Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He was asked how different when he was drafted to now, hardly winning any games etc.

His response was if we didn't have those bad years we wouldn't have picked up Cotch and Dusty (add Rance to that).

Goes to show how early draft picks, selected well, developed and coached well can transform your club.

Food for thought over the next few years?
Ben Lennon and Griffens should say Hello too.
We *smile* up tooo many.
Our record in the last 12 years is embarrassing.
Thank God for the Rookie draft.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Always loved Shane from about game 2 at Coburg and even while he was a skinny shanky half forward.

Pivotal in our success. What we are not seeing this year is the Edwards and Lambert presence in our quick transitions.

Shane had and has great hands, skills and vision. What he also had was a great tank .

A pleasure to watch. We are so lucky. We've had Martin, Jack, Rancey and Cotchin amazing moments.

Only Dusty and Bolton rival Shed for the jaw dropping mesmerising play.

His gather and deliver to Lambert in the last quarter in the 2019 preliminary was a thing of beauty. So many shimmys, so many mercurial handballs so many times he made time stand still.

He always performed on the big stage. Loves dreamtime. Let's hope he and the boys get up for this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He deserves all the plaudits he gets. Has not just been a key part of our resurgence on field as a club but has been a 'glue' type player off field.
Universally admired & respected by his team mates & yet remains as humble as ever.

Reactions: 7 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He deserves all the plaudits he gets. Has not just been a key part of our resurgence on field as a club but has been a 'glue' type player off field.
Universally admired & respected by his team mates & yet remains as humble as ever.
He is pushing my buttons this year.
I don't mind Edwards.
Good player

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Reading all the stuff on club website RFC it’s so obvious why we’re carrying Edwards to his 300 game milestone
No matter what It’s madness we’re going along this path for an individual milestone ahead of winning games

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Now and then photo.
Collins and Connors have aged terrible.
* Peterson not in the after photo

72951862-E49B-455D-B08F-9ACDD535934F.jpeg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The mark of a really good player is to be watching the game and see him make a move or play in the blink of an eye and not register what just happened. Shane's sidestep, going through gaps that aren't there and accurate passing / sleight of hand to advantage at times are his hallmarks so he is well worth his 300
One of the slickest and most creative distributors by hand to putting the ball and a team mate in advantage.

His field kicking was a bit hit and miss earlier days earning him the nick name of shank.

His kicking at times made my head explode but no doubting his skill vision and creativity.

In the congestion Shane was in the Matrix and would always seem to find his way in and out or find a team mate more often then not.

Chaos footy allowed the RFC and his team mates to catch up with him after a decade.

Not surprising that his prime years correlated with the Tigers Dynasty over 4 dominant seasons.

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
One of the slickest and most creative distributors by hand to putting the ball and a team mate in advantage.

His field kicking was a bit hit and miss earlier days earning him the nick name of shank.

His kicking at times made my head explode but no doubting his skill vision and creativity.

In the congestion Shane was in the Matrix and would always seem to find his way in and out or find a team mate more often then not.

Chaos footy allowed the RFC and his team mates to catch up with him after a decade.

Not surprising that his prime years correlated with the Tigers Dynasty over 4 dominant seasons.
Absolutely correct. Shane always played instinctively and the chaos system allowed his teammates to play the same way so it all gelled to give us some golden years

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Reading all the stuff on club website RFC it’s so obvious why we’re carrying Edwards to his 300 game milestone
No matter what It’s madness we’re going along this path for an individual milestone ahead of winning games

Your ongoing dummy spit on this topic must be close to Guinness Book of Records qualification

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
He was asked how different when he was drafted to now, hardly winning any games etc.

His response was if we didn't have those bad years we wouldn't have picked up Cotch and Dusty (add Rance to that).

Goes to show how early draft picks, selected well, developed and coached well can transform your club.

Food for thought over the next few years?
Said this in another thread but it is worth repeating. The last club to win a premiership without a top 5 pick was Geelong in 2011 and they had Hawkins who surely would have been if he was taken as a f/s.

Talent matters.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
he did not give us zero. This is lynch mob scapegoating bulldust. It wouldn't matter what he did, the posts would be the same. To the eye it was a solid/ OK game. I looked at the stats and they back that up. Not world beating, not peak Shedda, but not zero, and not a man down. PRE *smile* me right off sometimes, players are either *smile* or superstars, there's no in between. Its crap.
There is the full spectrum. Certainly if you average out pre member player assessments. There is no conspiracy against Edeards. Part of the issue is that players who have been.superstars aren't playing at that level this year. Edwards being the most pronounced between peak and current form.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yes they are not the be all and end all, as I said, but to say they 'completely ignore any detail' or work, pressure, influence etc, is false. Wrong. You even quote disposal efficiency yourself, 50% good and bad, tha, by definition, is not ignoring any detail. If that were the case, why would we have stats? And besides, its not just the stats, to my eye he contributed, didn't star obviously, but contributed, he actually did carve a couple of holes with Shedda handballs friday.

As I said, my issue isn't with the fact that Shedda is nearing the end and not what he used to be, its just with the extreme black and white nature of a lot of posts. Shane is not the star he was, therefore he is a liability and should be thrown on the scrapheap ASAP regardless of credit in the bank, injuries, replacements etc.

ps. DE%: Edwards 54, Graham 53, Cotchy 56, Bakes 52
Happy to be critical of the last 4 named DE%. They are poor for any game.
if repeated over several weeks time to ask questions of them too.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
300 games.
Some of them brilliant.
Moments of exquisite skill and footy smarts.
The ability to break out against the very best opponents.

We want more of that, one last hurrah.
We've not carried him to 300, we've kept him because he can do what most players can't even imagine.
One last hurrah Shedda
So you are saying play 300 and that's it ?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Gun loved Broderick.

Geez the Roy's lost Timmy Pekin, Grant Lawrie, John Blakey, Butch Gale, Doug Barwick, Mat Dundas, Paul Broderick, Jamie Elliot, Paul Roos, Dicky Osborne, Doc Wheildon, Alistair Lynch and Gary Pert over the course of a handful of seasons.

No wonder they fell in a heap.
They lost them.because they were falling on a heap.