Russia Invades Ukraine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Russia Invades Ukraine

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
there will be no withdrawal as they have the upperhand. What to do now?

Putin and his orcs intended to take Kyiv in three days - they've lost 300,000 troops, they are throwing convicted prisoners into the front line with no training, and we are nearly one year into the war.

By what logic do you think Putin has the upper hand? Putin miscalculated - his ownership of the Russian kleptocratic state he established is entering its endgame. Europe has largely stopped buying his oil and gas, and he doesn't have the infrastructure to switch to mass sales to China or Africa. Finland and Sweden have applied to join NATO and over the next decade or so Ukraine will also join as Russia's power weakens further. The satellite states - the 'Stans - are already exploring full independence.

Russia has failed, even if the war drags on for another year. And yes, the Ukrainian people have the right to decide if and when they negotiate a truce.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Putin and his orcs intended to take Kyiv in three days - they've lost 300,000 troops, they are throwing convicted prisoners into the front line with no training, and we are nearly one year into the war.

By what logic do you think Putin has the upper hand? Putin miscalculated - his ownership of the Russian kleptocratic state he established is entering its endgame. Europe has largely stopped buying his oil and gas, and he doesn't have the infrastructure to switch to mass sales to China or Africa. Finland and Sweden have applied to join NATO and over the next decade or so Ukraine will also join as Russia's power weakens further. The satellite states - the 'Stans - are already exploring full independence.

Russia has failed, even if the war drags on for another year. And yes, the Ukrainian people have the right to decide if and when they negotiate a truce.

Correct. This was an attempt to prove "Russian military might" to the ex-Soviet states and Europe. The point of this war was to show the Soviet states that they are better to stick with Russia. They have done nothing but result in the complete opposite of what they were aiming to do. They miscalculated and have lost pretty much every land gain that they achieved in the 1st few months of war, and as you say their desperation is now showing by throwing poorly armed and poorly trained to their deaths. There are reports of people committing suicide rather than heading back to war in Ukraine. As you say Finland and Sweden are joining NATO etc so they have weakened their hand and strengthened NATO at the same time. Its been a complete and uetter failure. To suggest that Russia have the upperhand is quite the stretch.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
when ukraine does this its a mistake and if was russia then its an act of aggression and war. I get it. ukraine is desperate to drag NATO more and more into this as it needs all the help it can get and by trying to trigger article 5 of the NATO treaty they crazily see that as in their favour

1 would be an offensive act - firing weapons to destroy civilian infrastructure (which by the way is a designated war crime)
The other is a defensive act - to destroy said missiles before they hit civilian infrastructure

Thats why 1 is regarded as a mistake and 1 is regarded as an act of aggression. Defensive acts are not regarded as aggression but it doesn't suit your rhetoric right?

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
thats just a comment in jest without thought or acknowledgement on what is and has actually occurred and occurring in Ukraine and Western Europe

As an assessment of you and your motives for being on this board, it's totally accurate.

adamski

Tiger Cub
Jan 30, 2023

"Putin and his orcs intended to take Kyiv in three days -"

thats your spin. Russia say they just wanted to blockage Kiev to prevent reinforcements moving to the east to where the russians had advanced.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
how should they have been handled? How is the war going now?
it would appear Ukraine put up way more resistance than anyone expected (other than the Ukrainians )

Russia has been accused of backing rebel forces in the east of Urkraine for a long time and it appears this wasn't doing
enough to stop Ukraine from getting "closer" to the west

In that youtube clip I posted the guy said Russia will never let Ukraine join the west and would destroy the place first.
And thats seems to be very close to what they are aiming to do , its being reported that all tall buildings and any infrastructure is literally being destroyed

Their intial aim might have been to oust the goverment and to shock Ukraine into being a Russian puppet state , now their aim to raise it to the ground , leave nothing of worth and keep areas of strategic importance ie (? east of the river and the Crimea peninsular) , yes a simplistic account

Russia has been at a point of no return for a long time , for what ever the reason (probably many) they appear to have committed many war crimes and its sounds like they have been well documented , meaning many of the top russian military won't be able to travel outside of Russia, Belarus and maybe Syria for life for fear of being nabbed and turned over to courts in Geneva and spending a life in jail

The dogs of war from within Russia have been barking they were too soft from Day 1 , similar people in the West were saying we and/or Ukraine should have been hitting targets inside Russia and going harder at them. The more moderates can see that approach would lead to someone pressing the big button sooner or later.

