Scratchy Win | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Scratchy Win

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
MC24 said:
[
I heard the interview as I was driving to the game KL. At last, someone who tells it like it is. He was honest in everything he said and I really appreciated that.

He also reinforced what I have been saying to people for a couple of years now. When we played Brisbane in about Round 18 of 2001, we looked like a bunch of skinny kids, compared to them. If I didn't know it already, that just confirmed how far behind the top teams we really are.

And Greg Miller mentioned that very point and said that it would be at least two seasons before we could hope to match the likes of Brisbane/top teams.

After watching the Port vs Brisbane game on Saturday night and seeing our game on Sunday, it really put things into perspective, if they weren't already.

If we can get within cooee of any of the top teams this season and provide genuine opposition, I would consider that significant improvement.

Exactly, MC24, so refreshing to here an honest appraisal of where are at and where we need to get to. The Hudson comment stood out to me becasue people danced around that all of last year.

He was also glowing in his praise of Wayne Campbell. I think he said that he was once one of the many people outside the Club that questioned Campbo's abilities as a skipper but has definitely changed his mind now. I was impressed with that statement.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
granted we are no where near the likes of brisbane but tell me which side is really?
its ok to say we should have traded daffy to the dawks and rogers to the crows.however does anyone know what the offer was? or if like the stafford and bourke deal if we would have had to pay half their wage?
we have made some awful mistakes in the past with long contracts way back when we signed the big 4.and then the likes of biddescombe.
this should never happen again i was even peeved at the *smile* deal for that very reason altho we will get our money,s worth with gas.
we are just fed up with a few people in here who continue to bag the club and the players with the same repeative garbage.
for sure bag the club and player when its deserved but for some no matter what they just cant help themselves.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
johnson2richo2003 said:
for sure bag the club and player when its deserved but for some no matter what they just cant help themselves.

Some people have an addiction I reckon j2r if they don’t bag the players at least once a day they come out in cold sweats and start shivering. ;)

Doctor TG recommends a year away from football and then a switch to barracking for Brisbane to avoid the tension of having to watch richmond and not having to stress week in week out ;D

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Sorry Harry. You sound like a genuine Richmond supporter.

Now, where's that English whiner who called Coughlan and Rodan 'duds'? Must be too busy spotting trains to contribute to an upbeat thread like this. As your countryman wrote: "Sorry seems to be the hardest word".... Onya guv! ;)

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
i will try hard not to upset anyone, but fair dinkum i have to ask what game u people were watching??? Rogers good on sunday???cmon!!! Look sadly its not his fault!! If the coach keeps playing you in the wrong position than what do you do!!! I totally agree we should have traded him back to adelaide when he was worth something!!! But since we kept on to him, the least the DUD frawley could do is play the guy in a position which benefits the club and himself!!!! Why play a guy whose disposal is shocking and continously coughs it up when not even under pressure in defence or the middle!!! Put him in the forward line were he can use his agression on defenders!!!!! At least if he coughs it up the worst result will be a point for us!!!!!

Once again frawleys shocking player managemnt skills!!!

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
shocking player managing skills?
so not playing the likes of coughlan in the 1st 18 mnths was bad player managment skills?the kid was well managed in my opinion and he is now reaping the awards instead of being thrown into the deep end when not ready.
giving rodan a slight increase per game last year to slowly but surely ease him into the bigtime.

same applys to krakour

as far as rogers considering he was used as a tagger he did the job.we all know his limitations but like DK he goes out there and does his job.when was the last time buckley got 35 touchs against us?this what erks me the most.the likes of DK go out and limit the best oppositions midfeilder but all some people can see is his bad kicking style.
his team mates know his limitations and should play accordingly when dunc has the ball. eg handball etc.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Going back to "my gameplan", of needing middlefielders to run hard and carry the ball into the 50 and into goal scoring positions it was interesting watching the replay again last night that I noticed Gary Lyon say exactly the same thing.

For all you out there who taped the game, go to the third quarter when Hilton kicked that great goal where he span out of a tackle and snapped a 35m goal. After the goal Gary Lyon said " The tigers need a spark, they just need to get a bit more run through the middle, try and penetrate the 50m arc".

I really beleive this is where we fall down. Watching the game it was interesting to see that we probably scored 1 or 2 goals through hard running penetration from the middle into the 50m area - Tivendales goal in the last quarter was really the only one that I can remember.

