Russia Invades Ukraine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Russia Invades Ukraine

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
So the US is sending another 33B dollars to Ukraine while the homeless sleep under every bridge in the US. Yet this isn't a proxy war.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
So the US is sending another 33B dollars to Ukraine while the homeless sleep under every bridge in the US. Yet this isn't a proxy war.
Yeh, they should really be sending aid to Putin to help stop the Ukranian aggression and killing of russians

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

GIF by SB Nation

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Still can’t quite get my head around Russia invading Ukraine. So barbaric. Indefensible. And so out of step with civilized thinking or perhaps war always awaits us and periods of peace are just temporary hiatuses. Anyway, great posting Ant and mrposh.

Something light from Russia…

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Excellent (truly) thread here about what Putin might do on May 9th, - escalate, or declare a tactical victory. Also explains what a "Nazi" is in the Russian propaganda context (a Russian speaker who does not work for the glory of the motherland) and looks at the reasons why the Russiaphone cities in the east are actually more Ukrainian nationalist than even other parts of Ukraine. Highly recommended.

Reactions: 1 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Excellent (truly) thread here about what Putin might do on May 9th, - escalate, or declare a tactical victory. Also explains what a "Nazi" is in the Russian propaganda context (a Russian speaker who does not work for the glory of the motherland) and looks at the reasons why the Russiaphone cities in the east are actually more Ukrainian nationalist than even other parts of Ukraine. Highly recommended.

That was a great read. I didn't realise how complex the bunker system was beneath the steel works.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The Ukrainians must feel so abandoned by the world?

just about every atrocity against people who aren't black, is met with some on ground solidarity from someone.

all the Ukrainians are getting is shiploads of army surplus and hashtags

Putin seems to have the world bluffed?

he's had carte blanch in a fair few very antagonistic atrocities now

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
How would you spend the $33m to help the homeless?
Well if I may, I’ve slept under a few bridges in my younger days and I always found the ambience rustic at best, nesting and defecating pigeons an issue and the general lack of security quite unnerving. So I’d like to see that 30 mil for the homeless living under bridges spent on creating a home away from home motif, predatory bird kites and why not make each 'under bridge community' gated?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Ukrainians must feel so abandoned by the world?

just about every atrocity against people who aren't black, is met with some on ground solidarity from someone.

all the Ukrainians are getting is shiploads of army surplus and hashtags

Putin seems to have the world bluffed?

he's had carte blanch in a fair few very antagonistic atrocities now

not really EzyT, the US are sending another USD33 billion in aid and armaments and have already sent plenty, as have EU nations.

The tide is really turning against Putin now. Japan will stop using Russian oil and gas, going back to nuclear which is significant given events like Fukushima. Poland is supporting Ukraine with weapons and is hosting refugees. Europe is disengaging from oil and gas from Russia - will take time, but it will happen.

Even Khazakstan, long considered a satellite state of Russia has sent aid to Ukraine and has beefed up forces on the Russian border. Listened to an analyst on this today - every loss of equipment/men/money in Ukraine is having a negative effect on the control over the Russian hegemony of the ex Soviet states.

There are rumours of Putin having terminal "abodominal" cancer which would also explain why maybe he moved now - time is running out for the man regardless of this. Rumours of a security service coup against Putin are swirling in Moscow as well - that would be bad as they'd be equally as evil as Putin, but he's losing the support of the elites - the political elite, military and the oligarchs.

The Russian flagship the Moscva was sunk and it looks like they've lost a second frigate (Admiral Makarov) to Ukrainian Neptune missiles. The Ukranians have mobilised around 400K men and women who have had war-fighting experience in the Donbas, and the Russians are using poorly trained conscripts. They were buying RussoUkrainians with a 25,000 rouble sign on fee, and are forcibly conscripting Ukrainians in the occupied territories, so are forcing Ukrainians to fight Ukrainians. Not the way to win a war.

What could Russia do next? Mass mobilisation - ie conscription of Russian citizens. Throw even more resources. Go tactical nukes/biological/chemical weapons. Possible but unlikely, given it would make Russia a pariah state for decades.

Meanwhile Finland and Sweden will join NATO and are sending military aid to Ukraine. The mythical Red Lines and "realpolitik" excuse from Putin's apologists in the West is a farce and always was and even the pro-Trump pro-Putinistas in the far right of the GOP are backing away now.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yep, that "realpolitik" working out real well for Vlad now

Yeh he's really smashing it. Killing his own youth, destroying his countries economic future, creating another cold war......yet I doubt Vlad will feel any suffering personally. His wealth will see him safe and secure in retirement.

He could learn something from Slomo perhaps and start saying "I don't hold a gun"?

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
So Putin's May 9 Victory Parade speech was a bit of a damp squib - filled with lies and the old re-hashed grievances of course, but nothing unexpected. No escalation or mass-mobilisation, and no declaration of victory either.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
So Putin's May 9 Victory Parade speech was a bit of a damp squib - filled with lies and the old re-hashed grievances of course, but nothing unexpected. No escalation or mass-mobilisation, and no declaration of victory either.

It's difficult to believe any news we read/hear Ant. Where's this coup the oligarchs were supposed to do?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It's difficult to believe any news we read/hear Ant. Where's this coup the oligarchs were supposed to do?

This is pretty straight reporting of a public speech on the record, you can choose your news source if you doubt the NY Times TF. Harry could recommend you some independent reporters on Youtube maybe.

The rumoured coup I mentioned was coming from hardline ex-Soviet security guys, not the oligarchs. I did clearly label it as rumour, its significance is more in the fact that such rumours are going around at all, but that's just my take.

Next you'll ask me why Putin's not dead of cancer yet, give it time TF ;-)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
This is pretty straight reporting of a public speech on the record, you can choose your news source if you doubt the NY Times TF. Harry could recommend you some independent reporters on Youtube maybe.

The rumoured coup I mentioned was coming from hardline ex-Soviet security guys, not the oligarchs. I did clearly label it as rumour, its significance is more in the fact that such rumours are going around at all, but that's just my take.

Next you'll ask me why Putin's not dead of cancer yet, give it time TF ;-)
Sorry, the question wasn't directed at you as I also heard it on BBC that this was to happen soon.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sorry, the question wasn't directed at you as I also heard it on BBC that this was too happen soon.

oops, sorry misinterpreted your reply.

Who knows! If he really is ill, maybe terminally, there could be movements going on.