Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
They have both had great careers, in a draft who would you select first between Shed and Lids, it's Sheda for me.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So has Sheds now surpassed Maurice as our greatest Indigenous player? I think he has.

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Sheds plays a different game to everyone else. He has the quickest hands I have seen in the AFL since Greg Williams retired. He is also the best since Williams in confined space, in a large pack of players in the midfield, for example. He has a deadly change of direction that is impossible to stop. His work on the boundary side of the play is outstanding. Not even Williams would rove packs on the skinny side between the pack and the boundary line the way he does. How many goals has he kicked or set up through his ability to run to wrong side to where everyone else goes and rove teh ball that the defenders are trying to kill over he boundary? Never seen anyone else do that regularly. Williams was a better player but not by as much as many would think.

Deledio was a gun midfielder, blessed with beautiful skills and pace to burn. He was more of an accumulator than Sheds. Very clean. Very neat. Very dangerous with ball in hand. He was all class and speed, without much X-factor. Didn't need it, he was a gun without it, in the traditional way. Sheds is 60% X-factor.

Two totally different players.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
So has Sheds now surpassed Maurice as our greatest Indigenous player? I think he has.
I would have never thought i'd say yes to a better indigenous player than Maurice, but i agree it's the Shed for me.

Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Not at all saying Lids is better than Sheds ,

All hypothetical , But there is the possibility the younger fitter Lids also may also have flourished under the newer gameplan , had great pace and elite ball use,

wrong place , wrong time for him

Reactions: 4 users

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
No contest.
Edwards has played in 2 Premiership teams and featured in the best 6 players for most final games between 2017/19.
That is what history will reflect and supporters will remember.
So, does this mean that you have Jack ahead of Richo?

Sometimes very good players just get stuck in an ordinary club and I would not have begrudged Richo had he gone to Hawthorn for the last 2-3 years.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Edwards and Deledio are two different types of player but they also compliment each other's game. Edwards can get the ball out to quick players on the outside in the blink of an eye and just as fast the quicker player, like Deledio, is off and gone.

You can see it more now the side is on top of its game. Lambert is the player usually running past for the hand ball. Or even Graham was reading Edwards better over last year

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Dunno. Not a big fan of trying to claim one player surpasses another from a different era. Will say that since we've figured out how to play Shedda's game, he's certainly lifted his performance from good / very good to excellent. Couple more seasons of the way he's playing n he'll sit comfortably alongside any of the indigenous players from any era.

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
2013 final he had 24 possessions, 2014 he had 29 and 2015 he had 17. Shedda had 12, 11 and 8 in the corresponding games. We also forget that our winning record with Lids playing was superior to when he didn’t and used to be commented on. Post Richo and before Dusty’s emergence Lids was our best player, that he didn’t stand up in big games is a myth that has been debunked on this site quite a few times.
That being said Shedda has since played very well in finals and is of course a dual premiership player but we shouldn’t rewrite history

I cannot recall any of those games him being great that's my point.Yeah he had 24 29 and 17 possies,but how much impact did he have on those games.Each to there own for me he went missing in games.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Without drawing on stats, I can't ever remember seeing Lids play a game as breathtaking as Sheds best.

Sheds will be remembered by the people who really understand the game, as one of the all-time greats of not just Richmond, but the game.

Its not denigrating Lids, his skill set of speed and power and class is a pretty standard champion midfielders skill set.

Sheds has a skill set that is without peer.
I absolutely love shedda and have been a defender of his over the years but a very quick check of stats shows that Lids 3 times had more than 35 possessions and kicked 4 or more goals, once he had 36 and 5 goals. That’s elite in any language at any time.
Our view of Lids is clouded by the past 3 years but there is no doubt he was a s
I cannot recall any of those games him being great that's my point.Yeah he had 24 29 and 17 possies,but how much impact did he have on those games.Each to there own for me he went missing in games.
He had a lot of impact, especially the first two. Played almost a loan hand in our midfield against Port Adelaide. He was as good as any player on our list in those 3 finals including many who played big parts in the premierships since.
I’m just responding to your comment that he didn’t stand up in finals because it’s just not true

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
lids was very unlucky in that he was playing in a crap team with poor leadership.

If lids was coming through now, he would have been even better.

Having said all that edwards is something that lids never was, a genuine midfielder

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
lids was very unlucky in that he was playing in a crap team with poor leadership.

If lids was coming through now, he would have been even better.

Having said all that edwards is something that lids never was, a genuine midfielder
Agree about Shed being a genuine/better midfielder.
I was looking at some stats the other day and was surprised that Shed has more clearance from less games than Lids.
I suppose an allowance should be made for Lids as he has missed a lot of footy the last few years and hasn't played much midfield in that time as well, but it surprised me because Shed has played a fair bit as a small forward.

Last edited:

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
If some of the stuff written on here is to be believed then maybe he was in fact party to the poor leadership. Dunno really, as he seems to still be pretty popular with his former teammates.
Pulled the wrong reign which in the end turned to *smile* for him and no doubt assisted us recruiting wise.

Maybe Dimma hugging him after the grand final was not all that it appeared :cool:

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
Shane by a country mile

they both play under the same structure (players game plan and admin) for a %large of their playing time at the tigers

Shane is a 2 time premiership player and in our best top 4, a great leader of the club and players esp the koori lads and getting better, the other is not and playing for box hill

• Haha

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Just had a look at Sheda and Lids stats, surprised to see that Sheda has more clearance from 20 less games than Lids, 667

Agree about Shed being a genuine/better midfielder.
I was looking at some stats the other day and was surprised that Shed has more clearance from less games than Lids.
I suppose an allowance should be made for Lids as he has missed a lot of footy the last few years and hasn't played much midfield in that time as well, but it surprised me because Shed has played a fair bit as a small forward.

more clearances in less games eh

That's interesting because there is no way Edwards has played as many midfield minutes as Lids over his career.

The biggest difference between them is that Lids could be tagged out of the game as a midfielder, Edwards on the other hand can't be stopped when he is on.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
more clearances in less games eh

That's interesting because there is no way Edwards has played as many midfield minutes as Lids over his career.

The biggest difference between them is that Lids could be tagged out of the game as a midfielder, Edwards on the other hand can't be stopped when he is on.

Thought you were using a pun for a moment, 'Edwards hands can't be stopped' ;)

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
His footwork is magic too, he pivots around like a pro basketballer and sells so much foot candy the opposition are comatose

Reactions: 1 users