Round 2 - Other Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 2 - Other Games

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Even though karma bit Fyfe on the arse for all the sniping he's done, reckon Reid will get 2 weeks.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Fyfe is a bit of an unusual one as the bump is almost incidental. Fyfe clearly had no idea what happened, they showed him reviewing the footage on the bench and his surprise was genuine. Reckon Reid's in trouble as it wasn't accidental enough. Also his feet look to be off the ground at the point of contact.

Wasn't malicious but I don't think the AFL can afford to let this one slide as it sets a precedent for similar grey-area incidents that might be a little less accidental. They're either protecting the head or they're not.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not form the vision I've seen. Pretty clear Fyfe isn't planning some snipe attack. Reid doesn't really line him up but he dips into him with his shoulder and collects his head. Not sure how he doesn't get suspended.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/b3d80beaa15a66817bc72256c05669da

Very different to Dangerfield. Fyfe ran towards Reid but Reid was also moving and clearly braced for contact. Did Fyfe run into Reid? Difficult to determine but certainly not clear as Reid was moving forward towards where the ball was. But Fyfe ran side on into Reid so must take some of the blame for the incident. "Not accidental enough" is a good summary L2R2R, but I suspect Reid will get a suspension if the head (except Vlastuin's) is sacrosanct.

Not like Fyfe hasn't thrown a stray elbow before.

DS

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Not form the vision I've seen. Pretty clear Fyfe isn't planning some snipe attack. Reid doesn't really line him up but he dips into him with his shoulder and collects his head. Not sure how he doesn't get suspended.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/b3d80beaa15a66817bc72256c05669da
The video clearly shows Fyfe heading directly towards Reid and not looking at the ball which is at 90 degrees to the direction he is moving. If he was moving towards the ball it would be a different matter but his eyes were clearly on Reid.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Reid could have avoided collecting fyfe in the head and clearly took full advantage of the opportunity to do some damage, even though fyfe was running towards him. It wasn't just a brace for contact - he put some force into it. Collected him in the head so has to serve weeks if we want to get serious about head knocks. If not then just continue as we have been.

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
It appears tome that both blokes are looking at the ball at the time of the collision, imo definitely unintentional contact & just part of the game. If Ried gets nailed for that our game is stuffed.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It appears tome that both blokes are looking at the ball at the time of the collision, imo definitely unintentional contact & just part of the game. If Ried gets nailed for that our game is stuffed.
imo appears Reid knows what he's doing. Didn't have to raise the shoulder.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
imo appears Reid knows what he's doing. Didn't have to raise the shoulder.
Looking at it again Reid was actually pushed, by a Fremantle player, into Fyfe.
He may have raised a shoulder but when a known sniper is coming hard at you what would you do?
Whatever the outcome he surely should not get anywhere near Floggerfield's 3 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
yeah, that's how I saw it - both of them were looking at the ball

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Reid is running towards the ball, Fyfe is running slightly away from the ball.
Fyfe is moving faster than the person who hits him.
Reid is pushed.
Reid's feet are touching the ground at the moment of impact.

Play on.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
IMO GWS should appeal. 1 week max.
It's a collision sport FFS surely you're allowed to brace. This was very different to the Dangerfield one where he was the catapult.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Looked to me like Reid meant it. Reid is 188cm, Fyfe 192, yet Reid's shoulder hit Fyfe's head.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Mr. Christian has decided that Reid did not simply brace for incoming contact, but elected to bump. Two weeks your honor.
Not sure either way on this one, haven't seen enough footage of the bump, looked fifty - fifty from what I've seen. Jabbies dad somehow reckons it was worthy of at least the same as the Clench hit, but then again Jabbies dad is a *smile*.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Well stuff me, Christian is up to his usual inconsistent best. Dangerfield jumps off the ground & hits a bloke with his forearm & "it's all in play" Sniper Fyfe stumbles into Rieds shoulder & Ried gets weeks for it.

The game's stuffed.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Well I am going against the grain here. I reckon Christian got the interpretation right, but two weeks is too light.

Reid knew exactly what he was doing, tried to make it look innocent, and got him in the head. I would suggest deliberately, although that is probably going a little to far on the evidence. I agree with Watson, 4 weeks for mine.

Dangerfield can at least argue the ball was in play between himself and Kelly. That is up until just before contact the ball was between himself and the opposition player. Same as the Vlastuin hit. That said I thought both clearly deserved to earn Dangerfield a 3-4 week rest. Dangerfield was incredibly lucky for mine with the Vlas one.

Despite the fact that the ball was nearby, Fyfe was in no position to get the ball or even influence the play at the time he got hit. He had not idea Reid was there as he was focused on the footy. He cops a whack to the head, and he was concussed by it.

And the suggestion Reid was pushed in to it by the Dockers player is farcical. Watch it in slow motion if you can, he barely touches him at all.

The question we need to consider is this. What if that was a Tiger getting hit by Reid. We'd bay for his blood. And if it was a Tiger dishing one out like that, I reckon the majority of us would think 'gee mate, you are in trouble here'.