So the more moderates in the west have opted for sanctions and where they can confiscating russian wealth , but they have been hampered by Europes reliance on Russian energy. I don't know how have the sanctions and western companies withdrawing from Russia hit the Russian companies. I'd imagine there are people who will have lost jobs , Russian Vodka popular all around the world , instantly withdrawn from shelves. There must be pain , maybe a lack of food on the table is causing Russian Oligarchs to fall to their deaths ??? Iran has existed for a long time under a lot of western sanctions so who knows how that will end

What I do know is I'm grateful to be all the way down here in the southern hemisphere
There is a lot more to play out and I do fear it could get uglier

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

adamski

Tiger Cub
Jan 30, 2023
b
it would appear Ukraine put up way more resistance than anyone expected (other than the Ukrainians )

Russia has been accused of backing rebel forces in the east of Urkraine for a long time and it appears this wasn't doing
enough to stop Ukraine from getting "closer" to the west

In that youtube clip I posted the guy said Russia will never let Ukraine join the west and would destroy the place first.
And thats seems to be very close to what they are aiming to do , its being reported that all tall buildings and any infrastructure is literally being destroyed

Their intial aim might have been to oust the goverment and to shock Ukraine into being a Russian puppet state , now their aim to raise it to the ground , leave nothing of worth and keep areas of strategic importance ie (? east of the river and the Crimea peninsular) , yes a simplistic account

Russia has been at a point of no return for a long time , for what ever the reason (probably many) they appear to have committed many war crimes and its sounds like they have been well documented , meaning many of the top russian military won't be able to travel outside of Russia, Belarus and maybe Syria for life for fear of being nabbed and turned over to courts in Geneva and spending a life in jail

The dogs of war from within Russia have been barking they were too soft from Day 1 , similar people in the West were saying we and/or Ukraine should have been hitting targets inside Russia and going harder at them. The more moderates can see that approach would lead to someone pressing the big button sooner or later.

So the more moderates in the west have opted for sanctions and where they can confiscating russian wealth , but they have been hampered by Europes reliance on Russian energy. I don't know how have the sanctions and western companies withdrawing from Russia hit the Russian companies. I'd imagine there are people who will have lost jobs , Russian Vodka popular all around the world , instantly withdrawn from shelves. There must be pain , maybe a lack of food on the table is causing Russian Oligarchs to fall to their deaths ??? Iran has existed for a long time under a lot of western sanctions so who knows how that will end

What I do know is I'm grateful to be all the way down here in the southern hemisphere
There is a lot more to play out and I do fear it could get uglier
better to settle things with a truce. Otherwise the only way the collective west will "defeat" russia is by launching WW3. Who wants that?

NOT ME !!!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
b

better to settle things with a truce. Otherwise the only way the collective west will "defeat" russia is by launching WW3. Who wants that?

NOT ME !!!

Ukraine was invaded by Russia, it's up to the Ukrainians to decide the terms of any truce. It's their country and they are the ones risking their lives and dying for their country, not pro-Russian vatniks like you sitting in your comfy armchair somewhere.

adamski

Tiger Cub
Jan 30, 2023
Ukraine was invaded by Russia, it's up to the Ukrainians to decide the terms of any truce. It's their country and they are the ones risking their lives and dying for their country, not pro-Russian vatniks like you sitting in your comfy armchair somewhere.
Russia is making progress in the war and has the upper hand and Ukraine isnt in a position to be making strong demands. The more this goes on the more highly valuable agricultural land will be lost with the higher probability Ukraine ending up being a landlocked country with the Poles looking at re-taking Western Ukraine which they lost in WW2

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Russia is making progress in the war and has the upper hand and Ukraine isnt in a position to be making strong demands. The more this goes on the more highly valuable agricultural land will be lost with the higher probability Ukraine ending up being a landlocked country with the Poles looking at re-taking Western Ukraine which they lost in WW2

Progress?
Geez, I'd hate to see what a poor performance was. They have lost almost ALL of the land taken in the first few months of war and have resorted to a regime of terror and starvation. Their tactics of later have been about obliterating and raising cities to the ground, destroying all civilian infrastructure. This is not a method of warfare that should or has ever been accepted which is why so many are talking about war crimes.

Why would anyone agree a truce with an enemy that is deadset on wiping out the population on way or the other? They aren't destroying infrastructure but around terrorising the population.

It takes me back to the end of WW2. I'm a pom, but it certainly doesn't mean I'm not ashamed of some of the "acts of war" that were done to try and end the war. Not least the destruction of Dresden. In comparison to some of the things the Russians have been doing, it makes Dresden look like a picnic in the park.

BTW, if everything is going so rosy for Russia, how come Putin keeps sacking the Generals in charge of the war strategy and implementation of that strategy?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
seriously? We have to go back over old news?

So the Ukes try n shoot down a shitload of incoming Russian missiles and in the process accidentally lose a stray defensive rocket that killed a couple of Polish farmers n you're somehow trying to suggest that the Ukes are murdering arseholes for trying to defend themselves from invasion and decimation from one of the worlds military super powers???? Am I reading your suggestions right??