Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Probably the key in the qualifying too with his third quarter.

Interestingly AFL player ratings had him 3rd best in the granny behind Dusty and Jack. Marlin 5th.

My favourite moment of the finals is his front and centre on the fly at the start of the last in the PF. Key moment in the game. Geelong had just kicked a goal before 3/4 time to make it a 4 point game. Shed swoops in , takes it clean, two Geeloing players grasp at air including Kelly who was in a better initial position to get the ball. Kick to Lambert who doesn't have to break stride in running into an open goal. Pure poetry, pure Shed.
Jus watched the game again. Right after the Lambert goal from the ball up Shed got the ball went through a space that wasn't there and dove handball to Houli. A beautiful passage that didn't give a goal but another example of Sheds brilliance

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Jus watched the game again. Right after the Lambert goal from the ball up Shed got the ball went through a space that wasn't there and dove handball to Houli. A beautiful passage that didn't give a goal but another example of Sheds brilliance

Well spotted mate.

Shedda has always been top class in close with his hands it was his field kicking that let him down.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Wait til you see Pickett hit someone. He doesn’t go out of his way to do it, but he is as hard as a cats head. Plenty of people in WA reckon Byron has nothing on him in this regard.

On the Verge of a Big Kev moment reading that.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
My favourite moment of the finals is his front and centre on the fly at the start of the last in the PF. Key moment in the game. Geelong had just kicked a goal before 3/4 time to make it a 4 point game. Shed swoops in , takes it clean, two Geeloing players grasp at air including Kelly who was in a better initial position to get the ball. Kick to Lambert who doesn't have to break stride in running into an open goal. Pure poetry, pure Shed.
No replay I have seen did justice to that kick to Lambert. On a TV screen it looks like a straight chip kick but live from essentially behind him you could appreciate the angle off the boot.
He took the ball at speed, spotted Lambert and check sided it at full pace with such precision that Lambo didn’t break stride.
It was extraordinary

Reactions: 3 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
There is a behind the kick clip which I like because it also shows the delayed panic of Kelly who was wistfully thinking of another clearance before realising he'd been ambushed, a flailing of hands and slump of shoulders as he is gazumped.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
No replay I have seen did justice to that kick to Lambert. On a TV screen it looks like a straight chip kick but live from essentially behind him you could appreciate the angle off the boot.
He took the ball at speed, spotted Lambert and check sided it at full pace with such precision that Lambo didn’t break stride.
It was extraordinary
Even more amazing if this was a set-up.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Wait til you see Pickett hit someone. He doesn’t go out of his way to do it, but he is as hard as a cats head. Plenty of people in WA reckon Byron has nothing on him in this regard.
worth seeing them work together (legally of course)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
There is a behind the kick clip which I like because it also shows the delayed panic of Kelly who was wistfully thinking of another clearance before realising he'd been ambushed, a flailing of hands and slump of shoulders as he is gazumped.
I just re-watched the final quarter of this PF and paid particular attention to your observation.
So good and in fairness to Lingy he does make mention of how good it was from Edwards.
Good times.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I don't we really appreciated Shane for what he does for the club until this last season when all our leaders were down. Up comes Shane as a temporary captain and led us from the front when our cubs really needed leading. In my mind I think that was the time we finally saw the complete Shane. A quite unassuming guy off the field but in my eyes a proven leader of our club equal to Cotch in manner and commitment.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't we really appreciated Shane for what he does for the club until this last season when all our leaders were down. Up comes Shane as a temporary captain and led us from the front when our cubs really needed leading. In my mind I think that was the time we finally saw the complete Shane. A quite unassuming guy off the field but in my eyes a proven leader of our club equal to Cotch in manner and commitment.
Yes, i was thinking just recently how Sheda steadied the ship for us when he played those games down back earlier in the season after we had lost badly to the the Scum and GWS. He's a bona fide A grade player.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
He's become the glue that holds the team together and makes several plays a game that an average player couldn't. I imagine he'd be quite taggable, but the opposition never seems to bother. Maybe his numbers aren't deemed important enough.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
He's become the glue that holds the team together and makes several plays a game that an average player couldn't. I imagine he'd be quite taggable, but the opposition never seems to bother. Maybe his numbers aren't deemed important enough.
perhaps because tagging him releases Dusty and Dion to 30+ and a blowout?
Or because his hands are so quick that the tagger would need to impede Shedda from being within 5 metres of the ball?
whatever. glad he is free to create magic

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Still severely under-rated is Sheds. His growth, particularly in his later years, has been remarkable. Same for Houli. Have become better with age.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Still severely under-rated is Sheds. His growth, particularly in his later years, has been remarkable. Same for Houli. Have become better with age.
Also underrated by the umpires. Unbelievable that he didn’t get a Brownlow vote in 2019

• Wow

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Also underrated by the umpires. Unbelievable that he didn’t get a Brownlow vote in 2019
Bloody hell.
No surprise then that I haven't been interested in the Brownlow *smile* ( beyond who got the prize a day or two after ) for a long, long time. Brownlows, All Australians pretty much a media wank fest n there's always a handful of darlings get picked pre programmed, then a couple of wet fart one season wonders get hyped n that's about it.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Now there's something I'd like to see!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Alot of Shane's best work in close doesn't get seen within the congestion, his vision and hands in close are elite, always have been.

His field kicking used to be where he let himself down somewhat.

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
So Goddard reports in the HS on each team's midfield,rates Tigers 4th best but no mention of Edwards as part of the midfield. He listed Prestia, Martin, Pickett, Cotchin, Graham and McIntosh. Seriously Edwards played the 2nd half of the season as starting midfielder. When will he finally get recognition? It's crazy.

• Angry

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
So Goddard reports in the HS on each team's midfield,rates Tigers 4th best but no mention of Edwards as part of the midfield. He listed Prestia, Martin, Pickett, Cotchin, Graham and McIntosh. Seriously Edwards played the 2nd half of the season as starting midfielder. When will he finally get recognition? It's crazy.

Should stick to directing movies!
What's with all these former St Kilda underachievers being the go to footy experts in the industry?

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Was just reading the article and feel the same
Also what about Lambert?
And McIntosh was/is a winger not a midfielder in the sense of the others
Goddard is a prize twat

That said - my take on the article is not to argue with anyone (especially Collingwood supporters) and agree with them. Yep - your midfield is so much better than ours.