Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I hadn't realised that Shed was still copping so much flack as recently as 3 years ago.

Two-thirds of the way through 2017 I reckon his place in the side was a little shaky. He has been a different player since then with his consistency.

Not going to rewrite history. He used to be a "capable" player who had runs of good form and bad form rather than good seasons.

Thought he was a clear BOG last night.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That's true, he was occasionally brilliant, occasionally unsighted, occasionally bad.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Shedmond released Dustymond to FF, and it all went seriously tits up for the Bears.

Speaking of tits up Broadymond shut Hippy out of the game as he did in round 23 despite hardly touching the footy.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I reckon it's time for the Shank300 to happen. He will be our Shaun Burgoyne and play another 5 years.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Shane was just interviewed on 3aw ... usual humble self.... uncontracted for next year but said all he wants to do is stay @ richmond and is clearly not motivated by the dollars IMO.
Though turning 31 next month, reckons his body feels like it's 25!

Right at the end, the Warrandyte wino just had to call him Titch.... which you would think by now 99% of the footy world know he hates. He let it pass, .... I couldn't and got through and left a message for Blobbo. Was about to go off air and probably wouldn't give a toss anyway...!

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Lol at those acting like Shed has been playing like this his whole career and tut tutting the early critics.

There's a reason he's not being criticized like he has been a few years ago - he's much more consistent now. I know, crazy right?

Having said that, I reckon he was BOG.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Lol at those acting like Shed has been playing like this his whole career and tut tutting the early critics.

There's a reason he's not being criticized like he has been a few years ago - he's much more consistent now. I know, crazy right?

Having said that, I reckon he was BOG.

He was definitely a lot less consistent in the past. His kicking was very unreliable too. He's stepped up hugely. Has always had the quick reflexes though. Personally I loved Sheds early in his career then my beliefs waned a bit but in the last 3 or so years he's been elite.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Afl ratings has Shed's bio timeline start at rd 6 2016 where he is rated 34 in the AFL.

Those ratings are based on a persons last 40 games in the previous two seasons so he is rated 34 for games going back to early 2014.

He starts 2017 at 81 because he misses games though injuries.

He starts 2018 at 53 in the AFL

He starts 2019 at No 14 in the AFL.

He is presently No 15 in the AFL

Yep he is the best form of his career for a number of reasons but he has been an AFL top 50 player for at least 6 seasons.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep he is the best form of his career for a number of reasons but he has been an AFL top 50 player for at least 6 seasons.

Top 50 means on average top 3 for your club. I can't see how he was in our top 3 players in 2014. Arguably could be now. I've seen AFL ratings put out some very weird results.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Top 50 means on average top 3 for your club. I can't see how he was in our top 3 players in 2014. Arguably could be now. I've seen AFL ratings put out some very weird results.

Yeah.... once saw Treleor rated elite:rotfl2

Been saying it for years..... half this *smile* put together by uni educated little nerds whose footy experience finished up when they exited oz kick!

Think Gerard Whateley...... get the picture? :nono

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Was great in the second half of 2014 and ended up 4th in the b&f, his best finish which was repeated last year.

In his first 150+ games, he earned Brownlow votes on two occasions. Reece Conca earned more, Chris Hyde earned more, Pat Bowden earned more, David Bourke earned more, Clinton King earned more. He really is a late bloomer.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Was great in the second half of 2014 and ended up 4th in the b&f, his best finish which was repeated last year.

In his first 150+ games, he earned Brownlow votes on two occasions. Reece Conca earned more, Chris Hyde earned more, Pat Bowden earned more, David Bourke earned more, Clinton King earned more. He really is a late bloomer.

Geez the brownlow votes argument :nono

Dylan Grimes and Merv Keane say hello.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Geez the brownlow votes argument :nono

Dylan Grimes and Merv Keane say hello.

Wasn't meant to be a direct comparison, more a measure of how little influence he had on games despite playing a chunk of midfield.

31 coaches' votes first 143 games
64 votes next 63 games
87 votes (plus a few from last night) last 47 games

Late bloomer.

Reactions: 2 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Afl ratings has Shed's bio timeline start at rd 6 2016 where he is rated 34 in the AFL.

Those ratings are based on a persons last 40 games in the previous two seasons so he is rated 34 for games going back to early 2014.

He starts 2017 at 81 because he misses games though injuries.

He starts 2018 at 53 in the AFL

He starts 2019 at No 14 in the AFL.

He is presently No 15 in the AFL

I hope these stats don't come from the same mob that said that at the start of 2019 Melbourne had the best list in the AFL.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Wasn't meant to be a direct comparison, more a measure of how little influence he had on games despite playing a chunk of midfield.

31 coaches' votes first 143 games
64 votes next 63 games
87 votes (plus a few from last night) last 47 games

Late bloomer.

You say that but he finished 6th in the B & F in 2010 and 8th in 2012.

He's been good for a while and a top liner since 2014.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You say that but he finished 6th in the B & F in 2010 and 8th in 2012.

He's been good for a while and a top liner since 2014.

"Good for a while" is fair. You don't get to play 200 games without being a good player.

The 6th was under the old voting system that favoured players who play more games, and Edwards was one of three to play every match. A decent fourth year, but it wasn't our strongest list.

Finished outside the top ten 8 times in 12 seasons, which is a fair reflection of his place in the pecking order for the majority of his career.

2015-17 he finished 12th/13th/15th @ 26-28yo. The maligned Grigg was 5th/6th/9th in the same period. Brandon Ellis was 11th/7th/11th @ 22-24yo.

He was always the guy with the unique skillset who did some eye-opening things, but frustrated by mixing his form and not standing up in big moments or matches (e.g. first three finals). It has all clicked for him in the last two years and his last ~50 matches incorporating premiership, AA and part-time captaincy have rewritten his CV. In that time he's gone from a good player to a little marvel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
did some of those things during the game that nobody else can do. his peripheral vision is next level

Reactions: 4 users