SBS axes Marngrook footy show after 12 seasons

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
NITV is an SBS channel. Seems to be decision by NITV-SBS to axe it.
The only reason I can see from the reports is cost savings, but why cut your highest rating program? doesn't make sense
Bizarre.

Im gonna email them and ask.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
comments@sbs.com.au

Dear SBS,

Can you please explain the rationale behind axing The Marngrook Footy Show? Amongst my community it is an extremely popular and highly regarded show.

I also believe it was a trailblazing show in the way it appealed equally to black and white audiences. I actually think The Marngrook Footy show was a working example of practical reconciliation; A unique and nuanced expression of Black culture which promoted respect and understanding from a relatively mainstream audience, about a topic that Black and White cultures love in common. Unfortunately, Australian Football is one of the few areas where Indigenous Australia is revered by much of white Australia. The Marngrook Footy Show is a powerful celebration of a totemic starting point to repair our broken relationship. It is also a really well presented and entertaining show.

On the face of it, its axing seems counter intuitive, counter productive and counter- The SBS Charter.

I am very interested to receive your justification for the show's axing.

In the meantime, can you please pass on my congratulations to all the shows crew for 12 great years of quality production.

Yours Sincerely,

EzT

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If the show can't find a new home, which I reckon they will,

The RFC should partner with Treaty Victoria and have our media dept. produce a version on RFC.com fostering skills through the KGI

One of the saddest parts of the axing is we won't get to see Marlion Pickett vie for the most verbally economical footy show guest the world has ever known?

Reactions: 2 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
An indigenous footy show that focuses on the footy and the wonderful contribution our indigenous brothers and sisters have made. Non controversial promoting togetherness rather than division, loved by footy fans regardless of skin colour or heritage and most importantly a great show to watch.
Clearly it had to go.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
An indigenous footy show that focuses on the footy and the wonderful contribution our indigenous brothers and sisters have made. Non controversial promoting togetherness rather than division, loved by footy fans regardless of skin colour or heritage and most importantly a great show to watch.
Clearly it had to go.
yeah its really sad ..... Black Fellas achieve something really unique, special and successful in a white fella way, and it gets canned.

SBS are quoting 20,000 viewers (across 5 cities)

I cant imagine too many black fellas get TV rating polled?

I wonder how many people tuned into the Danish production of a story of an Iranian who makes desert sand sculptures of a dying breed of milkgoats (all the actors keep their clothes on)?

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

Brain washing the kids, one stuffed toy at a time
May 4, 2004
Whilst I never watched the show (I'm "TV'd" out by the end of the week when it comes to football), I find this a very, very strange decision.

Not the least because it gives a very important voice to a group that has had a profound influence (and excitement) to the sport, but because I don't know a single person who said it's a bad show. The worst thing I've heard are comments about the production values (again, not watched more than a snippet here and there so aren't judging myself) but those comments were then reasoned away because of the amount of money they play with to make it. Surely another station could pick this up, and give it a home. It seems well loved by all who watch it.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Hi EzT,
Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us, we appreciate hearing from you and have included your feedback in our daily report.
The Marngrook Footy Show has a long history with NITV which we will always celebrate – it’s been an important part of the schedule for 12 years.

We continually review our content offering to ensure that we’re meeting the needs of our audiences in a changing media landscape, and sometimes we have to make tough choices about how we spend our limited budgets across our programming. The Marngrook Footy Show has had many successes during its 12 years. While we have seen measured TV audiences decline in a changing media landscape in recent years, ultimately we consider a number of factors when determining how we spend our limited budgets across our programming slate. It was a difficult decision to not commission a further season of The Marngrook Footy Show after such a long run, but NITV remains committed to delivering a wide range of unique, inspiring sporting coverage from around Australia, and exploring new ways of championing Indigenous storytelling across all platforms.

We thank the Marngrook crew for their dedication and passion and wish them every success in the future.

SBS

Fancy that hey? What a quantitative, tailored, in depth response.

I havnt felt so empowered and positive about the world, in making their 'daily feedback report',

since breakfast the other morning, when I read on the back of my muesli box

how passionate the manufacturer was about muesli and giving me a great start to my day.

then finding a freeze dried cranberry really put a rosy glow on the world.

I dont know how I'd get out of bed in the morning if their weren't people in the world with degrees in media and public relations

Last edited:

JimJessTorp

Tiger Superstar
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Hi EzT,
Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us, we appreciate hearing from you and have included your feedback in our daily report.
The Marngrook Footy Show has a long history with NITV which we will always celebrate – it’s been an important part of the schedule for 12 years.

We continually review our content offering to ensure that we’re meeting the needs of our audiences in a changing media landscape, and sometimes we have to make tough choices about how we spend our limited budgets across our programming. The Marngrook Footy Show has had many successes during its 12 years. While we have seen measured TV audiences decline in a changing media landscape in recent years, ultimately we consider a number of factors when determining how we spend our limited budgets across our programming slate. It was a difficult decision to not commission a further season of The Marngrook Footy Show after such a long run, but NITV remains committed to delivering a wide range of unique, inspiring sporting coverage from around Australia, and exploring new ways of championing Indigenous storytelling across all platforms.

We thank the Marngrook crew for their dedication and passion and wish them every success in the future.

SBS

Fancy that hey? What a quantitative, tailored, in depth response.

I havnt felt so empowered and positive about the world, in making their 'daily feedback report',

since breakfast the other morning, when I read on the back of my muesli box

how passionate the manufacturer was about muesli and giving me a great start to my day.

then finding a freeze dried cranberry really put a rosy glow on the world.

I dont know how I'd get out of bed in the morning if their weren't people in the world with degrees in media and public relations
Easy, I'm surprised they didn't simply send you a link to the hidden page on their website with the following URL...

www.sbs.com.au/nitv/cannedresponses

...along with an instruction to choose the one that makes you feel the happiest.

At least you'll be in their daily report which gets sent to --> /dev/null

;)

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Anyone here actually watch it recently and consistently? Few times I did see it must admit I didn't think it was much chop.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not much of a t.v. watcher unless it's actually a sporting contest. Have probably watched as much of the Marngrook show as any other " footy ' show over the last ten years which is very little of any. Disappointing for others who watched the show that it's been axed. Personally, just think there's an over abundance of shows these days n most of them, like the commentators these days are just about over churning the repetitive noise n opinion rather than two or three premium quality shows.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Anyone here actually watch it recently and consistently?
Nah, never watched it. think it was just a few blokes kicking a possum head around?

Its just a hobby of mine to write to television stations when they axe a show.

I'll try pull out my Hey Hey its Saturday letter from the file.

Reactions: 1 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Nah, never watched it. think it was just a few blokes kicking a possum head around?

Its just a hobby of mine to write to television stations when they axe a show.

I'll try pull out my Hey Hey its Saturday letter from the file.
You'll have the same success.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I wonder how many people tuned into the Danish production of a story of an Iranian who makes desert sand sculptures of a dying breed of milkgoats (all the actors keep their clothes on)?
I loved that show. it was always a hot topic around the office water cooler, particularly discussing which breed of milkgoat deserved saving the most.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I have never watched the show myself, when the Footy Show went politically correct I stopped watching them.

On the couch is the only football related program that I bother watching.(apart from the games)