Semi Final Richmond Vs North Melbourne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Semi Final Richmond Vs North Melbourne

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
A shame but TBH not even close to the quality of Brisbane and Melbourne.

Great season by the girls though. Showed belief all year and love the coach.

The season will hold us in great stead for the future.

Reactions: 4 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
In hindsight it would have been better to finish out of the top 4 and play Collingwood in that first final. We ended playing probably the best team and then the best team from the bottom half of the 8.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A disappointing end to the season.

But, huge steps forward this year. Making the finals, and maybe lucky to get top 4 but we were top 4 on games won/drawn so well deserved.

Defence has been great this year, but the last couple of weeks showed what teams who get clean possession and pass the ball into the forward line, as opposed to bombing it in, can do. It is damned near impossible to defend against clean possession and we allowed too much clean possession further up the ground. You could see it time and again that North were able to spread and pass to get around our defence. Plus, their passes were on target, much better skills than we possess.

Richmond? We have a high proportion of handballs to kicks but our handballs are very inaccurate. Puts the receiving player under the pump immediately. Needs a lot of improvement. We seemed to be outnumbered at the contest constantly and also had less outlets, which leads to dump kicks down the ground which are easily intercepted. To some extent it is a strategy to get the most out of our list, but was exposed in the finals. Still, it got us to the finals!

Getting 2 finals worth of experience I reckon is going to be valuable. What the last 2 games have shown us is the level we need to get to if we are going to be a chance. Also shows just how well we did to draw with North in the last round, they seriously are a better team.

The umpiring was astoundingly bad. They pulled frees out of their arses for us in the first and promptly pulled them out of their arses for North for the next 3 quarters. What is their problem? Are they unable to concentrate on both sides for the whole game? Frees 6-2 our way at quarter time and 10-17 by the end, that's 4-15 in 3 quarters. They simply would not pay frees to Richmond players for the last 3 quarters, I'll let the North supporters complain the other way for the first quarter. FFS just adjudicate the game consistently.

North are good but I can't see them getting past Melbourne next week. Melbourne, Brisbane and to a lesser extent, but close, Adelaide, are a class above everyone else. North are closer to those three than we are but I still don't think at the same level.

Work to do but the trajectory is in the right direction. Some good recruiting and work on skills, maybe a plan B for when the opposition chip it around and we can get better. The climb up the ladder for expansion teams has proven damned difficult. Look at the teams at the top, of the 5 left all were there in year 1 except North who gained entry in 2019. Gold Coast made finals in 2020 but that was the conference system and they came 4th out of 7 in their conference, apart from that we're the only 2020 expansion team to make finals. Clearly early entry into the competition is a huge advantage, Peggy must be livid they wouldn't grant us a licence in the first lot and in the first expansion.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
our midfielders were being held before they could get the ball all game, but no frees. North players just kept doing it because they weren't being penalised.

Happens all the time, in both women's and men's, a blight on the game.

Another blight is the constant blocking while miles away from the contest. We have to combat this better as they are not going to do anything about it. Shepherding is good but you can't shepherd more than 5 metres from the ball according to the work of fiction they call the rules of the game.

DS

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The umpiring was astoundingly bad. They pulled frees out of their arses for us in the first and promptly pulled them out of their arses for North for the next 3 quarters. What is their problem? Are they unable to concentrate on both sides for the whole game? Frees 6-2 our way at quarter time and 10-17 by the end, that's 4-15 in 3 quarters. They simply would not pay frees to Richmond players for the last 3 quarters, I'll let the North supporters complain the other way for the first quarter. FFS just adjudicate the game consistently.
Just a never ending problem for us. Men or Women. Thinking about that fARC issue the other day, I wonder what's next for us in any game of 2023.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Cows v Skunks at Unley reminds me of those 70s games with puddles around. Moorabbin?

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
One last comment: just watched the press conference with Ryan Ferguson, he answered the questions well, we know what we need to do and we know where the gap is.

But, FFS, can the amateurs at the AFL do something about the press conferences. It is a joke, you can't hear the questions being asked. This is simple, very very simple, you have a staffer with a roving mike for the journos asking questions. Plenty of other organisations do this, why are the AFL so useless?

DS

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
AFL is a tough old game and our girls have come far in so few seasons. So, they lost today but with their achievements this season they have done the club proud, the supporters proud and above all themselves proud.
Should be a force to be reckoned with next season

Reactions: 5 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
In a two woman forward line it is incredibly difficult to score or hold the ball inside 50 if your contested marking pack crashing machine is upfield competing against quality talls.

