Semi Final Richmond Vs North Melbourne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Semi Final Richmond Vs North Melbourne

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Disappointing loss ( I expected it TBH), but great improvement & our girls were good to watch with some exciting play

I am still struggling to understand why they play 16 a side

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Disappointing loss ( I expected it TBH), but great improvement & our girls were good to watch with some exciting play

I certainly struggle with why they persist with throwing the ball in from 10m inside the boundary and the last touch out of bounds free kick in the middle of the ground. I suspect the AFL wanted to bring this crap in by stealth, but what they really need to do is to remove these stupid rules from the AFLW.

DS

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I certainly struggle with why they persist with throwing the ball in from 10m inside the boundary and the last touch out of bounds free kick in the middle of the ground. I suspect the AFL wanted to bring this crap in by stealth, but what they really need to do is to remove these stupid rules from the AFLW.

DS
They've been using last touch rule in SANFL for a while now

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I don't mind the 16 a side. I think there should be differences with the AFLW, but more so, I think the 50m arc is too big for them, it should be smaller. The girls in general simply cannot kick that far. I mean comparing to the mens game, how many men can kick from 50m? Maybe 60%? How many girls can? Surely less than 5%.

I'd bring it to an inside 40 and I'd shink the ground length down a touch. One of the reasons I think we see quarters played in 1 half of the field so regularly, is because the girls can't kick long enough to get over the back of the defensive zone (the AFL have been spending years to try and fix this in mens footy as we know) which creates very 1 sided quarters. Bring the ground in a touch and it should make it easier to break out of those defensive zones and spread the game a bit more.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

DS

The 10m inside the boundary is to try and open up the field I think, where the men might spread it easier, the girls tend to not take as clean possession and then this creates a secondary ball up, so they'd prefer this secondary ball up to be more central rather than on the wing, when its easier to open the ground up, rather than what would inevitably happen too regularly, the dump kick under pressure down the line.

I'm still not sure about the lasso rule, I don't mind it for the girls game, pretty much due to the same issue as above. It should theoretically open the game up more than another boundary throw in.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I understand the reasons for the different rules, but I really don't like them at all. The women's game has improved hugely since the AFLW began, time to get rid of the different rules.

DS

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I don't mind the 16 a side. I think there should be differences with the AFLW, but more so, I think the 50m arc is too big for them, it should be smaller. The girls in general simply cannot kick that far. I mean comparing to the mens game, how many men can kick from 50m? Maybe 60%? How many girls can? Surely less than 5%.

I'd bring it to an inside 40 and I'd shink the ground length down a touch. One of the reasons I think we see quarters played in 1 half of the field so regularly, is because the girls can't kick long enough to get over the back of the defensive zone (the AFL have been spending years to try and fix this in mens footy as we know) which creates very 1 sided quarters. Bring the ground in a touch and it should make it easier to break out of those defensive zones and spread the game a bit more.
interesting take re the 50 m line.

Is it just there for reference, I mean we don't actually use it for anything do we ? (well apart from 666)

Having 18 a side would help with the fact their kicks are shorter wouldn't it ?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
interesting take re the 50 m line.

Is it just there for reference, I mean we don't actually use it for anything do we ? (well apart from 666)

Having 18 a side would help with the fact their kicks are shorter wouldn't it ?

I think the idea with 16 was the womens game is a lot more congested, adding another 2 to that makes it difficult.

The 50m is a reference line, correct, but its a reference line for determining scoring chances, Ie. go inside 50 and you can score. A lot of kicks are shallow entries and in the mens game we see kicking for goal from 40m-50m, but most of the girls don't look for shots from there, and if they do they are overstretching and you get a fair few OOTF's because of it.

Changing to a F40 for me would be about perception, you go inside the "scoring zone" a little closer to goal.

In terms of congestion and going back to 18, I'm not sure. 1 maybe there aren't enough girls in the system right now to make it work, maybe its better to shrink the field size, but to aid congestion (and a lot of the congested nature is due to ball handling skills) its a bit more difficult (and I think why they want to keep these other rules in to restrict the number of ruck contests) as time will be the impact here as more training occurs in elite environments then skills will continue to improve (I think we've seen this dramatically over the last 3 years) but in the interim do they go with structural setups, maybe 2 defenders remain inside D50 at all times? Not sure.

The game spectacle is definitely improving, the quality of the footy has improved immensely in our 3 seasons, but the game is still very very congested. I wonder if there is someway to compare to the mens (where people complain its still too congested) as I suspect contested / uncontested possessions will be higher in the womens game. Its a different game I know, and I enjoy the contested nature of it, but sometimes it does get very bogged down in one half of the field. How do we go about trying to change that so the game can spread easier is the question we need to ask.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Congestion is clearly a problem, and I would prefer to see the rule makers keep their hands off any solution, it isn't like they have managed to solve the problem in the men's game.

The 40m line would be good, it is only a marker, well, it will be once you get rid of the silly last touch rule along with 6-6-6.

DS

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I think its better to have played and lost to the best, than beating a team like the Pies. We were never likely to win the premiership this year, so seeing the gap between us and the best was really important for us as a team.

I kind of see it a bit like the men between 2013-15, we could see where we needed to get to and weren't quite good enough, we recruited who we needed and that led us to the 2017 premiership.
Yea quite a good analogy, took us a few years to get finals footy . We’re at about 2013 right now

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Congestion is clearly a problem, and I would prefer to see the rule makers keep their hands off any solution, it isn't like they have managed to solve the problem in the men's game.

The 40m line would be good, it is only a marker, well, it will be once you get rid of the silly last touch rule along with 6-6-6.

DS
I actually think they do need to intervene to relive congestion . One thing the girls are quickly adept at is pressure , much less the ability to work thru it , too often when majority of field is in f50 it is a mess . I’d advocate that a couple of defenders must remain in D50 , something like that is req to improve std and watchability of the w game

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I actually think they do need to intervene to relive congestion . One thing the girls are quickly adept at is pressure , much less the ability to work thru it , too often when majority of field is in f50 it is a mess . I’d advocate that a couple of defenders must remain in D50 , something like that is req to improve std and watchability of the w game

I prefer not to relive congestion.

But I digress.

If you watch the games with the best teams, which are Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide, you see them switching, finding a clear outlet, players running past in space to receive. Fiddling with the rules doesn't fix congestion, better skills, better systems, better tactics do fix congestion.

Australian Football has always had the unique feature of players being able to roam the ground without restriction, it is fundamental to our game, it is part of what makes it the best football code in the world. I really don't like fiddling with fundamentals like this.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Bitches is an offensive term now??

Jeez, what were these guys in charge of the AFL called in school!! I have a 12 and 14 year old and if *smile* was the worst thing coming out of their mouths I'd be stoked.
It was so visible our human eyes can zoom in like this TV camera did. Shame Richmond shame.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

DS
It's not last touch. It's only if a kick or handball goes out between the 50 metre arcs.

I don't want the rules changed for the AFLW but that is a good one.

In terms of congestion, this is such an easy problem to resolve (this is applicable to the men too). The umpires need to blow the whistle quickly as soon as a hint of a pack forms. Sometimes the girls all stop for a ball up and then the umpire blows the whistle.

Oh, and kill bitches.

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
She can claim it's just a thing between the twins, Skill Bitches. Unfortunately the 'S' in front of kill was rubbed off when she landed that massive hip and shoulder.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users