Round 5, 1983 v Footscray | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 5, 1983 v Footscray

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Round 5, 1983 against Footscray at the G - must have been some game.
Coming off a Grand Final loss in 1982, we were 0-4 and second bottom only by virtue of the Aints who had had a 129-point mauling by the 'orrible 'awks.
Footscray were 3-1 and sitting in sixth.
At quarter time, we were behind by the small matter of 0.3(3) to 10.3(63).
Ended up losing by two points.
Credit to a side in those circumstances just not giving up.
Does anyone have any memories of that game?

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1983/071419830425.html

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Found some videos on youtube.
Highlights from the whole game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YRtqtpWlcA
Last quarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5knRKqmOo

We were never going to win.
When the siren went, we were eight points down and Mervyn Keane had the ball almost 60 out, I doubt he was even trying to kick the goal but he did.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
I cant remember the game but was there as I have the footy record at home.

There is some Youtube vision here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YRtqtpWlcA I believe we may have even hit the front during the last qtr?

Interestingly, late the year before in 1982 we trailed the Swans by 8 goals to nothing at qtr time and came back and won.

Edit...just saw your YouTube links 23.21.159 and the last qtr highlights show we did momentarily hit the front in the last qtr.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
hey 21, yep I was there. Remember goal after goal in the first Q, absolute flawless footy from them, remember Edmond strutting around. He was brilliant. Then we pegged em back bit by bit, tigers fans getting more and more into it, but just fell short. Also remember not being too upset because of the fightback, and also because we visited Dad's best mate (who is a tiger) brother in the cancer ward after the game. He was a mad Doggie.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah i was at that game as a young fella. Remember the overall game but not individual efforts and such.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I can't remember that game mainly because after just turning 16 in late 1982 and losing that GF in front of my eyes, watching us drop badly in early 1983 made my head spin and travel to another world (i.e. depressed). I have amnesia of the 1983 - 1986 seasons. Just couldn't believe this was the same club from 1980 - 1982.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Coming off a Grand Final loss in 1982, we were 0-4 and second bottom only by virtue of the Aints who had had a 129-point mauling by the 'orrible 'awks.

I was listening to this game on radio while picking up prunings with my brothersd (great winter job on an orchard, rows and rows of trees with little sticks under them).

I remember there being a massive wind going to one end and us having a massive second quarter that stemmed the lead or most of it.

I can remember another game in the mid 80's in the wet where we'd held Geelong t o5 or 6 goals to 3qtr time (a small score in those days for that stage of the game). We were a couple up and then they came out and kicked 11 in the last term and flogged us. I think the game was at Waverley

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

I think I was at this game, remember that quarter time scoreline... although I remembered it as being against Fitzroy... If it was the same game it was a grey day that got pretty dark. Think Geoff Raines took mark of the day on the fat side of the ground just inside the centre square late in the game. Just didn't get over the line though.

EDIT nah, wasn't the game I remember, too sunny going by the youtube footage. Can anyone remember a game against Fitzroy 1982/3 with that sort of scoreline? Maybe we kicked out to a big quarter time lead instead of them... Old age eh...

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
In 1981 the first time we played Fitzroy we were 28 points up at half time and got done.
Oh found it... 1981, we were up 7 goals to 0 against the RoyBoys at quarter time but ended up losing by a point.

Some footage here
Similar thing happened the first time we played the Roys....28 points up at half time only to lose by 4.
Finished a game and % behind the 5th placed Lions that year.

Also interestingly, against the Bombers that season in round 3 we were 26 points behind them at 3/4 time and got up to win by 4.
Then in round 13 we were 26 points ahead at 3/4 time and lost by 4!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
1982-83 in the space of 6 months we went from being the best most dominant side which dropped the ball against the Blues in the GF to a rabble.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
1982-83 in the space of 6 months we went from being the best most dominant side which dropped the ball against the Blues in the GF to a rabble.
Yep, losing Cloke, Raines and Wood will do that. What’s the equivalent for today’s side? Jack, Dusty and I dunno, Lambert?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Also interestingly, against the Bombers that season in round 3 we were 26 points behind them at 3/4 time and got up to win by 4.
Then in round 13 we were 26 points ahead at 3/4 time and lost by 4!

I remember that like it was yesterday. I was at the round 3 game at the G with my Dad and witnessed the magnificent comeback from 26 points down at 3/4 time to win by 4 points. I wasn't at the return game at Windy Hill but listened on the radio with Dad whilst we did some work in the back yard. I distinctly remember thinking how strange it was that the 3/4 time margin was the exact reverse of the first game. And then the final result was also the exact reverse!!

Bloody spewing. After being a dominant premiership team the year before we missed the finals by a game and % with a 13-9 record.