I don’t know where they will find a replacement for Courtney Wakefield. Maybe they can find her wherever they found Sheerin.
Would Collingwood do a trade for Molan and Reid? We traded a dinosaur and got Shevlin.

We need to steal Garner for our midfield. Conti, Garner, Mackenzie, Seymour. If only.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
This year I have really enjoyed watching the AFLW, making the time to watch the games. Obviously winning helps, but I like the style of play and the heart showed by the girls.

For me it was a coming of age year and gone from novelty to genuine footy following.

I hope it only continues to grow and reaches a point where the crowds can support a professional comp. The local leagues are now full of woman's teams and the girls appear to love the game.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
This year I have really enjoyed watching the AFLW, making the time to watch the games. Obviously winning helps, but I like the style of play and the heart showed by the girls.

For me it was a coming of age year and gone from novelty to genuine footy following.

I hope it only continues to grow and reaches a point where the crowds can support a professional comp. The local leagues are now full of woman's teams and the girls appear to love the game.

The standard is improving a lot, the lowest few teams are still a bit of a mess but they will improve. The game is a lot better than a couple of years ago, watch the top teams and they are playing really good football. Plus, the Tigers are a hell of a lot better than a couple of years ago, a lot of catching up has happened and now we are not far off the best teams. Still, have to keep improving as there is no doubt the rest of the competition will.

DS

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Similar parallels to the Mens team. Too reliant on too few up forward. And now Wakefield has retired it will be Brennan alone in the forward line.
When you think we had Alice Edmond on our list (now doing great things at Bulldogs) and Phoebe Monaghan (similar at Brisbane). Yet we persist with some fairly ordinary (and speculative) first round picks (Molan especially).
Hopefully Cordner back from a knee will bolster our tall defensive stocks and need to extract one of those tall athletic forwards from Brisbane/Melbourne. Easier said than done.
Had a good year just a few little improvements to come.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
A shame but TBH not even close to the quality of Brisbane and Melbourne.

Great season by the girls though. Showed belief all year and love the coach.

The season will hold us in great stead for the future.
Yep pretty evident we were a level below the remaining 4 sides , still we took great strides this year , I was on board and loved it , can only get better

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Similar parallels to the Mens team. Too reliant on too few up forward. And now Wakefield has retired it will be Brennan alone in the forward line.
When you think we had Alice Edmond on our list (now doing great things at Bulldogs) and Phoebe Monaghan (similar at Brisbane). Yet we persist with some fairly ordinary (and speculative) first round picks (Molan especially).
Hopefully Cordner back from a knee will bolster our tall defensive stocks and need to extract one of those tall athletic forwards from Brisbane/Melbourne. Easier said than done.
Had a good year just a few little improvements to come.
Nothing like men’s tbh However depth is paramount and essentially the diff bw us and the sides above

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
In hindsight it would have been better to finish out of the top 4 and play Collingwood in that first final. We ended playing probably the best team and then the best team from the bottom half of the 8.
That’s actually not as silly as it sounds however I reckon they’d still value the 2 games

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Think we woukd have had 2 games anyway and knocked out at the same stage but we woukd have beaten Collingwood first up

I think its better to have played and lost to the best, than beating a team like the Pies. We were never likely to win the premiership this year, so seeing the gap between us and the best was really important for us as a team.

I kind of see it a bit like the men between 2013-15, we could see where we needed to get to and weren't quite good enough, we recruited who we needed and that led us to the 2017 premiership.

Reactions: 2 users

BetterTigers

Tiger Rookie
May 21, 2011
Grandstand not open which is odd.
I had been hopeful as I had "Grand1" tickets ... but the officials at the game said it was a bit of a misunderstanding. The grandstand was off limits for all but about 20 people due to OH&S issues - and they all seemed to have laptops etc in some kind of official capacity.

We were happy anyway because we got good seats just in front of the stand ... girls cracked in really hard but Kangas too big, too strong overhead and much much cleaner with the ball on the ground.

One thing we need to improve is getting clean use of the ball below the knees ... noticed it in both finals that Lions and Kangas could one grab the ball and create space ... but our fumbles put our ball carriers constantly under pressure.

Really enjoying the womens tigers tho. keep it up.