Saffran-Race Relations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Saffran-Race Relations

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Just wondering if anybody watched  Race Relations last night and if so what they thought of it.

I've been a Saffran fan since Race Around the World, which I loved.  I was really disappointed with his new show last night.  I thought it was an hour show and was just about to turn it off when the credits came on after half an hour.  I reckon it bordered on boring and lacked direction.  I guess he was trying to be controversial as usual but he didn't quite pull it off (so to speak).  I certainly didn't find it funny like I usually do with his work.

I'll give it another go next week but it would want to improve a bit for me to become a fan.

Edit-I've gotta admit the 30 mins passed pretty quickly so boring mightn't really be a fair description. Disappointing still to me based on the high regard I usually rate John with. Maybe my expectations were a tad high,

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Hi Rosy,

I watched the show last night.
I found it both intelluctually based and cutting edge in its humour.

But I must admit that my wife didn't find it as funny as I did.
Maybe it's humour had a greater attraction for males.
But that maybe a generalisation.
Clearly more men & women would have to voice opinion.

The press today revealed that over 700,000 people wached Saffran's show.
Apparently there have been only a handful of complaints regarding the show.
Yet over a million people, including myself, watched Spicks 7 specks just prior to it.
Maybe some viewers did drop off after Spicks 7 Specks.

As you say, the viewer audience over the next few weeks will tell.
But I am a long-converted Saffran fan.

For those who missed it, the show is on again tonight on ABC2.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Some press reports:

The Age

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/blogs/the-vulture/john-safran-is-a-wer--but-brilliant-with-it/20091022-ha10.html

Herald-Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv/john-safrans-race-relations-attracts-705000-viewers-only-20-complaints/story-e6frf9ho-1225789886329

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Interesting links thanks Phantom.  I was neither offended or outraged and I did have a chuckle or two, Obama is one example, but I reckon overall it could have been done better.  I'd watch it again to see if I just wasn't in the mood last night if I wasn't going out to dinner tonight. Grrr at fandangled recorders that I can't tune in to our telly to tape things.

It will be very interesting to see the reaction to the black episode.

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
Phantom said:
I found it both intelluctually based and cutting edge in its humour.

Wow - I didn't catch all the show, but couldn't disagree more and thought the exact opposite - it wasn't clever or funny.

Whilst the premise is interesting and certainly great fodder for exploration, that's where it ended for me. It reminded me of clever school boy trying to be funny to get attention.

Stealing undies and sniffing them.
Having a wank over Obama.
Going to a sperm bank and providing Palestinian sperm instead of Israeli sperm, and visa versa.

School boy stuff.

Offensive? No
Clever? Funny? No

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Switching sperm: funny, brilliant, simple.

Funniest part for me was the fake interviews when they showed a bare syllable response from the urasian celebrity in question. Funny. Wasn't schoolboy at all. His messages have to be simple, controversial and funny for the show to work, job done.

ozserpico66

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bulleen
I found it funny.

I just wonder how much of it is scripted and fake.. Would it be that easy to break into the dressing rooms at Rod Laver Arena and then by a stroke of luck find a used pair of undies hidden away??. I doubt it.

I must say the part Japanese Biologist is one hell of a hottie...

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
I reckon it was contrived.

The point that one wasn't sure as to whether it was contrived or not, meant that it was done well.

School boy stuff!

Of course.

Monty Python is/was schoolboy stuff - "I'm a lumberjack ... I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra, I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars."

Derek & Clive (Cook & Moore) - all schoolboy stuff

And universally acknowledged.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Yeah, Monty Python were lowbrow and highbrow at the same time - quite a feat.

Sorry I missed this. I like Saffran, generally speaking; he takes on taboos where most others are trying to silence people through political correctness and group think. He hopefully makes people examine their own delusions along the way.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
How do people think the series pan out? I never got around to watching it after the first episode. My son, who is a big Saffron fan, thought it had it's good moments but wasn't up to his usual standard.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
How do people think the series pan out? I never got around to watching it after the first episode. My son, who is a big Saffron fan, thought it had it's good moments but wasn't up to his usual standard.

Hmmm, I thought it was pretty ordinary yet was still to his usual standards.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
jb03 said:
Hmmm, I thought it was pretty ordinary yet was still to his usual standards.

Ok "usual" mightn't have been the correct choice of words sorry jb...substitute wasn't up to the standard of some of his previous work. Did you think his work on Race Around The World was pretty ordinary? I thought it was great, as did many others judging by the votes and awards he received.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
Ok "usual" mightn't have been the correct choice of words sorry jb...substitute wasn't up to the standard of some of his previous work. Did you think his work on Race Around The World was pretty ordinary? I thought it was great, as did many others judging by the votes and awards he received.

I think he peaked with RATW.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
I only got to see one. He was going back to all his old girlfriends to pash on with their mums. It was low brow as, but I still LMAO.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
evo said:
I only got to see one. He was going back to all his old girlfriends to pash on with their mums. It was low brow as, but I still LMAO.

Yes we know you are fond of the 'pie in face' style of humour. It is why you also regularly talk up Funniest Home Videos.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
jb03 said:
Yes we know you are fond of the 'pie in face' style of humour. It is why you also regularly talk up Funniest Home Videos.

:mad: I'm gunna defend Evo here - this is a 100% false allegation

I'll have you know that in the Evo household the only show considered better than "Hey Hey It's Saturday" is "The Best of Hey Hey It's Saturday"

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
only saw the one where he was nailed on the cross. looked quite real if it wasn't