Sandringham vs Coburg Practice match | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sandringham vs Coburg Practice match

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
Sandringham: 4-1, 6-4, 7-5, 8-10-58
Coburg: 1-4, 3-5, 3-10, 5-12-42

For a team that hasn't played together that much
they did OK. Tuck had quite a good day, but poor
Gilmore ended up with some kind of ankle injury.
Rogers played for maybe 3 quarters and did Ok as
well.

As always, Dean Talbot for Coburg was one of the
best.

The game was very scrappy at times, and it was
kind of like Richmond playing when they aren't going
too well. Lots of easy missed goals and the scores
would have been much closer.

There were signs that when thing 'gel' together
they can play good football - they were instructed
to use the middle of the ground, and when they did
things looked up, except for several silly mistakes.

Almost forgot to mention... Andrew Mills - plays
for Sandringham now ... didn't see much of him tho'
probably because we weren't paying much attention
to him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Coburg Tigers v Sandringham

After what was nothing more than a unprofessional, dis-organised, rabble-like effort on Friday (seriously - Joel Bowden just has to go), did anyone else like myself go to Sandringham on Saturday afternoon seeking some solace ?

If so, what did you think and how long is Gilmour expected to be out for ?

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Re:Coburg Tigers v Sandringham

Redford. We have a seperate board dedicated to Coburg ;) It would be good if you could post things there as it doesn't see much action but also it will help keep related topics together.

I will leave your thread here for awhile to give others the chance to see it and who also may not be aware of our Coburg board.
Then I will move this thread over to the Coburg board.

Cheers Redford

Tigerdog

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

Gilmour was on crutches at the Family Day yesterday. It was mentioned that he had had a mishap, but nature of it & expected time out was not mentioned.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=4481

Try that link Redford. (It is where this thread will end up)

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Redford,

Can you give us some detail of what you thought of the youngsters ??

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Give me 20 mins or so and I'll post something on the Coburg thread that Tigerdog supplied.

(Trying to dodge work interference ! Haaargh haaargh !!)

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
As Baktiger says the game was very, very scrappy. Not too much free flowing football or many goals scored - as the result shows.

I went along to see how some of the young guys performed. It’s only one game and very early of course but:

Brent Hartigan: as President of Brent I am pleased to report that whilst he had a quiet first quarter, he must have racked up 8 or 9 classy possessions in the second quarter and was on target for the same in the 3rd quarter before he was spelled for the rest of the game. As people know, I’m a big wrap for Hartigan. He has class and he just looks like a footballer. His effort on Saturday was pretty good considering we’ve got him playing a defensive role – and quite often on guys with a lot more weight and height as well.

Nathan Foley: I’ve seen him play a bit for Geelong Falcons and he never really impressed me all that much but he did very well on Saturday. He got a lot of the footy in heavy traffic and shows some signs that he may have been a good rookie pick up. His skill level looked a lot better than what I’ve seen when he played for Geelong. Like Hartigan, he was spelled half way through the 3rd quarter.

Alex Gilmour: didn’t do much. Played on the wing. I think he has a long way to go. He is very lightly framed. One thing is for certain, he is not fit enough. After every contest he was involved in, he spent a lot of time bent over pulling down on his shorts struggling for breath and missing a number of other contests that he could have moved on to. He seems to be reasonably well skilled, nothing scintillating, and he seems to read the play ok. In the last quarter he got up off the ground limping and lifting his hip up and down. I thought it looked like a troublesome thing e.g. Osteitis Pubis. About 5 minutes later he went down in a screaming heap in the back pocket. The way he was holding the same leg up off the ground whilst the trainers attended to him indicated he wasn’t in too good a shape. They carried him off over the boundary line. It could be a twisted ankle – and probably is – but let’s just hope its not some chronic OP or more serious injury that is gonna keep him out for a long, long time.

Daniel Jackson: was given a defensive role for most of the game and applied himself pretty well. He goes hard at it for a young kid. Put up some good tackles and seems pretty good overhead. Not afraid to give a bit of ‘jaw’ either ! He’s got a reasonable build for a kid his age. One thing though, how the hell those idiots Beck and co. reckon he is gonna be a 189 cm key position player is beyond me. That is just bullsh*t. Daniel would be 185 cm tops and I can’t possibly see how he could make that height and fill a CHB or CHF role.

