Shame Herald Sun Shame | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shame Herald Sun Shame

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Used to look forward to the day after the draft.
Would walk down to the Servo and buy Herald Sun where you would get detailed info on the draft.
All the players weights heights mini backgrounds.
Was great.
So a little dismayed today. OK make that hugely dismayed.
No write ups no full lists. They listed the first 6 players picked. That's it.
Apparently you have to go online if you want the full breakdown.
And of course all of that info is paywalled.
I hate where this world is going.
So if any of you are planning on buying paper today my advice is don't.
On the positive side I will save a heap from no longer buying this fish and chip wrap paper.
Shame Herald Sun Shame.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'll happily pile on this one.

get *smile* HS.

we, the PRE community demand;

1. Bring back the draft wrap

2. Immediately desist from sending Tiger fans Melbourne storm premiership memorabilia

3. Stop being a breeding ground for dog whistling *smile*

Reactions: 4 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Is it true that the draft was painfully slow and didn't finish until 11pm? Not surprised it hasn't been covered in full in the print edition.

Oh it be true.

Check out the 2020 draft thread, it was heaps more entertaining than the draft itself.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah, just the timing of the Draft makes it impossible to get into print the next morning

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Is it true that the draft was painfully slow and didn't finish until 11pm? Not surprised it hasn't been covered in full in the print edition.
That's the exact reason. They would have had to start printing before the draft finished. I'd imagine if the draft had have finished at a reasonable time such as 9.30pm then they would have had a very detailed coverage.

It's similar if you live in the bush. The country edition goes to print early so they can get it into trucks for distribution the next morning. Hence the next day's paper doesn't have coverage of the previous night's game.

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Said it once and I'll say it again. Terminated my subscription to the HUN last year after footy season. I've never felt happier reading the news.

The HUN is a pile of dog *smile* newspaper. Give up on their crap journalism, the boofheads who write their footy stories (most with no nous at all).
Mark Robinson? Jon Ralph? Are these good quality journos? Nein!

I told the woman from News Limited why I cancelled my subscription when it came out, and she was left so shocked, speechless, she had no idea what to say. She asked me to reconsider in the future, and as she hung up the phone kinda went whoa!

The Age - atlhough it has poorer quality editing (done offshore I believe), has much better quality journalism than the HUN, all round. If you don't like that, try the online FREE paper The New Daily (be aware it's sponsored by the superannuation industry - so any articles about superannuation are a tad biased). Unfortunately, TND doesn't have much of a decent sports section, but at least you'll get decent news coverage.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The HUN has been unreadable for over a decade. They do not have one good sports journalist.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The HUN Is s terrible newspaper, barely takes 5 minutes to read.

But this is the irony of new technology, and probably also the massive staff reductions at newspapers.

The excuse that the draft ended too late is just that, an excuse.

When I was a kid the Sporting Globe came out on Saturday Night and it had the latest scores of all the games held in the afternoon and usually had write ups on each game too, all this within just over 2 hours of the games finishing on a Saturday afternoon. Plus, this was back before computers and the internet. The stories were dictated over the phone and the paper laid out manually and typeset and printed in less time than it takes today. You can do it today, but they don't employ enough staff to get the material into the print edition, despite the fact that the draft ended at least 6 hours before the paper is at newsagents.

The trouble is that they plan the newspaper a few days earlier and they just don't care whether they get the latest news in.

Yet more evidence, as if any was needed, that computerisation of these things often adds time to tasks, adds to the number of steps to complete a task etc. I blame the awful systems that we all seem to have to put up with these days. How can it possibly be slower to get digital photos into a newspaper when in the old days you had to turn any photo from a constant tone original into a halftone to print it? It is the way they organise themselves which leads to these problems, it is more than possible to get late stories and photos into a newspaper with computerised layout and I presume they are all using direct to plate so plate up is quick - they just can't be bothered.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Correct—they can get the results and reports of games that finish at 10.30 pm in the next day's paper so they could—and should have—done better with the draft.