The bulldogs, on the other hand, even though they lost, scored about 4-5 goals I can vividly remember in that fashion.

Yes I know many of you will say, yeh but the bulldogs lost, but my opinion on this is that they lost because our intensity was higher than there's in the 2nd half and that they didn't man up. I'm not trying to take credit away from us.

But what happens when the oppositions intensity matches ours, or even exceeds ours (like in a finals game). What usually happens? We more times than not crumble under this pressure and lose. Why? IMO this is because of our one dimensional and predictable attacking play.

Picture this. In the dying seconds on sunday Johnson took a mark about 60m out, stopped and delivered a beautiful pass to Hall who converted. This is great play, don't get me wrong. But what would have happened if the bulldogs ran harder and flooded and manned up all our forwards. Johnson, or any other tiger would (more times than not) have kicked long to a contest.

This is where I get upset with richmond and our game plan. We all to often don't have an alternative to this type of attacking play.

An alternative to this would be for midfielders to stream from behind the play, being prepared to leave their man and run hard to receive a hanball and penetrate the 50 into a goal scoring position. Similar to a rugby attacking play where players are running hard to receive the ball and have their momentum carry them forward.

All too often I see brisbane and adelaide do this and I ask why doesn't richmond.

The flood has been talked about in the past and teams have wondered how to beat it. I believe brisbane is so successful because this is how they have beaten the flood, to an extent.

Many people reading this thread may not agree with what I have written but I firmly believe that this is what is lacking in our game plan. Gary Lyon can't be that off the mark.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
were did i mention dunc???? By player managemnt skills i mean he doesnt know how to properly manage a player on the field to get the most out of them, wether it means by playing them out of position or not giving them a go!!!! You yourself are saying that rogers must play to his limitations, thus his limitations have showed us over the years that they are best suited for the forward line!!!! So why not play him THERE!!!! Look at the bigger picture b4 you go and have a whinge!!!

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
And in regards to couglan playing or not playing, he would still be in the reserves if we had not had a shocker last year!!!!! SPUD the DUD had no other choice but to play the youngsters so dont tell me he made good decisions!!!!!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I was wondering what people thought of my opinion of richmonds gameplan (on previous post), and what others think about our current game plan/style and what we are lacking.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Harry, I don't think we are blessed with the skillful mix of midfielders that the Lions and Crows have to play that style. I believe our game plan is sound when we have both Richo and Ottens/Staff up forward. The problem is we don't kick it to them quickly enough to have them one on one with their opponents. We stuff around with the footy in the midfield and by the time we get it forward the opposition backmen/ruckman has dropped back and we are kicking to a 2 on 1 or even 3 on 1 contest. Get it to the forwards quickly and kick it to the right side the forward is on (and preferably a drop punt and not a mongrel kick).

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yes I agree with you, Theboss, we should get it to richo and ottens quickly.

But we also need an alternative to this. I disagree with you that we don't have the players that are skillful enough for this game plan. Johnson, Bowden, Tivendale, Rodan, Blumfield, Newman, Cameron, Coughlan, Fiaora etc. are IMO all capable of this. Definately.

But they need to be encouraged to run off their man when they are behind the play and run hard and demand the ball.

In a pressure cooker situation Richo is not going to be free in a goal scoring area enough times to be able to mark and kick us a winning score. Not only richo but all our forwards. This is because the opponents will be manning up and flooding back.

Also if players aren't streaming through demanding and receiving the ball from a mark situation forward of the centre, then the player in possession will be kicking over the man on the mark, which makes it so much harder to find a leading richo.

Why do you think we are stuff around with it in the middle. This is because when the pressure is on, Richo and Ottens are manned up and we have no other alternatives than to chip it around and handball it backwards untill a lead is freed up in front of the play. If this doesn't happen we bomb it long.

Thanx for your reply.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
So what you're trying to say Haralambos is that we need more avenues to goal. I agree with you.
One of our weaknesses for some time has been our midfielders not kicking enough goals (this was evident pre Frawley days also so you can't blame him for this). I'm hopeful with a few wins under our belt and some renewed confidence, we might see more attacking footy from our midfielders and see them kick some attacking goals (alas Knighters goals in 95 semi). There's nothing better then a goal on the run completing a good passage of play.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Haralambos? I don't understand.

