Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Massive in the first half when the rain was falling.

So skilled best hands in the business for marking and one touch play in the wet.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not sure I've seen a Tiger with slicker hands or movement in traffic. Shimmy, Hess's, stop backs, leans, fades it's like watching Messi mixed with Sugar Ray Leonard.

Truly unique footballer. Would love to see the extended 10 minute highlight package that the players would've seen.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
27 disposals, 3 contested marks and a goal wasn't enough for him to make the team of the week. Sheda continues to fly under the radar with the so called experts.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He was phenomenal early in the game. Set up the win.

It doesn't surprise me that he doesn't make some AFL jerno's team of the week, so much of what he does can't be detected by human eyes at regular speed.
He's like Neo from The Matrix..bullet time.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I think even Zips likes him now.

I think even Ridley likes him now:p

I didn't appreciate him like others in his earlier years but the last few seasons I've seen the light. Late to the party I know.

He's a phenomenal player and seems to be getting better with age. Another great game in his 250th and it's completely conceivable that he could play another 3-4 years and go well past 300. Here's hoping!

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think even Ridley likes him now:p

I didn't appreciate him like others in his earlier years but the last few seasons I've seen the light. Late to the party I know.

He's a phenomenal player and seems to be getting better with age. Another great game in his 250th and it's completely conceivable that he could play another 3-4 years and go well past 300. Here's hoping!
Better late than never Ridley ;)

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We have won 14 games.
He has been good to very good more then half.
Stick a quite $50 on him to finish top 5 in the browneye.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Early days I liked him, but then I like everybody. Except sometimes Short or Ellis. Hell, I even liked Morris and Vickery.

You could always see he had something, but to be fair to his critics he was very inconsistent.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
A brief Story of how Richmond almost didn't have Shane Edwards.

I picked a bloke up hitchhiking this morning. Not your usual hitcher. A large middle aged man whose car had broken down.
As he approached the car, he obviously saw the menagerie of richmond stickers on my car, because he introduced himself and the conversation settled immediately to football, and quickly to Richmond, and quickly to Shane Edwards.

This bloke was a skilled conversationalist who was elite at reading his audience. He was Brisbane Lions main Adelaide scout for 5 years around the turn of the century.

'you know Shane Edwards'? he goes, knowing the answer, but probably not expecting one as expansive.
'Of course. The unheralded Richmond's shaun Burgoyne. the most creative exponent of handball the game has ever known. It took his teammates almost a decade to understand him, but I understood him almost immediately'

Scout grinned and nodded broadly. The conversation had achieved the rare Flow that sportsmen sometimes talk about.

'yeah, that's him. I watched him through 05/06 at North Adelaide and I pretty much said what you just did to Brisbane. I explained that this kid was the recruiting hill I would die on. I gave them a full dossier and was in their ear for 2 years and eventually simply said 'Take him. he will be a unique kind of star. If you dont take him, there is no point in me scouting for you'.

I nodded and stayed quiet. Scout was on a roll and I was riveted.

'But Brisbane were really into this local kid. Albert Proud. Yeah he looked good, and Brisbane wanted to invest in some local talent. They took Proud at 22. Tigers swooped on Edwards at 26. I handed in my badge to Brisbane'

'Im very glad your recruiting dream came to an abrupt end'. I grinned. 'we love Shane. he is a very special player. I know im just a bloke who has picked you up in an old *smile* ute out of Ballina, but you were right and you have my utmost respect'

Scout laughed and jumped out at his destination.

I drove home with some king prawns caught last night, opened a VB tally, checked the fluctuations on the Caulfield races, and sat almost entirely content. looking forward to opening another tally and watching a Shane Edwards-less Brisbane competing for top spot.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users