Season opener | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season opener

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Some rumour that the AFL is looking to move our season opener vs Carlton to a Wednesday night.
Now I'll watch the Tigers anywhere anytime but the AFL is taking the *smile* if they think a mid week game appealing to the average supporter who attends matches.
It's certainly not befitting of a 'Blockbuster' time slot.
Thursday night's are bad enough but our club's leaders needs to give serious consideration to this traditonal* game going forward if its to be played every year on a Wednesday. I'm sure neither club will be happy about it. Not fair on hardcore supporters. I'd go so far as to dump it.

Reactions: 3 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland

AFL considering Wednesday night grand final rematch to start season​

Jake Niall

Also AFL reckons Richmond vs Carlton draws a crowd no matter when it will be held.

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Some rumour that the AFL is looking to move our season opener vs Carlton to a Wednesday night.
Now I'll watch the Tigers anywhere anytime but the AFL is taking the *smile* if they think a mid week game appealing to the average supporter who attends matches.
Thursday night's are bad enough but our club's leaders needs to give serious consideration to this traditonal* game going forward if its to be played every year on a Wednesday. I'm sure neither club will be happy about it. Not fair on hardcore supporters. I'd go so far as to dump it.

I hear you, ToO
Seems the AFL will pretty much do anything for money. It is now touting a grand final rematch for the Wednesday night.
Give it a break AFL and stop tinkering with everything.
Just let the Tigers open the new season with a BANG against the old enemy Carlton.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
May not be the popular view, but personally. .... I hate being the headline act for the opening of the season.... too stressful, even when we've been reigning premiers we've never put the blues away. Things will eventually turn and the pricks will start winning again.
I'd prefer a nice soft opening like the bombers and cats appear to get every year, which is normally a lowly rated interstate side at home!

Reactions: 11 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Dumbass sHocking still has his imprimatur on this. Poonce.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Save the GF rematch each year for a later round. No need to have your headline act as the warm-up each year. The GF rematch should be in about round 4-6 once the season has started to settle down and needs a headline act.

Tigers v Blouses has been a mismatch each year yet still delivers massive hype. Keep it as the season's appetiser.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
May not be the popular view, but personally. .... I hate being the headline act for the opening of the season.... too stressful, even when we've been reigning premiers we've never put the blues away. Things will eventually turn and the pricks will start winning again.
I'd prefer a nice soft opening like the bombers and cats appear to get every year, which is normally a lowly rated interstate side at home!

It can also shatter an entire seasons hope and dreams, a bit like our 2009 season opener.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We're also the guinea pig match for the AFL's off season wacky rule changes.

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
This is an attempt to normalise another week night the way they have with Thursday nights. They want as many games as they can in prime time fta to maximise 7’s advertising revenue.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This how i see it.
*Don't play Gc before round 5.
*Don't play Port before round 6.
*West coast mid season
*play Essendon after they have won 3 in a row.
*Collingwood after the bye.
*Brisbane before round 4
*Sydney after the bye.
*Stkilda in the first month
*Melbourne mid season
*Gws before Toby gets back
*Footscary early before round 5
Carlton Adelaide North Freo anytime

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
Footy hasn't been in the interest of the average supporter for a while now.

Wednesday night, *smile* off

Reactions: 5 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

Its factually incorrect, we haven't had the season opener since 2007, in 2014 we played GC up there Rd 1.

As some may say

FACT

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Its factually incorrect, we haven't had the season opener since 2007, in 2014 we played GC up there Rd 1.

As some may say

FACT
Was that the game that Rance missed and Ty got stung by a jellyfish before the game? I think it was Jack Martin’s debut and the commentators had him winning the Rising Star, the Brownlow and the Norm Smith, he didn’t last the game.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Was that the game that Rance missed and Ty got stung by a jellyfish before the game? I think it was Jack Martin’s debut and the commentators had him winning the Rising Star, the Brownlow and the Norm Smith, he didn’t last the game.
All I remember is being there & we *smile* lost !

Just checked, Tross & Ty both played

This little nugget went OK

1638435552652.png

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Can imagine the interest in a Dees v Dogs game on a Wednesday night, regardless where they finished last year. Will be lucky to pull 50K. Waste of time and further evidence of the AFL taking RFC supporters for granted.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'll just be buzzing to go to the footy, not gonna start nit picking about what night I'd prefer to go!

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
..... in the meantime we ignore the fact that the crowds haven't come close to meeting the hype!!!

Each year they talk this game up "90,000 plus!" but it's rarely close.......................

Wednesday ............ in the new normal ticketed, reserved seats, inflated prices, QR code world will struggle to pull 60,000

Just a hunch...............

PS - VIC will be back in Lockdown anyhow so it's all mute...............