Sam Lloyd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Lloyd

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
is that the game plan we were trialing late 16 before Caracella's arrival ?

Still hanging on to that fig leaf, Taz? I'd have a quick look at rd 23 of 2016 and check out how we moved the ball forward at every opportunity, played each player to their strengths and played a man deep forward behind the other team's last man.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Still hanging on to that fig leaf, Taz? I'd have a quick look at rd 23 of 2016 and check out how we moved the ball forward at every opportunity, played each player to their strengths and played a man deep forward behind the other team's last man.
We were trialling it in the twos, George especially prominent. We won the last 6 after being 3-9 and might well have won the flag if we'd only made the 8. We were ballistic.

On what else changed post-16, we also brought in Prestia, Caddy and Nank, pretty handy ins.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I am nothing if not consistent !

Reactions: 1 user

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
We were trialling it in the twos, George especially prominent. We won the last 6 after being 3-9 and might well have won the flag if we'd only made the 8. We were ballistic.

On what else changed post-16, we also brought in Prestia, Caddy and Nank, pretty handy ins.

Ha yeah let's get the reserve players to trial the new game plan and the senior players (who actually have to implement it) can still practice the old one. Makes sense to me.

I don't know why posters still peddle this nonsense when so many inside the tent all agree the messaging and game plan changed 180 degrees in 2017.

This includes the CEO , ex assistants including Chocco, current assistants including Blake, players like Jack, Vlaustin and Edwards and Hardwick himself.

Unlike yandb's post above I don't think the game plan was the sole factor for the change but it was a big one.

The change is philosophy and messaging and embraced by leaders Trent and Hardwick was also very significant together with astute recruiting and development.

When a team starts getting major things right it usually tidies up most areas.

Balmey in driving the changes identified in the review together with his common sense of how to run a football department also huge and if I could pick one key signing it would be him.

In essence Richmond embraced change and implemented it beautifully and all involved deserve credit and praise, a fair chunk of credit and finally kudos also to our core once in a generation stars who finally got some support from coaches and teammates.

I'm sad to see Blake go and will be an interested observer in how Richmond and Essendon adapt over the next few years. We are beautifully set up to continue as we have been though.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
A few other pieces to the puzzle arrived 2017 too, I’d caution giving him all the credit, Emma Murray and dusty , Balmey , leppa returning , I could go on
I am not giving him all the credit the word I used was 'main'.

One way of looking at it is of all the changes that were made if we didn't play the new game plan but had still played Dimma's 2016 game plan we would not have made the top eight in 2017.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
For me, that's the sort of nonsense that destroys your credibility as a poster.

He's not even close to being one of the 'shhiitest' footballers anyone has ever seen by any sensible measure.

For a start 125 games puts him in the top 15% of all players for games played. 104th for Richmond.

125 goals makes him 560th of all time for goals. 2 x 30 plus goal seasons, 3 x 20+ goal seasons.

Second in the goal kicking twice, finished 5th in a Best and Fairest.

Nothing there even remotely supports the ridiculous assertion that he was a terrible footballer.

At the end of the day he was a talented player with plenty of potential who never achieved what he might have. That was probably due to a combination of factors; injuries, where the club was at during his career, Riewoldt's playing style at that stage and at the end of the day it probably just didn't mean enough to him.

Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story Richo :)

Totally agree with your post. Vickery could be frustrating, but not the dud some like to think.

Reactions: 1 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Enough about Vickery!

Back to Sam Lloyd. Now.... how do Lloyd’s stats compare to Vickery’s? Different type of player I suppose. What about difference in hair style? And what does Sam even think about Vickery? Argh, enough about Lloyd already, this is a Vickery thread!

B

Bill James

The main difference between 2016 and 2017, 18,19 was Caracalla's game plan.
2019 game plan is quite different to 2019 game plan IMHO, 2017 game plan got worked out by at least Dogs, Coll, and Ess by late 2018.

2017 was a good part luck, Griffins goes down and we start playing Jack and Jumping Beans and no other team has a backline that can defend it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
For me, that's the sort of nonsense that destroys your credibility as a poster.

He's not even close to being one of the 'shhiitest' footballers anyone has ever seen by any sensible measure.

For a start 125 games puts him in the top 15% of all players for games played. 104th for Richmond.

125 goals makes him 560th of all time for goals. 2 x 30 plus goal seasons, 3 x 20+ goal seasons.

Second in the goal kicking twice, finished 5th in a Best and Fairest.

Nothing there even remotely supports the ridiculous assertion that he was a terrible footballer.

At the end of the day he was a talented player with plenty of potential who never achieved what he might have. That was probably due to a combination of factors; injuries, where the club was at during his career, Riewoldt's playing style at that stage and at the end of the day it probably just didn't mean enough to him.

Yep. Even with the flameout at Hawthorn he still had a very good career.

Zips problem is that far shitter players don't last more than a few games so he forgets about them, while T-Bone was on show week in and week out.

Totally right decision to ship him out though.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yep. Even with the flameout at Hawthorn he still had a very good career.

Zips problem is that far shitter players don't last more than a few games so he forgets about them, while T-Bone was on show week in and week out.

Totally right decision to ship him out though.

Yes agree.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but i think we selected Bolton with the compensation pick that we got for Vickery.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Yes it’s far more complicated that just Caracella. It’s pretty well documented that there was a decision to let the players play with more freedom, to release the shackles. How that was implemented was clearly influenced by Caracella and he was clearly part of a change in the way we played as midfield coach but to attribute it all to him would be overstating his role.
In anything that I have read or heard on the 2017 pre season there were multiple influences
Sure , I’m not diminishing his contribution, he was a piece of the puzzle no more or less important than several other changes that were well documented in Konrad Marshall’s book. Some are quick to credit him with it all in a backhanded way to justify their long term cynicism’ of dimma , always same culprits

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Sam was a genuine blue collar player. Hard at it with all the skills he had available to him and never let us down in yellow and black. Enjoy the next phase of your life Sam and thanks for the memories

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Thanks for everything Sam. Always gave it his all when he played, Seniors or VFL.

Reactions: 2 users