Yes. Knight's goal in the 95 finals is exactly what I'm saying. Attacking play from the middle, taking on oppenents, penetrating into the 50, shepherding, linking up, and kicking goals on the run.

When was the last time we saw that type of play from richmond. Not often enough. That's the type of exciting play we need, which would give us more avenues to goal, would put the opposition defence in two minds (do I double back on richo or do I push forward to stop Johnson penetraing the 50), and would free up richo.

My observations with frawely is that he doesn't encourage his players to do this IMO.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
IMO you are right Harry in what you say above, I would also like to see alternative leading options out of the forward line eg Rogers out of a pocket and Campbell playing short of a true half forward flank changing with Bowden or other onballers, have one big bloke at ff (Stafford or Hall because IMO Richo is best value at CHF)
And a crumber on the other flank and the other pocket, although it does depend on match-ups on the day of course. The whole bomb-it-long-it-the-big-blokes plan is too old and predictable and so IMO we need to do what Harry said aswell as the above. God knows sides do it to us all the time, having said all that out tall blokes only kicked a quarter or less of our goals last week so thats encouraging, and I have heard Danny say somewhere that the above fact is recognised and being dealt with. I really hope it is because as you all know we have been able to see this has been a problem for a long time.
The Tigers will get better as the year goes on and I am not too concerned at the moment that a few blokes are short of a run (Blumfield etc) as long as we can keep our heads above water for the first 6 rounds things should be looking good for the rest of the year.

Go dem TIGER!!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Tigerdog, can't agree with you more about rogers in the forward line. In 2000 he was very good there, however IMO he is a liability to the team in the middle.

Another thing, alot of people constantly say that we lack small crumbers in the forward line and we struggle to keep the ball there. My theory on this is that we do not get enough midfielders in our forward 50 in our attacking moves. This stems IMO directly from what I've stated above, players are not streaming forward from behind the play.

Brisbane constantly do this - Brown takes the mark 60 metres out and you can see Akermanis, Lappin, Voss etc. streaming through from behind Brown giving him a handball option. Now, if however brown decides to deliver it to Lynch and the kick is spoiled and brought to the ground, then Lappin, Akermanis, Voss are in the area to crumb. They have numbers in the forward line.

Tigerdog, you say that you heard somewhere that frawely recognises this fact. I hope this is true. However, I observed rnd 1 and rnd 2 from the top stands and I paid attention to this aspect of our game.

I unfortunately noticed that our midfielders were not prepared to leave their man and run hard in forward thrusts. This is the root of me being negative towards frawely as I haven't seen any signs of attempting to improve this. Hope that I am wrong.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
frawleyudud said:
were did i mention dunc???? By player managemnt skills i mean he doesnt know how to properly manage a player on the field to get the most out of them, wether it means by playing them out of position or not giving them a go!!!! You yourself are saying that rogers must play to his limitations, thus his limitations have showed us over the years that they are best suited for the forward line!!!! So why not play him THERE!!!! Look at the bigger picture b4 you go and have a whinge!!!
yahaving ago at me at looking at the bigger picture? and what role is rogers playing this year? as a fwd no.as a stopper yes.it all started towards the end of last year where he did a good job as a tagger and with the retirment of sziller and the continued problems with DK. rogers was given that role towards last year.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
frawleyudud said:
And in regards to couglan playing or not playing, he would still be in the reserves if we had not had a shocker last year!!!!! SPUD the DUD had no other choice but to play the youngsters so dont tell me he made good decisions!!!!!
and of coarse you know better.
poeple like you not spud or anyone else give this club a bad name and i guess miller is right with somethings with his comments.
thrown your membership card away yet?

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Harry,

I understand what you're saying, but as I've mentioned before the coaching staff already put that gameplan into action, when they played Cameron, Fiora and Tivendale on the half back/wing line with a brief to run through to half forward and unload. They are the three guys with the run and kicking skills to pull it off. Unfortunately the results weren't that stunning, but I think it is still in the mix. Torney also mentioned last year that he was encouraged to run out of defense as far as half forward in order to take shots. So clearly the coaching staff are aware of that plan. That's obviously the idea they have in mind for Houlihan. I guess the point is that this ploy is a good one, but like any gameplan it ought to be an option, rather than a blanket strategy.