Sam Newman - Richmond dumbest team ever. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Newman - Richmond dumbest team ever.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Harry said:
PRR hit the nail on the head regarding the fundamental flaw in our game plan............we don't move the ball quick enough because we don't play on often enough............this stems from what I've been saying all along............not enough hard running from players behind the play being prepared to leave their man to provide a run to receive handballing option to the player with the ball.

Listening to Brereton (who I regard as having a very smart football brain) on tripple M a few weeks back he said that richmond were very poor in supporting one another in that our hanball run to receives was very low as opposed to the opposition (can't remember which game it was)..................he said that our running and supporting all over the park was poor and that players were to weary of leaving their direct opponents to support the player with the ball...........this inhibited us to play on more often which resulted in ugly, stop start, grinding, low scoring football.

This not only needs to be part of the overall game plan, but also needs to be practice on the training track.

Spot on Harry. Us supporters, the media and the opposition clubs can see we don't do any of above. Unfortunately the only ones who can't see this and seem incapable of implementing of this modern style of footy are in the Richmond coaches' box.

If Danny can't get the players to play this mysterious style he wants then he has been unable to communicate his message to the players for quite a while now as we see them play negative, dumb and indirect footy every weekend. Sadly I feel we are in the exact situation the Swans were last year under Eade.

Danny needs to be honest with himself and realise his time is up and resign for the good of the Club.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The reason we take too long to dispose of the ball is because of a lack of options up the ground.

Players are staying back forming defensive walls waiting for the turnover.

If we backed ourselves and left more players forward of the ball, and/or had more players running forward PASSED the player with the ball, maybe we'd have the options to move the ball quickly and not end up stagnant.

By the time we get it forward, the talls are swamped 4 to 1, and the crumbers are besieged by ground defenders.

All we have to do is run it quickly and kick it to the hot spot 20m out from goal dead in front. SIMPLE

If it came in quick, one of our talls is better than evens to mark. If not, then with the 3 muskateers at their feet with space around them, you'd probably have a crumbed goal anyway.

Pradictable - Maybe, but bear in mind it's pradictable for us too. The midfielders know where to kick it every time, and the crumbers know where to be. With the ball in that spot, it's HOT for the opposition. Then they'd start trying to flood.

Boot is on the other foot - We'd be dictating terms.

Right now we are SO DEFENSIVE that the last thing an opposition coach worries about is trying to stop our game because he knows that SPUD is too worried about the opponents game plan to even have one of his own.

By not sacking this coach, Richmond are not realising that 2 wrongs don't make a right!