footscary and Port in the finals.
They won't beat us.
They lost on purpose

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Geeelong panic under pressure.
It reminded me of the second half of last years grand final. Any hint pressure coming and Geeelong players started to fumble and turn the ball over.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
So Geelong sacrifice a top 4 spot so we don't make top 4?
They want us no Where near a double chance.
Geelong have 5 buys in a row thanks to Brother Hocking.
The ladder will be
Melb
Brisbane
Footscary
Geelong
Port
Wc
Us
GwS.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That's the million dollar question. Argument is usually that the better umpires umpire finals but they also do it for the other 22 rounds.

There is a clear change in mindset. Just not sure why it cant happen in every game.

I'd be happy if ticky touchwood frees weren't paid and it was applied consistently - which is what appears to happen in finals.

Yeah, I just don't trust that the maggots can actually define tiggy touchwood on a consistent basis.

The rules were simpler back in the day and the game flowed better and the umpiring, though oft criticised, was nowhere near as inconsistent as it is now.

Did I mention it wasn't rolling maul before the AFL decided that we should somehow, as if by magic, have less free kicks awarded each game?

DS

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021

DS
well , clearly you're not cut out to be an umpire at the highest level ;)