Andrew Raines; for mine, he really struggled. Hardly touched it. Hung around on the fringes and when he did get it, he quite correctly went for some long kicks, but they weren’t to a target and were ‘floatish’ as well. He’s still very light, but looks like he’ll fill out in time. As he’s only 17, he’s gonna take some time to develop.

Archibald did not play. Tuck was probably the best. He got a fair bit of the ball, put himself into the fray but he is scrappy by foot. Dragacevic played ok, but as usual missed easy shots on goal.

David Flood seems a pretty calm, level headed sort of a coach. Could be good for our young kids.

One other interesting thing I noticed was that Coburg have a young kid called Natale Caruso playing with them. Caruso played with Calder Cannons last year and really came on in the second half of the year. He’s only 180-182cm but is a very hard running and well skilled kid who seems to find a lot of space and connection by his reading of the play. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being one of Coburg’s better players this year.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks heaps bak...It's great you keep us up to date with all things Coburg. :)

Thanks heaps Redford, I really appreciate reading your comments about the kids. :)

Glad you got your priorities right. PRE coming before work. That's the way it should be. ;)

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
well done bak and redford.great to see you guys put an effort in for those of us who didnt go.
one question is paddy steinfort still playing for coburg?

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Great work as always guys, do VFL matches start the same week as AFL??

Just a quick one for Redford, is Brad Rayson still with Coburg, and what is your opinion of him? I can see a touch of the 'Chris Newman' about him myself, but he never seems to get a decent run on the ground

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yes Rosy, work is an incovenience I could do without....Tiges and PRE are much more important, I agree.

Steinfort did not play - not even sure if he's still with Coburg. Does anyone know ?

As for Rayson, no I don't believe he did either but I'm not too familiar with him and there were a few guys playing out there who were not listed on the player sheet that they were handing out at the gate.

I'm gonna go to as many Coburg games as possible this year and will try to keep everyone updated on the development of our youngsters.

Go "Harts" !

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I think I read somewhere Steinfort wil lbe playing here in SA for one of the SANFL teams. Cant remember htough but think ?I read that somewhere.

Got Clinton King playing for Sth Adelaide, Kristian DePasquale Port Magpies and there aer others that escape me at the moment.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Redford, thanks for the summary.

You mentioned Jackson and how you were impressed with his hardness. What is your opinion about his speed, skill level and more importantly his awareness and footy smarts.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well Harry, it's a bit hard to tell off the back of just one game but from what I could see he is going to be an aggressive type. As for his skill level he looked to be adequate enough. He had a set shot from well outside 50 in the last quarter which whilst missing, went well over the goal line.

He seems ok above his head.

I wouldn't say he was especially quick.

He seems to also have a reasonable head for the play of the game.

Again, it's really hard to tell from just one game and particularly in one which was so scrappy and congested. Really need to see him a couple more times.

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
Redford said:
Steinfort did not play - not even sure if he's still with Coburg. Does anyone know ?

But his Brother did (ie Carl). I'm not sure if Paddy is still
around at Coburg - maybe he's done his knee again?
Carl is supposed to be the reserves coach - maybe he's
just playing in these practice games for fun :)

bg25

God must love stupid people, he made so many!
Oct 3, 2003

Redford said:
After what was nothing more than a unprofessional, dis-organised, rabble-like effort on Friday (seriously - Joel Bowden just has to go), did anyone else like myself go to Sandringham on Saturday afternoon seeking some solace ?

If so, what did you think and how long is Gilmour expected to be out for ?

Spoke to Gilmour yesterday and he said that he'd be running this week - that it was nothing serious. My God, that boy's little!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

bg25 said:
Redford said:
Spoke to Gilmour yesterday and he said that he'd be running this week - that it was nothing serious. My God, that boy's little!

Good work Benny.

Well that's a relief. The way he went down, he looked like he'd been shot !

Yes, he is very slight. There's a lot of work to do in building him up. And again, like they did with Jackson, Beck (the buffoon) completely overstated his size saying that he would eventually grow into the 185cm range.

Not likely, in my humble opinion.

Go "Harts" !