Russia banned from all major sporting events | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Russia banned from all major sporting events

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wada have rubbed them out for 4 years, they won't be able to compete in the Summer and Winter Olympics as well as the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
They have 21 days to appeal the decision.
About time they had their wings clipped.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Wada have rubbed them out for 4 years, they won't be able to compete in the Summer and Winter Olympics as well as the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Double thumbs Tigerman.
Hate cheats.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Watch Trump threaten to withdraw US Teams and ban US Media companies from bidding for rights unless they let the Russians back in

• Haha

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Rub their golds from the records as well. Take a few off each of the eastern block countries, the yanks and all the chinese swimming ones too.
Probably throw in a few of ours as well.......
The Olympics has totally lost its allure for me, blah blah boring.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
I agree. My only question is: How is China different?

I assume it is the systematic, state-sponsored aspect that led to the WADA decision. If so, I wonder what evidence is lacking in China's case.

I do feel sorry for the Russian athletes who are clean. Do we know if (say) the sailing team is free to compete?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I do feel sorry for the Russian athletes who are clean. Do we know if (say) the sailing team is free to compete?

It's my understanding that if they or any other Russian athletes can prove that they are clean they can compete, but not under the Russian flag.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Read the whistle blower said with technology they have now they should retest old samples from years ago.
Wonder if they can do that for the Essedrug samples too

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Great decision, good riddance. Havin said that Australian athletes should STFU about it because our record is not squeaky clean.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Apparently Russia is still able to compete in the 2020 US Elections

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
this announcement reminded me back to when I was in Russia for the world cup last year. I was in Samara catching an uber to the airport and having a chat to the local driver via google translate. we were having a conversation about how well Russia had been playing in the world cup. he said as a joke that they were probably on drugs. how right he was, eh?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
This is a massive story and a lesson for all those bummer fans and loudmouths who think they were dealt harshly by WADA and CAS.

systematic, planned, controlled doping by those in charge deserve the full penalty of a 4 year ban - this is what the bummers were facing and I still, to this day, still don’t understand why they only got the 1 year ban.

They somehow got away with only the 1 year - no wonder the club doesn’t want to go anywhere near an appeal.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It's my understanding that if they or any other Russian athletes can prove that they are clean they can compete, but not under the Russian flag.

Non-specific and trans-nation will get a few medals?

They should make them compete under the Ukraine flag.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Did we see Sun Yand got an 8 year ban....more power to you Mack Horton

Reactions: 1 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Just reading up on it. 1st person banned without a confirmed positive test since Michelle de Bruinn (I got in a few heated exchanges here over that one. I was blinded by my parochial need to defend an Irish sportsperson.)

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just reading up on it. 1st person banned without a confirmed positive test since Michelle de Bruinn (I got in a few heated exchanges here over that one. I was blinded by my parochial need to defend an Irish sportsperson.)
Hmmm, busted for tampering with a sample. Just like the Chinese swimmer Big Wang, probably not a promising look for Wee Willie at Wet Coke then.

Reactions: 1 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Actually we are crossing swords between WADA and ASADA. The Essendon 34 never recorded a positive either.

The Essendon 34 never played a better season than they did in 2012 either, well until the injuries hit late in the season.