Note that there are several editions of the printed paper—at the very least, a city edition and a country edition. The city edition almost always carries news and results up to late the previous evening.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Live coverage suggests it ran until nearly 11:30. Did any other newspaper have a full rundown in its print edition?

6QWrr7Y.jpg

Agree with the assertion above that the HS has no footy writers above average.

• Haha

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
The standard of footy journos is at an all time low. All the flogs at the AFL and HS just want to get their ugly mugs on the telly. No one wants to do the hard yards to build a reputation on breaking stories for a decade or more

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The Age home delivery Melb suburbs had the Top 10. ten to be clear.

But they print that in Ballarat so not sure which draft year.

• Haha

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
All major print media is brain numbing and brain washing dross, all content controlled and driven by those who own it.

Everyone needs to do them selves a really big favour and stop reading them (Age and HS) and stop watching Main Stream News.

True Unbiased Investigative Journalism is dead.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
The HUN Is s terrible newspaper, barely takes 5 minutes to read.

But this is the irony of new technology, and probably also the massive staff reductions at newspapers.

When I was a kid the Sporting Globe came out on Saturday Night and it had the latest scores of all the games held in the afternoon and usually had write ups on each game too, all this within just over 2 hours of the games finishing on a Saturday afternoon. Plus, this was back before computers and the internet. The stories were dictated over the phone and the paper laid out manually and typeset and printed in less time than it takes today. You can do it today, but they don't employ enough staff to get the material into the print edition, despite the fact that the draft ended at least 6 hours before the paper is at newsagents.

The trouble is that they plan the newspaper a few days earlier and they just don't care whether they get the latest news in.

Yet more evidence, as if any was needed, that computerisation of these things often adds time to tasks, adds to the number of steps to complete a task etc. I blame the awful systems that we all seem to have to put up with these days. How can it possibly be slower to get digital photos into a newspaper when in the old days you had to turn any photo from a constant tone original into a halftone to print it? It is the way they organise themselves which leads to these problems, it is more than possible to get late stories and photos into a newspaper with computerised layout and I presume they are all using direct to plate so plate up is quick - they just can't be bothered.

DS
Yes, you could buy the pink paper with a punch near to the Croxton Park, read the reports of other matches and take the form guide to the forgetmenots at the Showground!

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Did anyone actual stayed to the end of the draft?
*smile* boring extended piece of garbage i've ever seen.
started watching around pick 16 and then turn off at around pick 21.
Can't believe they can stretch something long to 3 hrs+

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I watched almost all the way through. Had a 1 hr telephone call between round 1 and 2.

I'm only half joking

• Haha

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Used to look forward to the day after the draft.
Would walk down to the Servo and buy Herald Sun where you would get detailed info on the draft.
All the players weights heights mini backgrounds.
Was great.
So a little dismayed today. OK make that hugely dismayed.
No write ups no full lists. They listed the first 6 players picked. That's it.
Apparently you have to go online if you want the full breakdown.
And of course all of that info is paywalled.
I hate where this world is going.
So if any of you are planning on buying paper today my advice is don't.
On the positive side I will save a heap from no longer buying this fish and chip wrap paper.
Shame Herald Sun Shame.

I feel a bit like that in general with most of the media these days , hardly turn on the Tv anymore either

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
All major print media is brain numbing and brain washing dross, all content controlled and driven by those who own it.

Everyone needs to do them selves a really big favour and stop reading them (Age and HS) and stop watching Main Stream News.

True Unbiased Investigative Journalism is dead.
Please, do not ever put The Age in the same basket as the Herald Sun.

The likes of Nick McKenzie, Michael Bachelard, Tammy Mills and Richard Baker at The Age are outstanding reporters who show no fear nor favour.

Adele Ferguson has done some incredible work uncovering massive worker underpayments by big companies including 7-11 and Dominos. Her work exposing the exploitation of franchisees at RFG was groundbreaking.

Old hands Ross Gittins and Tony Wright are Walkley award winners.

Greg Baum, Peter Ryan, Michael Gleeson and Jake Niall are quality sports reporters.

In comparison, I'd be embarrassed to call the Herald Sun my professional workplace.

Reactions: 11 users