Sam Lloyd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Lloyd

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Think he would have struggled to make the best 22 at Richmond so good on him for doing well at the Dogs.

DS
About right. I'm a massive fan of Sammy because he just loves a goal but lacks the pace for our game style. As others suggest its been a win win

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If you compare their seasons on Footywire, you can see proof that Sammy had as good a season as Castagna, or arguably slightly better. Remarkably similar stats, even in height and weight. The club therefore made a sound decision based on JC's much younger age (29.7/23.3) , although compared to Butler? Same issue but he lost his place in the side, and club. Sam goes into stoppages a bit more but Jason is much faster, more explosive.

Obviously JC had a top game in the GF, but really doubt SL would have kicked 0.5 from those opportunities. Still club is not worse off, clearly, while Sam is better off at the Bullies who look to be rebuilding a promising side.
Win/win.
Lloyd would not have got the opportunities in the grand final that Castagna largely created for himself. Lloyd is incapable of applying the defensive pressure we require from our small forwards, hence he was out the door. George is twice the player in our system.

Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Lloyd would not have got the opportunities in the grand final that Castagna largely created for himself. Lloyd is incapable of applying the defensive pressure we require from our small forwards, hence he was out the door. George is twice the player in our system.
Yeh, sure Sammy is a better shot for goal and has more composure when in possession but that's about where it ends. George gets to and creates contests not many can or would. And creates chances as you say that others wouldn't. And is gonna get better! George is my sneaky tip for the AA 40 next year.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Pretty sure Sammy’s big game just started on fox.

This forward line from 2016 contains Griffiths , Vickery, Hampson, Menadue, Ellis C ......surprising we didn’t win the flag that year :cool:
Amazing what happened between 2016 and 2017.

As you say the 2016 side v Sydney had the guys You mentioned PLUS Miles, Chaplin, Batchelor and Hunt.

You look at those names and it screams VFL side!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
That’s what held Sam back at Richmond, unless you apply massive pressure as a forward you don’t get picked. Castagna does that but there is no doubt that Lloyd is a better ball user

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

As you say the 2016 side v Sydney had the guys You mentioned PLUS Miles, Chaplin, Batchelor and Hunt.

Makes Dimma look better with his H&A record the previous 3 years and then obviously the next 3 years were totally different cattle

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Cotchin and Houli were on the sidelines for that game, and Griffens did kick 5.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Round 8 2016
Seems as it was a side from the late 80's.
Just adding another 15 quality players makes a world of difference. :rotfl1

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Vickery has to be close to the worse top 10 pick in the history of draft.
We had the quaddie of really poor big men Elton Jellybean Griffens and vickery.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Vickery has to be close to the worse top 10 pick in the history of draft.
We had the quaddie of really poor big men Elton Jellybean Griffens and vickery.

There would be hundreds worse than Tyrone. He had many faults but 125 games and 160 goals puts him ahead of most players.

On Sammy Lloyd, I'm stoked he's having such a good career at the Dogs. He's a champ.

Reactions: 9 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Sam Lloyd is a ripper. I’m surprised other clubs have not looked at who else is getting starved of opportunity and come for them from us. Blair went looking and found us Houli and Grigg.

Reactions: 1 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
There would be hundreds worse than Tyrone. He had many faults but 125 games and 160 goals puts him ahead of most players.

On Sammy Lloyd, I'm stoked he's having such a good career at the Dogs. He's a champ.
My thinking has changed since we won the 2017 flag. It use to hurt me when our players left for other clubs.
But now, it's quite different. Seeing Townsend go is sad, but I reflect on his best performance in 2017, he will always be part of that wonderful 2017 team. Sadly he doesn't quite fit in, now my attitude is we need new blood to ensure Richmond continue to develop and grow, we thank Townsend and others who have help, wish them well and look towards our mighty future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That has to be close to being the worst analysis of a player in the history of forums.

Zips didn't engage cognitive faculties before posting that.

Peeps used to claim McBeano was better than Vickery too. Objectively false by any measure you like.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
A few other pieces to the puzzle arrived 2017 too, I’d caution giving him all the credit, Emma Murray and dusty , Balmey , leppa returning , I could go on
Yes it’s far more complicated that just Caracella. It’s pretty well documented that there was a decision to let the players play with more freedom, to release the shackles. How that was implemented was clearly influenced by Caracella and he was clearly part of a change in the way we played as midfield coach but to attribute it all to him would be overstating his role.
In anything that I have read or heard on the 2017 pre season there were multiple influences